Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2001 ZX-9R that is basically stock except for some frame sliders and raised bars. Now that I have the bike paid off I'm looking to start doing some mods. I don't have much mechanical experience so I would like to start small, any suggestions on where to begin? I'm thinking the first thing that needs to go are the stock turn signals, swapping them with some flush mounts. Anyone have some flushmounts that they really like and are semi-easy to install?

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
First thiing if it hasn't already been done, CHOP THAT REAR FENDER! I swear you'll get an increase in the top speed from cutting this 'air-brake' of a rear fender. lol.

·
Registered
96 Posts
nice bike, show us your pics! I've got an ex500 and if I ever finish getting her painted Im going to throw on a new exhaust. Everyone says Muzzy exhausts go very well with Kawi bikes. So, if I was you and had money to blow, Id throw in a new exhaust, power camander and a K&N airfilter, then hit the dyno cause you'll need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll definitely work on getting the rear fender chopped. I'm a little strapped for cash right now so anything that I do will need to be relativily cheap. ie, no exhaust or power commander for now.

Can I get away with putting in a K&N airfilter and not having to adjust stuff? I would like to switch to K&N, but not if it will screw up my performance.

Finally, no pics for me, I'm one of the few people left that doesn't own a digital camera. I've got the red/black scheme.

Thanks for the suggesitons guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend a jet kit from http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/

I put one of Ivan's kits in my 99 ZX9R to compliment a full Akrapovic system and MAN!, what a difference in smoothness. That kit does everything he claims and, IIRC, it'll work with your stock pipe or just a slip-on for that year 9R. On the downside: it's not the easiest thing to do for someone that doesn't turn wrenches regularly:-(

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
You know if I had the chance to do it over I would change out the suspension first to get better handling. Like re-stuff the forks get a tighter spring and a heavier oil (depending on the elevation you are at) and get rid of the Kayaba rear shock and put in a nice Fox Twin Clicker. When I first got the bike I was all about making it look good but now on the track....shit you can look as fancy as you like but if your bike cant run....well...thats what its all about making your bike go faster; eh?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't see any track days in the near future, is the stock suspension really that bad? I was considering some stainless brake lines...

·
Registered
5 Posts
BLEEBO said:
I recently bought a 2001 ZX-9R that is basically stock except for some frame sliders and raised bars. Now that I have the bike paid off I'm looking to start doing some mods. I don't have much mechanical experience so I would like to start small, any suggestions on where to begin? I'm thinking the first thing that needs to go are the stock turn signals, swapping them with some flush mounts. Anyone have some flushmounts that they really like and are semi-easy to install?
Ive owned 3 ZX9R. 96', 00' and presently a 02'. First of all you need to ask yourself is SHOW or GO.... Show looks good but do you want to look at it or ride it. Slip-On exhaust not only looks good but gives you the Sound and some extra HP. less than 15 minute to install. Steel Braided lines and some better brake pads make a huge difference. K&N filter dont really know if its working for me but its easy to install. Upgrade your front and Rear suspension. If you do alot of riding a corbin seat will make those long rides more enjoyable. about turn signals those big Kawi turn signals look ugly but everyone can see them when you use them. Thats my 2 cents

1 - 9 of 9 Posts