Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m getting an 01 R6 this Friday assuming that the loan does not have any more hold ups. The bike has a slip on pipe and the guy has a K&N that he never put on. What would be a good dreamer list of future mods? This is what I’m thinking down the road:

Jetting
Full header back exhaust
And what every is needed with the K&N (new airbox?)

Please make suggestion including brand names, since I’m new to the whole sportbike community.

Thanks,
Jason

P.S. I put this in the R6 section as well.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If the bike doesn't have it already, you will need to get some flush mount signals and a eliminator kit first. Maybe change the gearing too.

·
Registered
966 Posts
the k&n filter is just a filter you put in just like you do with the car. Wow a dream list...humm scotts stearing dampner, ohlins suspension all the way around, OZ racing rims, steel braided brake lines, Double HH brake pads, Pilot Power tires, Zero Gravity Double Bubble wind screen, C&G levers, Woodcraft rearsets.....this is just the beggining :drool.... oh yea, the most important...TRACK DAYS!!!

·
Registered
966 Posts
mj31 said:
If the bike doesn't have it already, you will need to get some flush mount signals and a eliminator kit first. Maybe change the gearing too.
Dont bother with stuff that doesnt serve a perpose, if it has stock blinker putting flush mounts on wont make it faster or better handeling :rolleyes put your money in performance....then again Im well past the :squid ly stage of bling/looks and posing.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
chsnprodigy said:
Dont bother with stuff that doesnt serve a perpose, if it has stock blinker putting flush mounts on wont make it faster or better handeling :rolleyes put your money in performance....then again I well past the :squid ly stage of bling/looks and posing.
I have to disagree, the bike is fast out of the box, but I don't like sport bikes with all the stock blinkers and undertail, I find them unattractive it's just doesn't fit the look of a sport bike. The first thing I did was get rid of the stock blinkers and put a eliminator kit on. It made my bike much more cleaner and allot nicer to look at. After that I did the pipe and gearing and I'm very happy with look and feel of my bike.

I just don't see how flush mounts and a eliminator kit is bling. I thought bling was allot of chrome????

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Definitely clean up the stock lighting mess. Good bang for the buck. A full Graves titanium system and PowerCommanderIII to complement the K&N filter. CRG levers. Ohlins or Penske rear shock. The list goes on. PM if you want, I have done all this and much more to my R1.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
chsnprodigy said:
Dont bother with stuff that doesnt serve a perpose, if it has stock blinker putting flush mounts on wont make it faster or better handeling :rolleyes put your money in performance....then again I well past the :squid ly stage of bling/looks and posing.
i disagree, the stock signals are very unatractive and can be ripped off very easily weather they are stolen or they break off in an accident. also that "shovel" they call a rear fender, is very unatactive and if you want to get tecknical, im sure it causes SOME wind drag. call me a :squid if you want but the flushmounts and fender eliminator will be my first upgrades to my r6.....and as of right now my r6 is plenty fast enough for me, so why spend the cash to make it even faster :bitchslap

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
nitrotc3drifter said:
i disagree, the stock signals are very unatractive and can be ripped off very easily weather they are stolen or they break off in an accident. also that "shovel" they call a rear fender, is very unatactive and if you want to get tecknical, im sure it causes SOME wind drag. call me a :squid if you want but the flushmounts and fender eliminator will be my first upgrades to my r6.....and as of right now my r6 is plenty fast enough for me, so why spend the cash to make it even faster :bitchslap
+1, Also I don't see how it's considered bling as it was said earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
966 Posts
nitrotc3drifter said:
:eek:nfloor wind drag...im sure your really concerned about wind resistance. Oh I miss understood your question then, since your not worried about performance mods, ie ohlins suspension and steel braided lines, you want looks. Well then chrome everything out and polish every part you can, oh and get a tv monitors put everywhere. You will look good in a parking lot. And dont be to concerend about people stealing your turn signals, they will just take the bike, and if you crash...the last thing your going to worry about is if you flush mounts make it through....I love how :newbie 's think...then again I was there at one time...thank god it only lasted a month.....I guess some people want to look good, then learn to ride the bike..not the other way around. If you learn to ride it first then worry about mods that look good, your mods will last alot longer becuase your mods wont hit the ground.

To clarify in my eyes, anthing that doesnt make the bike lighter, faster, stop better, handle better, turn in faster is a waist of money, so flush mounts arnt on my list of mods..they dont qualify.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
I'd invest the money in rider training. Trackdays, rider schools, and then suspension setup, and tires. Big blinkers are good. They may save your life one day. :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Anti-Hero said:
I'd invest the money in rider training. Trackdays, rider schools, and then suspension setup, and tires. Big blinkers are good. They may save your life one day. :)
+1

·
Registered
165 Posts
Anti-Hero said:
Good advice. Though I will differ about the blinkers. If its the old bulb style, invest in a set of leds, not only are the brighter, draw less from the battery, they also will last 3 times longer than regular bulbs. And they look better. :banana

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
chsnprodigy said:
:eek:nfloor wind drag...im sure your really concerned about wind resistance.
i wasn't serious :rolleyes , i said that because some of you get so over-obsessed with some of the things other people do to their bikes, or what you do to yours. im just gonna say do what YOU want to YOUR bike, because when you ask here, you will always get two different answers, and then argueing over who is right.

·
Registered
966 Posts
nitrotc3drifter said:
i wasn't serious :rolleyes , i said that because some of you get so over-obsessed with some of the things other people do to their bikes, or what you do to yours. im just gonna say do what YOU want to YOUR bike, because when you ask here, you will always get two different answers, and then argueing over who is right.
I didnt ask anybody about anything. You asked "what mods you should you do" and I gave you my awnser. I really dont care what you do to your bike, paint it pink and fur it to death...it makes no difference to me. Isnt that what happens in life anyways, you ask a question, and then you get different opionions. And no one to my knoledge is argueing over anything.....

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
sorry, i just quoted you about the wind drag thing, because i wasnt serious. the rest of my comments weren't toward you.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I asked this in another thread along the same lines and it was a threadkiller. What purpose can the front blinkers help us as motorcyclist? On the other hand, how can us having very visible front blinkers hurt us?

Hint to Q #1: Is it for safety for rider, or courtesy for other traffic?
Hint to Q #2: What could happen if signal is left on accidentally and fully visible (for safety of course)?

·
Registered
525 Posts
with a pipe and filter, the first thing you NEED is jetting. Your bike will be running lean (they are a bit lean from the factory even) and it will affect driveability and power.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
As you've already seen, you'll get lots of differing opinions on what you should do with your bike.

I haven't done a single thing performance-wise to my bike; it's already too frickin' fast.

Nor am I into bling, so I also haven't added anything to make it look better to the posing crowd. Ok, well, I did add a dent cover (er, "tank bra") to hide some damage imparted by the bike's previous owner. Hell, it still has a divit in the upper fairing (also courtesy of the PO) that I haven't gotten around to fixing yet.

I have spent a fair bit of green on my bike though; but everything I've added was to increase comfort and utility for daily all-weather commuting, long-distance riding, and multi-day overnight trips:

• Givi hard side cases
  • Tourmaster tailbag
  • Marsee tank bag
  • Genmar handlebar risers
  • Grip Puppies
  • Throttlemeister bar-ends
  • hard-wired Garmin 276C GPS

There. That's the sort of stuff that real motorcyclists do to their bikes. If you spend money on pointless performance mods on an already wicked-fast bike or on silly froo-froo bling, you're either a squid or a poser. I'm right and everyone else is wrong, and that's just the way it is.

:neener :D :popcorn

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
Ride it for a while and figure out what you don't like. Then go from there.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I didn't know that if you ride a plain jane bike that means you're a serious/good rider and if you mod it for looks that you are a poser. Dumbasses....

My mods:

Undertail, shortstalk rear blinkers, ZG double bubble windscreen in dark smoke, highmount 2 bros. slip on in carbon fiber, mesh in my vents, flushmount LED front signals, Integrated (so to speak) LEDs in my vents that glow red normally but flash amber in conjuction with my signals, hugger. I think that's it

More that I want:

Damper, some do-it-myself things to my seat(s), dreaming about new rear shock, maybe more LED work but dunno

My favorite type of rides:

Turns, turns, and more turns, maybe a small wheelie mixed in. This type of ride is hard to have in Kansas though. I'm looking at a track suit right now, and will get boots soon also so I can get on a track next summer if not this one.

Now, read "my mods" think to yourself, "Is this guy a poser, or a real rider?" Then read what kind of riding I like to do, and ask yourself the same thing. Am I gettin' through to you uppety jackasses? Let me know.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts