Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://superbikeplanet.com/2005/May/050520a.htm

Highly unlikely, just read this though and looked interesting. Especially since it would take a heck of a lot more than Mladin to beat Rossi. And Marco Melandri is number 2 in the points right now and riding pretty well.

·
Banned
1,097 Posts
Mladin's too heavy for those bikes. They don't handicap for bike+rider weight so he's go no chance against the 110 pound jockeys in MGP

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Colin Edwards- 145lbs
Alex Barros- 154lbs
Sete Gibernau- 155lbs
Valentin Rossi- 130lbs

Matt Mladin- 165lbs

THere is a slight difference I suppose.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
At 130lbs.....Rossi is a cheater!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will see a trend forming here though. I have a question. The lighter riders; Rossi, Biaggi, Jacque, Melandri, Capirossi all have something in common. What is it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Blackduc said:
You will see a trend forming here though. I have a question. The lighter riders; Rossi, Biaggi, Jacque, Melandri, Capirossi all have something in common. What is it?

European riders, specifically Italian & Spaniard

:cheers

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Team No Limit Racing said:
European riders, specifically Italian & Spaniard

This is true. Each one of them also came over from 250cc. Not only that but, they were all 250cc world champions. Valentino Rossi actually gained almost 25 pounds through his conversion to 500cc then to MotoGP. So I think it isnt fair to say Rossi is a cheater at 130lbs. American people are just b*****. Kenny Roberts won the 500cc world champoinship in 2000 at 140 pounds I believe. Against lighter riders. So is weight a factor? Ehhh could be but, it comes down to the better rider. I actually admire Rossi I think he is great for the sport. The bottom line as far as Mladin goes is, he is a winner in AMA superbike with suzuki. He knows the bike and his team is almost like family because they have been together for a long time. I actually wouldnt mind seeing Mladin in MotoGP. It definitely would give the Aussie's something to cheer about at Phillip Island every year.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Blackduc said:
This is true. Each one of them also came over from 250cc. Not only that but, they were all 250cc world champions. Valentino Rossi actually gained almost 25 pounds through his conversion to 500cc then to MotoGP. So I think it isnt fair to say Rossi is a cheater at 130lbs. American people are just b*****. Kenny Roberts won the 500cc world champoinship in 2000 at 140 pounds I believe. Against lighter riders. So is weight a factor? Ehhh could be but, it comes down to the better rider. I actually admire Rossi I think he is great for the sport. The bottom line as far as Mladin goes is, he is a winner in AMA superbike with suzuki. He knows the bike and his team is almost like family because they have been together for a long time. I actually wouldnt mind seeing Mladin in MotoGP. It definitely would give the Aussie's something to cheer about at Phillip Island every year.
Good bits of info Blackduc.

Even though Matt is happy and successful here in the AMA. It is not impossible for him to find some recognized level of success if he were to go to MotoGP. With his riding skills and expertise overall. This would lend to the success of the team he might ride for, if he were.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Blackduc said:
Colin Edwards- 145lbs
Alex Barros- 154lbs
Sete Gibernau- 155lbs
Valentin Rossi- 130lbs

Matt Mladin- 165lbs

THere is a slight difference I suppose.
get him some crack he'll make weight in no time :bongs

·
Registered
29 Posts
It would be kinda cool to see Mladin in MotoGP. But if Nicky Hayden isn't beating Rossi, I don't see much hope for Mladin.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
I think Edwards has a better chance of beating Rossi than Hayden! Last race he led rossi through the whole race until he messed up and ran wide. I had high hoped for Hayden but he just don't have the consistency rossi has, he's nowhere near his level yet.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TTsixxer said:
I think Edwards has a better chance of beating Rossi than Hayden! Last race he led rossi through the whole race until he messed up and ran wide. I had high hoped for Hayden but he just don't have the consistency rossi has, he's nowhere near his level yet.

I am a big Colin Edwards fan and used to have a lot of confidence in him to win races but after last week, I am not so sure. He even said in the post-race interview that he was having no problem pulling mid 34's all day but, Rossi and Giberneau were hitting 33's and he couldnt hang. I think Colin is a great rider but, he needs to push through that barrier that Rossi, Giberneau, etc, have destroyed. As for Mr. Hayden, well.....if he could stay on the bike it would definitely increase his chances at winning. Sometimes I think he is trying too hard. When Colin first went into MotoGP with Aprilia he really didnt expect to blow the competition away. He knew he was on an experimental bike that was still under development. So he took it one race at a time and "learned". Nickey is like a 15 year old having sex for the first time. Get in get out really fast, and not taking his time. Part of that, I am sure has to do with the Repsol Honda team crawling up his ass constantly. So their is obviously a lot of pressure on him.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts