Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

How often you guys miss a gear shifting? I miss 2nd going up sometimes if I'm spinning her a little, but thats normals for a newer rider from what I understand. Tonight was different. I was accelerating from a stop on a fairly busy road, and I went to hit 6th, and it missed. I pulled the clutch in, sound like a pebble or something was rattling, banged it back in 6th (didnt have a choice, traffic and I was in the center lane), and the noise went away. I bought the bike used with 3200 miles on it, and its got 35xx now, and it really hasnt missed a beat. The only thing I notice is once in a while if I stop really quick and have the bike in 2nd with the clutch in, and hit N, and put my foot down, I have to roll the bike back or forward to get it to take first again. I think thats not out of the ordinary either tho, its just tonight scared me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Er...I've never missed sixth, so I don't know what to tell you bud. How much pressure are you applying on the upshift? Some transmissions take a pretty heft bump.

M.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll brb, I'm going to go ride it again and see if it everything is ok. I wasn't spinning maybe 4-5k so, and I think I may of been a little light on the shift.

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it seemed fine for me, then as I was pulling in the driveway, pops took it out for a ride, said the bike was fine. I'm guessing I pussyfooted the shift and it didn't like that.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Sometimes if I'm not really paying attention the shift into 6th gets a false neutral. If I shift "with authority" all is fine. I suspect this is possible on all bikes, so don't be a feather-foot and it will happen much less.

·
Registered
519 Posts
i have gotten false neutrals in every gear by shifting to soft when just cruising...just shift harder from now on

·
Registered
681 Posts
SqDancerLynn1 said:
Reposition the gear shift lever so you can get more leverage
exactly....lower the shifter 1 spline down, it'll make all the difference!

·
Registered
584 Posts
my bike is brand new and I have to roll it a bit sometimes to put into 1. I was told it was fine and that it's some of those "little" things you get to learn about your specific bike

·
Registered
394 Posts
This is a pretty common thing. If I'm dickin around not really paying attention to shifting it'll happen. Pay attention.. lift your foot up hard and you'll be fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts