Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for a 2007 GSX-R 1000 to misfire at 2000 rpms when at idle? After feeling like it has lacked power for quite some time, I noticed it also had a rough idle with a severe misfire when held at 2000 rpms. Any feedback would be appreciated!:bangdesk

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
First, your idle should not be at 2k. To answer your question: It's not normal for ANY motorcycle. It could be many things, but some of the quick/easy fixes: spark plug / plug wire / kinked fuel line (some get kinked from removing the tank).

It also sounds like an easy fix to the trained eye, but a serious headache for someone with the technical background you have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It idles around 1,200 rpms after the local shop adjusted the screw on the throttle body, but when I hold the throttle at 2,000 rpms it has a severe misfire while in neutral. Just curious if that's normal under any condition, or if its related to my power/acceleration issue. The first problem I ever had was the idle seeming like it was too low after about 2,500 miles on the clock. I remember when I would crack the throttle it would either wheelie or spin the tire, but now I give it WOT and just wait for the power to gradually come in!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
how many miles on the bike now? what have you done since this started around 2500 miles?
Has it progressively gotten worse?
Are all four cylinders actually running?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
If it's running rough and losing power under load, I would look at the spark first. A cheap mulit-meter is under 20$ at Radio Shack, or at least used to be..... If the voltages are within spec, When was the last valve adjustment? Air, fuel, fire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
* fuel injectors cleaned and flow tested
* replaced fuel strainer inside pump
* replaced spark plugs
* inspected air filter
* checked valve clearance
* checked timing chain
* flow and pressure tested fuel pump
* returned to dyno shop for more tuning after noticed it felt sluggish

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My biggest concern is feeling the lack of power compared to what I remember. It feels like its stuck in c mode, so I'm trying to figure out if my idle problem is related or isolated. My local shop said its making good, peak power, But I don't think the dyno is very realistic when all their doing is holding the throttle in fifth gear and waiting for the bike to redline.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
My biggest concern is feeling the lack of power compared to what I remember. It feels like its stuck in c mode, so I'm trying to figure out if my idle problem is related or isolated. My local shop said its making good, peak power, But I don't think the dyno is very realistic when all their doing is holding the throttle in fifth gear and waiting for the bike to redline.
If you are describing the problem to them the same way as to us---then who fucking cares about peak horsepower...... they can (or atleast a good operator can) check emmissions (5 gas or even a 4 gas or 3 or 2 gas anylizer) and get a very good indication of issues at idle and just off idle and cruising speed etc... That could/would rule out many things or give a direction to head.

When you say "check" to all those things in your above post....just within spec or actually set at a desired number?---not that that is your issue...
What about TPS adjustment?
What about throttle body synchronization?
What about the coil packs?
What about voltage output from the pick up coil?
There are numerous electronic signals going to/from the ecu you should be testing if some of the simpler and more probable doing cure the issue

finally---pull the power commander completely and see if the issue goes away.- they do go bad and/or have faults

What exhaust do you have?-full system or slip on?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think u should have the bike gone through some maintenance at a local shop : clean-up/check for spark plugs, air filter, throttle bodies, kinked fuel lines, and re-sync all 4 throttle bodies.
Those are what I did when facing some probs like yours. Mine now idles perfecly at 1200rpm, no power loss, strong accel just like brand new bike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts