Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little furstrated with my mirror adjustment. I am big (6ft1in with broad shoulders). If I set the mirrors for say 10% shoulder, then I cant see the cars behind me. With 50+% shoulder I can see the cars better (with a little head movement), but then my blind spots are non existent. I am a fairly new rider and this makes me feel more than a little uncomfortable.

Is there a magic way of setting the mirrors on my FZ6, or must I try to add an extra mirror (or TV camera ala MotoGP and one more screen)? One local guide for example state that you should set one mirror for blind spot and the other for rear view!

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Greetings
Johann

·
Registered
72 Posts
This sounds formiliar. I get the impression that because it's a fairly new bike people drive in my blind spot longer to look at the bike. I've put an extra anti-blind spot (globe shaped) mirror on the mirror to cover the blind spot, that works ok for me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have the same problem..im 6ft2 broad shouldered as well..i find it nearly impossible to get the mirrors to my liking..every time i try to see directly behind me i see my shoulders..is this just a big guys problem?..does anyone else have problems seeing directly behind them?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Unless you're extremely thin/small I don't think you're gonna see around your shoulders/arms with the stock mirrors. I'm 5'10" and set mine so my elbow/upper arm covers about 35%-50% of my view. A quick pull of the elbow in and I have a full view.

·
Registered
88 Posts
MikeC said:
Unless you're extremely thin/small I don't think you're gonna see around your shoulders/arms with the stock mirrors. I'm 5'10" and set mine so my elbow/upper arm covers about 35%-50% of my view. A quick pull of the elbow in and I have a full view.
Same here...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I try to get as much of the other lane in my view as I can, with my arms blocking about a third of the mirror. Then when I want to check behind me, I just pull my arm in to see how close the car is, or if one just came up behind me. I usually notice something, then just pull my arm in to double check.

·
Registered
52 Posts
In the book 'Proficient Motorcycling' by David Hough, he says you should adjust your mirrors to see the lanes next to you and your blind spots. They are more important than seeing directly behind you. That's the way mine are adjusted, when I want to see behind me I just move my head a little.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have to agree with Fuzzy6, there isn't anything behind you that important, adjust them until you see the edge of your sleeves and if you think there is a black and white on your tail it's probabley too late to slow to the speed of traffic. A little movement of the head and arm and you can see what ever it is. Changing lanes means turning your head anyway before making the move so seeing it is clear in the mirror before that is nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I agree, the blind spots are more important than the cars directly behind.

In the showroom the mirrors looked so great (watching the showroom wall :) ) - in practice it did not work out so great for me. Otherwise I love this bike.

Johann

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Are the yamaha mirror bolts reverse threaded?

I was looking at some aftermarket mirrors and many mention
"Yamaha Reverse Right" as an option.

Some places also sell a Yamaha Reverse Thread Adapter.

Anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hippie said:

I was looking at some aftermarket mirrors and many mention
"Yamaha Reverse Right" as an option.

Some places also sell a Yamaha Reverse Thread Adapter.

Anyone?
I think that's a cruiser thing. Yamaha uses reverse threads on mirrors where the end of the arm screws into a perch on the bars. The reverse threads cause the mirrors to tighten, instead of loosen, with the wind blast.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Hippie said:

Anyone?
Just checked the service manual. The mirrors are held on with 2 connectors. I highly doubt you will need thread adapters, just mirrors with the same base and bolt spacing.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Shadow is right, the base of our mirror has two studs that slid through a bracket and get tightend by two nuts. Those adapters are useless on our rides.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
anyone know the bolt size and their spacing?

Figured I would ask before I go out and dismantle mine...
Thanks

·
Super Nibber
501 Posts
On the track seeing behind you may not be important. But on the street it is very important to me to potentially see that cager that dosent see you stopped barrelling toward you. At least then you have a chance of seeing them and reacting.

As stated above I have also utilized the ~1.5 inch concave mirrors on the existing mirrors to assist in the blindspot.

There will always be some area you cant see, thats what head checks are for.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I strongly disagree.

I think that looking behind you is just as important! Proof....read my "Rider down...again" thread to read my personal experiance about this.....then debate. A better mirror or a MOD for it is defenetly one of the first things ill do when i fix my girl up.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I'm 6 foot 4 and find these the best mirrors i've ever had on a bike other than my Goldwing one's that where car mirrors (had a DJP sidecar and a massive Concorde fairing hence the car mirrors)

I find i can see really well behind me and the mirrors stay clear well into speeds above the state limit.

But having said that i'm a skinny bastard.

Or are we are talking about the naked's mirrors?

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you think the fz6 mirrors are bad, try rideing a real sportbike. I had a cbr f4i before this bike, felt like a chicken flapping his wings all the time just too see anything on the side of me or behind. The only thing about mirror modifications, they useually don't look very good.

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Ralph said:
If you think the fz6 mirrors are bad, try rideing a real sportbike. I had a cbr f4i before this bike, felt like a chicken flapping his wings all the time just too see anything on the side of me or behind. The only thing about mirror modifications, they useually don't look very good.
I don't know about a "real sportbike", I believe our FZ6's are real sportbikes, but I do agree that the mirrors on our FZ6's have better viewing than most other sportbikes.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Ralph said:
try rideing a real sportbike. I had a cbr f4i before this bike, .
CBR F4i = "Real Sport Bike"
:eek:nfloor :lao

Should "SilverBuzz" him just for making this comment. :lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts