Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot tell you all how much Freaking Fun we had at Beloit yesterday. I must admit that when I saw the track "layout" I was thoroughly disappointed, but then we got there.....HOLY CRAP was it fun!!!! Scary as hell at first because the track was lined with straw bales (which meant there was straw everywhere), some tires and these plastic medians. There were manhole covers and then all the cross walk paint on the "carousel". Then on the back straight there was a "kink" that you could pin the bike through but came inches from hitting the barriers on either side.
Since it was so hot, the tires stuck like crazy...it was unbelievable!!! My front brakes were toast so I started riding with the rear....holy crap was that entertaining!!!! I had the bike hopping at the end of every straight...if only I were brave enough to lean it over and try "backing it in". But all the turns were to the right so it was pretty much impossible....well for me anyway. But I did learn how to ride pretty fast, without brakes and feel the whole bike dancing underneath me...it rocked!!! :banana Unfortunately we have no pics of the race. I'll post up the pit pics though when I have a chance. It was pretty cool, we had the Yamaha Canopy with 5 yami's....we were looking all factory 'n stuff!!! :lao
For the feature we did a Leman's (sp?) start. It was cool! The bikes were gridded single file and the riders ran to their bikes, started them and took off...It was AWESOME!!!! Needless to say I am so happy the YZ kicks on the first try! There was some grumbling in the ranks cuz Mike has electric start!!! :eek:nfloor He actually wheelied off the start! It was so cool!
Laptimes: Fast times were low :25'S and I was running high :27's...not bad for no brakes!!! :banana I finished approx. 7th out of 18 bikes. Fun stuff....there is talk that this may be an annual event so hopefully some of you can get out for it next year-I promise you won't be disappointed. We didn't have a lot of spectators, but the ones we had were awesome!!! It was the first race where I actually saw people cheering! I would come around the last hairpin and there were people leaning over the fence yelling "Go! Go!" with huge smiles...it was AWESOME!!!! FUN FUN FUN!!!!
Sorry for the long post, but it was a darn good time!

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
That sounds pretty sweet. I caught the x-games supermoto event yesterday and it made me want to try that stuff so bad!

Did anyone else see the entry jump/ramp into the stadium that j. mcgrath was triple'ing. OMG, that was so bleedin insane.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah mcgrath was throwin down that it was so cool and i hated the fact they showed doug henry 5 miles in front of everyone and i wanted to see mcgrath jump that again grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... oh and those dam 3 commercials the entire day "franchesco" , "crunchyweezy.. i love you" "I GOT DIBS " other then that really cool

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
kick ass sea bass....now start bringing spares with you to the track - with front brakes you might podiumed....:cheers

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I know...but the YZ's brakes have been "elusive" for two years now, can't quite figure out the issues. Rebuilt the master cylinder, then we put new pads on, then we put the braided line on and finally tried the wave rotors. Now it's heating up so much the fluid boils through the banjo bolt on the caliper. On Saturday we cleaned out the caliper thinking maybe the piston is sticking which would cause drag therefore heat everything up. It helped...a little. So now we are going to replace the caliper and go from there. When I start out, the brakes are kind of there but by the 4th lap or so there is very little left and then by the 12th lap they are gone.....it's frustrating....
Good thing is that I can ride without brakes!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Wow, I really enjoyed your post! I'm glad you can ride without brakes... I sure as heck couldn't do it, but we both know you've got a lot more experience than me so you are much tougher... way to go girl!

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Jaimie!!!!
I personally think I'm insane. Talked to some experts....what it boils down to is that I am over-riding the brakes...I am asking more of them than what they were designed to do....looking to go to the b***** wheels next year...more traction, more corner speed, less braking!!!
Anyhow, here are the two pics we got in the pits...pretty cool I think, but like I said, I'm insane!!! :eek:nfloor

First is of the bikes and the second is the racers (barring the kid in the center! :) )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Oh cool pics. You know, I'm working on what you have in your custom signature, so that next year I can hit the track with you. You know, the part where you say "Work on being smooth. Once you are smooth, fast just happens." I'm prolly the slowest rider in WI but one day... !!! Can't wait!!! You'll have to teach me all you know next year, if I am so lucky and you are so kind :)

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Schiernbeck said:
I can't wait until next year when the small wheel bikes are allowed to go.
I didn't see you, did you go and watch??? It was SUCH a riot!!! Yeah the small wheels would have rocked around that course....

Jaimie~
All in time. Rome wasn't built in a day....and I am not very fast either, I just try really hard. You know the old saying...if at first you don't succeed....well I keep tryin'! :)

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
:dblthumb you guys do look like Team Yamaha :beer

·
Registered
333 Posts
blndebmbr said:
I didn't see you, did you go and watch??? It was SUCH a riot!!! Yeah the small wheels would have rocked around that course....

Jaimie~
All in time. Rome wasn't built in a day....and I am not very fast either, I just try really hard. You know the old saying...if at first you don't succeed....well I keep tryin'! :)
No I didn't go. I was going to go but ended up having a bunch of stuff to do around the house and couldn't make it. Next year hopefully I will be racing in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts