Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering how many of you are currently in the military and what branches your in ive enlisted to the marines and leave at the end of august
and for the ones that are in hows riding on base and getting your bike from post to post and so on

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
Career Navy 17 years.

I can't ride on base yet since I have to take a basic riders course before I can get my base sticker. Once I get it I will be riding to work every day.

Parking is a breeze with the bike since there's a covered area for bikes.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Air Force checking in, been in for 7 years. Its easy to get your bike on and off base/post. You just have to make sure you have taken the MSF course. Some places require you to register the bike on base/post. Good luck!

·
...What speed limit sign?
244 Posts
I spent 6 1/2 years in the Army, got out about two years ago. I don't miss the BS but I do miss alot of the people.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm retired Navy and work on a Navy base as a civilian. You need to take MSF before you get a DoD decal for your bike. Also, you are required to dress according to DoD instructions, as well as Navy instructions, as well as Local Command instructions. In other words, the Navy instruction states that you must wear "hard sole shoes", but the local instruction (of one of the commands on the base) states, "over the ankle boots". I'm pretty sure that all the services are pretty much the same. Local Commands can make the regs more stringent, but they cannot lessen them. Typically, you must wear a long sleeve brightly colored jacket or shirt during the day, and something similar at night but with reflective material. Must wear helmet, gloves, and long pants, as well, with either safety glasses or full-face shield. I think some helmets that are not full-face are prohibited. This is just coming from my memory, of course you would be responsible to read the instruction(s).

EDIT: Read your post again. When you transfer from post-to-post, the Marines will move you and the bike, too, depending on how much weight you are transferring with. There shouldn't be a problem. As a Marine, you will be required to abide by the Navy instruction and, as I said earlier, local command instructions.

That's great you are joining the Marines. You'll make it through Boot Camp if you have the right attitude. Just remember that it will be over before you know it, and military life is far different in the "real world" than it is in Boot Camp. They will mess with your mind to see if you can handle it, so if you are ready for that and you're in shape, you'll make it! Good luck MARINE!

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Boldblood has it pretty much spot on. There will be some minor deviations from base to base but nothing drastic. They'll brief you once you get there.

3 1/2 years in the Air Force.

Go get 'em!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Boldblood said:
I'm retired Navy and work on a Navy base as a civilian. You need to take MSF before you get a DoD decal for your bike. Also, you are required to dress according to DoD instructions, as well as Navy instructions, as well as Local Command instructions. In other words, the Navy instruction states that you must wear "hard sole shoes", but the local instruction (of one of the commands on the base) states, "over the ankle boots". I'm pretty sure that all the services are pretty much the same. Local Commands can make the regs more stringent, but they cannot lessen them. Typically, you must wear a long sleeve brightly colored jacket or shirt during the day, and something similar at night but with reflective material. Must wear helmet, gloves, and long pants, as well, with either safety glasses or full-face shield. I think some helmets that are not full-face are prohibited. This is just coming from my memory, of course you would be responsible to read the instruction(s).

EDIT: Read your post again. When you transfer from post-to-post, the Marines will move you and the bike, too, depending on how much weight you are transferring with. There shouldn't be a problem. As a Marine, you will be required to abide by the Navy instruction and, as I said earlier, local command instructions.

That's great you are joining the Marines. You'll make it through Boot Camp if you have the right attitude. Just remember that it will be over before you know it, and military life is far different in the "real world" than it is in Boot Camp. They will mess with your mind to see if you can handle it, so if you are ready for that and you're in shape, you'll make it! Good luck MARINE!
He is absolutly correct except you will have to have a full face helmet dude! Army 13 years

·
Banned
354 Posts
Im active duty in the Marine Corps for 3 1/2 years right now. The military will move your bike for you, but only for Permanent Change of Station (PCS) moves. All schools you go to before your first duty station will not move your shit. On base you have to have vehicle registration Insurance MSF course OR the base saftey course(same thing basicly but no certificate so no insurance deduction or motorcycle endorsment on license in some states) And with that you get your base decal. Marine Corps orders on bikes are hard sole shoes, helmet, long sleeves and pants, gloves, and a reflective vest(over reflective leathers even) and this is for on and off base. But some bases dont enforce as hard as others. Thats my .02's Take it easy and good luck with boot, Semper Fi

·
Registered
775 Posts
thanks for your service everyone! civillian here but sometimes regret that I didn't spend some time in the military.

bodydropcbr6, just bustin your balls a bit, but you should definitely practice using periods (.) and comas (,) now and then. I would imagine that even in the Marines this could be of importance! Either way, thanks for your service in advance and good luck in boot camp.

·
Registered
457 Posts
17 years.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
USAF, here is the link to the DoD safety program, everyone in the military must comply, but every service component and base/post have the right to implement more strict rules.

https://safety.army.mil/pages/articles/dodi6055-4.html

Some bases I have been to absolutely abhor motorcyclists, while others seem to be very lax. Just depends on where you go.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I'll speak up for my son since I have no idea where he is right now.

He go's by Gold to Glove on here and he is Army for 2 years now,13 months in Iraq and came back in March.The last time I talked to him(2 weeks since) he was in Huston getting ready to go back to Tegrete(sp).

·
Registered
13 Posts
3 years Air Force.

Not as hardcore as Marines but we get it done.

Congratulations, and good luck.

Hope you're not afraid of camel spiders.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
redcbrla said:
thanks for your service everyone! civillian here but sometimes regret that I didn't spend some time in the military.

bodydropcbr6, just bustin your balls a bit, but you should definitely practice using periods (.) and comas (,) now and then. I would imagine that even in the Marines this could be of importance! Either way, thanks for your service in advance and good luck in boot camp.
I can change that redbrla:rolleyes

1 - 20 of 87 Posts