Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at the MotoGP in Indy. I left my helmet with gloves inside the helmet in what I thought was a dry place. However, it was not. Therefore, I got some mildew on both. Luckily the smell in the helmet is not as bad as the gloves. I’ve been dealing with the smell for a little and can’t take it any more. I was looking for cleaning recommendations. I think for the glove I’ll go soap and water, then a leather treatment. I could use help on what treatment to use. For the helmet, I don’t have any idea. It’s a Suomy helmet if the type of padding makes a difference.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Should have removeable liner inside your helmet

Soap is not good for leather guy you gotsa do what you gotsa do.

You may try just turning your gloves inside out and putting them in the sunlieght, that may do the trick.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should have removeable liner inside your helmet

Soap is not good for leather guy you gotsa do what you gotsa do.

You may try just turning your gloves inside out and putting them in the sunlieght, that may do the trick.
Thanks for the input brother...I'm real close to just dealing with it. But then I've got time where it smells like ass.

Thanks again,
Jason

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
For the gloves, take a look at what they have to offer at Leather Therapy. Regarding the helmet, remove the lining and wash it in a bucket of warm water with a gentle detergent like Woolite. Leave the lining and helmet (separately) where there is ample air circulation to allow them to dry completely, but whatever you do, do not try to help it along with a little heat.

:cheers

·
Jack of all trades
54 Posts
There was a thread somewhere about cleaning helmets. Something like get yerself a bucket big enough to fit the lid, use the water and Woolite and do a lot of dunking. Rinse thoroughly and put in front of a fan to air dry. I've washed my gloves and set them out to air dry, occasionally slathering them in leather conditioner (the kind used on equestrian saddles). Never had an issue with cracking.

·
Lingerie Bandit
5,623 Posts
what about glade or febreeze odor eliminator?

I use that and a damp cloth for cleaning my mesh/textile jacket, boot interior's, and the lining of my helmet.

·
The Coconut Man
1,553 Posts
Yeah, well, I left my leathers hanging on a hanger in the shed with my bike for about three months this winter without checking on them. Went in last week and noticed the damn things had major mold on the soft cotton parts (inside thighs, arms, back of knees). Immediately got them out of there and hit them with some potassium metabisulphite in a water solution (kills bugs, bacteria, mold in wineries). However, they still smell and the mold isn't completely gone yet. I've hit them about 3 times and air dried in the open air now that the rain has stopped.

My question is this: Can I put them in a huge industrial size sink with cold water and detergent without harming the leather and stitching? I'll rub in Saddle soap when I'm done (it's what I have been doing for cleaning). Or is there a better way to get them clean? Top of the line Alpinstar leathers by the way.

Another question I have is: Been wearing these for a long time- lots of hot track time, road "touring"- and lot so body sweat. I have been just air drying them when I'm done riding, but is there some other protocol I should be doing?

Thanks much! Been a long time since I've been on here.
Grey Wolf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts