Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First things first I am not trashing mike or his product, but i thougth that this might get attention to everyone who has one, it might post a safety issue. Just to say I was very satisfied with his kit and would buy another one. As a pulled into work today I heard a clunk and felt something catch on the tire, I pulled over and look down at my tires to make sure I didnt run anything over after making sure they werent losing air, I traveled across the lot to my parking space to give it all a once over. Thats when I noticed that the turn signal had broken off and was hanging over the tire! It broke right where it connected to the bracket, maybe if I had gave closer inspections to everything I might have noticed some stress cracks or other signs that the tab was going to break off. Again this is not a flame against Mike's product but I would check you own to make sure that the same isnt going on w/ your own kits. Sorry if its a long post, and Mike I'm sure you'll chime in shortly, but I'll pm you with info for my replacement since I lost your paypal email. I'll try to take pictures when I get home from work tonite and post them in this post.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Wow, surprising. Were you using a large license plate frame or anything to cause it to be heavier than just the plate? How long would you say its been on there before it broke?

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Sorry to hear about that! Email me a pic so I can see it. That is the first one to break like that out of a couple hundred so I'll be interested to see it. Great zippy had a problem caused by his heavy metal led license plate frame and a couple of the very first generation kits with the thin metal license plate holder have failed but I've had no problems besides those. If there is an imminent failure problem then I'll have to quit making them. I don't see any real safety issues but as the instructions recomend, everyone should inspect theirs on a regular basis for stress cracks or loose bolts.

Again, I appologise.

Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yep, I inspect mine before every ride while I'm looking everything else over. No problems with it so far. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah no problems before this , it looks like the tab for the right turn signal snapped off where it bends downward, pretty clean break too strait across that fold. I couldnt get my hands on a dig cam so I'm just going to put back the old one till I can get something together for a new one, only thing on there is my TX plate (standard 4x7, and nothing else). Don't worry I'll send you a PM with pics just as soon as I can get my hands on a capture device. Oh and I've had it on for almost a year now, I've always notice the bounce of the signal assemblies everytime the road surfaced changed, especially when I let a friend ride my bike and I followed in his car, those things really bounce! I guess just after so much vibration over time it's just inevitable.

·
FastAss
321 Posts
I don't have a kit (yet) but I did come home from a ride one day to notice that my left blinker was hanging by the wires. The nut backed off and had to be put back on with locktite of course. I did the other side with locktite too just in case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts