Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I'm pretty sure that tomorrow evening I'm going to buy a '92 Suzuki GSF400, commonly known as the 400 Bandit. It's a sporty little 4-cyl, 16-valve that revs to 14k. I have looked the bike over real well and if it rides/runs as good as it looks, the only question left is the price. I've talked to the owner a couple of times but we haven't been able to hook up to work out the details.

One of my riding buddies has one of these and another has a CB400F. The sound of these thing when they're singing is real neat.

I didn't take any pictures yet but this is what they look like:

Attachments

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I like the Bandit 400 because I like UJMs, it has the looks of a big bike, it aint a porker like the b***** Bandits and was technically superior to them...

[400cc rant]
But I don't get the appeal of the 400cc and why people go nuts about them. New SS600s are lighter, rev higher and are better at everything save for going slower.
[/400cc rant]

That being said, I'd grab one if the price is right, which never seems to be because of the 400cc craze.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 400 should be a lot of fun around town while keeping speeds reasonable.

The bike has 7675 miles on it, 1 chip in the tank and 2 or 3 very light scratches, very little pitting or oxidation in the chrome. Rear sprocket looks worn but the chain looks new (replaced?). Haven't seen the inside of the tank. The owner says that the carbs were just gone through this spring and the regulator was replaced. Tires don't look weathered but probably only have 500 miles or so before the wear bars

The guy is asking $1500. I'm hoping to get down near $1200.

This all hinges on how well it runs and rides...

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$1200. Runs like a top!! Fork seals are bad and there's a small crack in the fender. New battery, rear brake caliper was rebuilt. The carb work is great, there isn't the flat spot @ 4k like my friend's bike. (The kid is a flat-tracker and his tuner did the carbs.)

I'll get pictures when I get it home. S/B mid to late this week.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
330 Posts
Nice find!! Love those bikes.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Kickass find! I had one and it was awesome, it had an Ohlins rear, slip on and some other goodies. Really fun to ride and easy little power wheelies.
My only problem is at 6'2 my knees didn't fit in...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
5,455 Posts
wow! great deal!

i almost bought one last winter. this guy had two of them that were in near showroom condition. he wasn't there and had his son who was around 18 years old show the bike to me. kid offered to take it around the block so i could hear it run and he dumped it on some gravel/salt/ice. i felt really bad for the kid... it was Christmas eve and i'm sure his dad tore him a new one when he got home.

he had asked me if i wanted to ride it and i declined because of the condition of the roads. not sure why he decided to do it anyways.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now I want a Honda Hawk GT...

KeS
About 4 years ago, I saw one in someone's front yard while I was just out riding. I didn't stop but it looked pristine from around 20 yards. Talked myself out of going back to look it over. It was gone the next week.

Not this time!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
my buddy has a '93 same color. solid bike. he picked his up for around $1000 I believe. never been down but had bad fork seals and he has recently run into a string of electrical problems with the tail light and rear blinkers.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, got it home tonight and here are the pix:

Attachments

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My buddy with the CB400F gave me a lift to go get my bike from the seller's house. When he saw this thing he said: " Damn, that's a beautiful bike. It's soooo clean!" Then he said: "We've got to go back to Deals with the 400's".

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I like it. I have seen a couple on youtube, and they scream.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have an old front tire from my F4i that should fit and isn't weather-checked like the one that's on there. Hopefully, I can replace it tomorrow afternoon. The leaking fork seals are more of an annoyance at this point and can wait for a couple of weeks.

Next Monday I'm hoping to get to the DMV to get it registered. I'm glad I live in a rural area and can ride it some without plates, without getting hassled.

The exhaust note is sooooo sweet, even with the stock pipe. I may have to buy a header from a '93 so I can put a slipon on it. Up through '92, the exhaust is all one piece.

edit: updated my profile :dblthumb

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You planning on keeping it for a while?
Yeah, that's the plan. I'm thinking of a couple of mods this winter: replacing the stock brake lines with braided lines, maybe progressive springs in the forks, maybe a small flyscreen and different tires. Other than that I just plan on riding it.

Reactions: Shamrock627
1 - 20 of 21 Posts