Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Thought I'd start a thread to find out where Michigan's best motorcycling roads are.

So post what roads you feel are the best rides you've ridden or heard of.

Here are some of the best I've ridden:

Lakeshore Drive from pentwater to Ludington. Not real long, and a residential area near Bass lake to deal with, but lots of twisties and pretty views.

M-22 going north out of Manistee up toward Empire. Runs near Lake Michigan and around some nice inland lakes. Very scenic and makes for a good days ride.

I was on a road in the UP that ran from Gwinn to Marquette that was awesome. lots of hills and twisties, kinda like riding a roller coaster. It was years ago, and I don't remember the name of the road unfortuneately.

Let's hear from you guys (and girls?).

Bill

·
Registered
81 Posts
M119 from Harbor Springs to Cross Village. Very tight and narrow with many twisties and elavation changes. Right on Lake Michigan with some terrific views. Look out for bears, too.

M43 from Richland to Hastings. Many medium and highspeed sweepers as you are travelling among many lakes. Also, you pass the Gilmore Car Museum which is a cool place to check out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
North Territorial road from US-23 (north of Ann Arbor) west to M-52. Lots of twisties.

M-36 from Pinckney west to Mason, just an all around fun road to ride. Some nice turns and some long straits in corn country.

F-97 from Mio east to Lake Huron, awesome road with many large sweepers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Add 8 miles along Lakeshore Rd. from Manistee to M-22 in Onekama through tree shrouded sand dunes. Then take Bill's suggestion up through Empire to Northport. Avoid T.C. Way too many SUV's with cell phones.

US-41 from Marquette to Copper Harbor and back to Hancock on M-26 and (I think County) 201. They speak a different language up there, so I'm not sure it's still part of Michigan. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
kangaroooski said:
North Territorial road from US-23 (north of Ann Arbor) west to M-52. Lots of twisties.

M-36 from Pinckney west to Mason, just an all around fun road to ride. Some nice turns and some long straits in corn country.

F-97 from Mio east to Lake Huron, awesome road with many large sweepers.
Close to North Territorial is Seven Mile Road east of Whitmore Lake. Smooth with twisties.

Another good one is Huron River Drive from Ann Arbor (starts at about the US 23 viaduct) all the way to Dexter.

·
Registered
81 Posts
M-32 from US131 to Central Lake - Michigan's Deal's Gap. Without question #1, although the M119 run from Harbor Springs to Cross Village is a close second.

·
Old enough to be your dad
99 Posts
Sounds like a couple I have to go check out! The road out to Copper Harbor F'n ROCKS! Up the East side and Back down the West side roads is so cool! Reminded me of Pacific coast Hwy out in CA. While yer up that far north, the road out to White Fish Point is awesome as well.

My Favorite local is River Road that follows the Muskegon River from Newaygo out to Twin Lakes. Lots of others in that area that can let you see your tail light.

·
Registered
13 Posts
cinco do you ever take the scenic road run from the block house to duck lake? not to bad during the day would be scary at night with too many deer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My local favorite spot is the loop around the GM proving grounds. Some long sweeping turns that you can pick up speed on plus some sharper technical ones. And if you keep an eye out you may even see a few new cars being tested. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
And how the hell do you get in there to ride?

·
Curve Connaisseur
364 Posts
Odog said:
And how the hell do you get in there to ride?
Not in, the roads around them.....they are ok.......be careful though we lost a newbie on one of those corners a couple weeks ago....

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I think M-119 is a great touring road, but way to narrow and crowned for railing. Just my .02 from the cheap seats.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yankee Springs Experience!

You need to visit this area sometime this summer or even fall.... About 3/4 of the Yankee Springs area has superb riding! These roads have everything from high speed sweepers to technical stuff. They go all over this state protected land. Plenty of elevation changes, windy roads and little stop points for scenery (Mount Baldy Is a Cool Outlook) There are some really cool little lakes (no houses around them) and the massive Gun lake to drive around (stop by the public beach for a little eye candy). There are some really cool food places and bars around Gun Lake to stop at (Sams Joint & Daisy Mae's). There are some high speed straights that extend out of the area into farm land as well. This is located around the Hastings, Middleville area a few minutes east of US131 between K-Zoo and Grand Rapids.

·
Old enough to be your dad
99 Posts
Slappy77 said:
cinco do you ever take the scenic road run from the block house to duck lake? not to bad during the day would be scary at night with too many deer.
I can not recall what that is. I have been all over that area though.

I am staying off the northern roads this 4th of july weekend, every POS camper and trailer will be out with the drunken bastards headed "up north".

·
Registered
81 Posts
No kidding, up north to GR people is Newaygo. When I tell where I'm from it might as well be the moon.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Jen said:
M-32 from US131 to Central Lake - Michigan's Deal's Gap. Without question #1,
How is it the other way all the way to the East side of the state? Is it worth starting in Alpena and making your way over?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hmmm, I don't know. I would think it would be a fun ride but I only know the section from Gaylord across 131 and west to Central Lake or East Jordan. Try it and let me know!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Jen said:
Hmmm, I don't know. I would think it would be a fun ride but I only know the section from Gaylord across 131 and west to Central Lake or East Jordan. Try it and let me know!
I have to get new tires, time off work and a few odds and ends, but I'd like to make this run late this year.
As of right now the plan is this-

I75 to Clarkston
M15 to Bay City
M13/US23 to Alpena
Then run 32 across the state
Then back home.

Unfortunately its way to early to be set in stone. Wish me luck!!

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
Bad Habit said:
I have to get new tires, time off work and a few odds and ends, but I'd like to make this run late this year.
As of right now the plan is this-

I75 to Clarkston
M15 to Bay City
M13/US23 to Alpena
Then run 32 across the state
Then back home.

Unfortunately its way to early to be set in stone. Wish me luck!!
About 4 years ago I did a ride that was essentially the coastline of Michigan. I used 2 lane US and M highways. It was a neat ride but the roads weren't very curvey. They best stretch was in the northwest corner of the state, M22.

I know that 75 and M15 stink. Those aren't fun at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts