Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Good, maybe the engineers at AMG can help MV get their engine mapping sorted!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
finally. I've been waiting for MB to get their hands on MV Agusta or another motorcycle manufacturer. They should just buy it outright and get it over with.

Aston Martin should be next on their list of acquisitions. That and now that Ferrari is being spun off from Fiat and will be doing an "IPO" which leaves them open to ownership. Last thing the auto industry and the consumers need is Volkswagen to buy it.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I don't see VW buying Ferrari. I don't see Ferrari handling being owned by the same company that owns and runs Lambo.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I don't see VW buying Ferrari. I don't see Ferrari handling being owned by the same company that owns and runs Lambo.
yes, I don't either BUT that is not how corporate takeovers work. If in theory Volkswagen guys majority allocation of shares in Ferrari they can do a hostile takeover. This is a gross simplification but that is how it works in a very watered down way.

It's one of the risks of being publicly traded. Acting CEO of Fiat also admitted this, although he openly said he will try and do all that he can to avoid such occurance, but one thing I know is that money talks and Ferdinand Peich of Volkswagen specializes in Mergers and Acquisitions (ex. Lambo and Ducati)

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Why not? My gut feeling is that Ferrari drivers and Lambo drivers are largely disjoint.
not about the drivers.

Italians are a fickle bunch, and I can actually see a large portion of Ferrari quitting rather than parts sharing with Lamborghini.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I could see VW buying ferrari, just to control a larger market share of the "go fast" cars.

It wouldn't go well with the people at ferrari, but i doubt that VW would care.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
the people at ferrari would care.

and a large amount of the buyer base would care. Ferrari's regularly get outrun by cheaper cars. it's an image thing.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
where would Ferrari's buyer base run to?

i don't really get "image" stuff, but as far as i can tell ferrarri's image is based on "we build F1 cars, and for a whole bunch of money you can own a really exspensive car with our logo on it".

So long as whoever buys Ferrari also buys the use of the name Ferrari for a F1 team and keeps it racing, i don't see why the image would break down.

Any way the only other companies i could see Ferrari's buyer base switching to is Mclaren with its F1 legacy, Porsche with its racing legacy, or audi with its LeMans victories.

of those all but Mclaren are already owned by vw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts