Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

I am new to the boards here and was just wondering if you'd all be so kind as to share your thoughts on something.

I met someone online and we've chatting and speaking on the phone at length. We seem to really have hit it off and I'm considering flying down to meet him. It feels absolutely right and I have no apprehensions about doing so.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the same experience, if you have met someone online and what were your experiences like?

All reponses will be appreciated.

Daffy

·
Registered
813 Posts
I think it would be a better idea if he came up to see you and if you spend time together in public areas.. not to scare you but just want you to play it safe.

But if you go down to see him - get a hotel room for yourself, rent a car and again, meet in public areas.

Have you googled his name? :)

I've met a lot of girls on line (before the internet... BBS days) and I had good experiences with it.. It's better than going to a bar.. But there are a lot of crazy people now days..

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I would not fly to see anyone that I met online, I am sorry. It's too dangerous out there. He needs to come into your town and meet you. Especially if it's somewhere you don't know or have never been before.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My ex met what turned out to be a psyco on the internet & got married. Then got divorced again, I feel sorry for her. But it saved me alot of alimoney

·
Registered
430 Posts
err, how is you going to see him, any different from going on a vacation, and meeting someone? I would think it would be more dangerous to invite him to your hometown, because then, he knows where you live, so you fly down to meet him, like was mentioned before, get your own hotel room, rent your own car, and meet him somewhere public, and if you get a bad vibe, bail. People talk about meeting crazy people online, as though there are not nutcases at the singles bar, or the club, or beach, or any of the thousands of other places people meet others. The internet just gives you a wider area to search, and (hopefully) lets you get to know someone a bit before you meet them.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I met my wife through a classified ad in a singles magazine...just don't meet anywhere that is not a public place and have a friend watching you from a distance. If things get tweeky, excuse yourself to the restroom and slip out the door with your friend, or have your friend call you on your cell phone so you can use the "emergency at home" excuse...Never, under any circumstances, meet anywhere but very public and always bring back-up

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've met a few psycho's in the past from online. You have to be careful about what your doing. Of course I also met my now of almost 6 years online as well.

I think the important thing is to make sure you go into it with a grain of salt. You don't know them 'for real' online. If you feel like your 'in-love' with someone who you've never even met, ask yourself what the heck your doing.

When I met my now wife, we had talked online for a few years, never anything romantic, just chit-chat. She had a bike ( her whole family rode at the time ) and we decided one day to go out for a ride. A few months later we met again just to hang out, and we started dating a week after that.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Met The Him online, through a car forum. We met to go to a car club meet (each took our own Rx7, just did the caravan thing). After the meet, we kept talking, met for coffee, then it sort of progressed. Before I knew it, he was my bf.... been almost 2 years now. He's a psycho, but I love him nonetheless. :D Kidding, of course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Me and my man met online, a little over 2 years ago...on this website. :)

There was a post started by a woman asking the sportbikes men to post their pics (since at that time, it was always the other way around).

He was living in Houston and I was up at school in Lubbock (though my family lives in Houston so I'd be back for the summer). He drove up to Lubbock to meet me and we've been dating ever since.

Probably not the wisest of decisions, having a complete stranger drive 500 miles to meet you, but I was living with two guys (brother + other roommate) and they had lots of guns around...

Two years later, we have a daughter together and are practically married (actual date for wedding is TBA).

It worked out for us...it could work out for you.

Good luck!

~Linda

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
i would suggest you stay on "home turf" when meeting ANYONE!! If he is a gentleman he will understand....also have him stay in a hotel in the area of your home while there.....this way your friends can help look out for you, go on dates with your friends present this way nothing can go south on you. Someone else said it is dangerous (i think it was chiny) she is right about that....he may be a nice guy on the phone or on the net but when he gets you on HIS turf he may turn into an animal....i STRONGLY suggest that you invite HIM there to see YOU.....and please do the hotel thing....a closed door is a closed door.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
sonix said:
I would think it would be more dangerous to invite him to your hometown, because then, he knows where you live,
How is he going to know where she lives? He can come to her hometown (I'm assuming it's a good size town), then HE can buy his plane ticket, HE can get his own hotel room, and HE can rent his own car. THEN they can meet in a public place. If they meet in a restaurant, she can even have her friends eat at another table or something just in case. If I was her I wouldn't put THAT much money into someone I've never met. No thanks.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Since the safety thing has been beat to death (sorry for the play on words)

I kinda have the feeling that some people can be real different when they have an agenda online. But for the most part, there really isnt anything to lose so most of us are just like we are in person. There is nothing to hide from when your writing words on a monitor.

You talk to the guy on the phone all the time so I get the idea that isnt a problem. Meet up with the guy, in a public place, hang out and go to know this guy.

Would you go to someone's house the first time you meet them in your home town? I assume your doing this because you dont like bar humping. So use the same common sense in this area as well.

Someone told me one time "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" I find those words to be pretty intelligent.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I sort of my my girlfriend over the internet.

We went to college together and went on a date (just one) she didn't want to start a relationship because she was moving to another city (100 miles north) I htink it was a cop out...(she did move though)

three years later I was just looking through the personals on Yahoo for fun (fine don't believe me) and I saw her picture.

I was suprised. I had to sign up and message her. So she remembered me and asked me out on a date. I took a day trip up to StL and we went out. We hit it off and started a long distance relationship. She moved in with me after a year and I plan to ask her to marry me as soon as I get the money to buy a ring.

talk about money..I waited 3 years for a second date and she asked me. :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
You've really gotta be careful meeting people online. Many of the women looking for men are real wackjobs. Some are really nice, shy girls that have a hard time meeting new people. They are few and far between... most of what I have met are nutcases. Won't be doing it again.

·
Cool and Refreshing
703 Posts
I met my girlfriend online, We e-mailed back and forth forever and then one day I offered her my number, she declined it and we still kept e-mailing and then one day I got an e-mail with her number in it and called her later that night, and we talked on the phone for 7 hours. I know 7 hours is extreme, and both of us had to work the next day, we felt like teenagers. Next thing I knew we were hanging out like we had known each other for years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts