Sport Bikes banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
He won't be getting into OCS with that GPA. He would have to sign up for enlisted stuff. Not a bad thing, but the pay wouldn't really be better.
I didn't know things had changed. It's been 20+ years since I got out but back in the day (BITD) The requirements for OCS were a degree and breathing. Have they waived the Ensign rule also? 6 months as an Ensign (O-1) and you were fleeted up to JG or put on the beach. The thought being that if a good chief couldn't turn an Ensign into an officer, there was no point in keeping them. :goodnight

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
I didn't know things had changed. It's been 20+ years since I got out but back in the day (BITD) The requirements for OCS were a degree and breathing. Have they waived the Ensign rule also? 6 months as an Ensign (O-1) and you were fleeted up to JG or put on the beach. The thought being that if a good chief couldn't turn an Ensign into an officer, there was no point in keeping them. :goodnight
Now, mostly due to the economy, since people have been viewing the military as a guaranteed job with good benefits, it's been very difficult to get in. Add in the budget cuts and you basically have to have at least a 3.0 to get an OCS slot. ROTC they generally give a bit more slack on since you're going through it while going to college. But for graduates, they want a higher GPA than 2.4.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
Now, mostly due to the economy, since people have been viewing the military as a guaranteed job with good benefits, it's been very difficult to get in. Add in the budget cuts and you basically have to have at least a 3.0 to get an OCS slot. ROTC they generally give a bit more slack on since you're going through it while going to college. But for graduates, they want a higher GPA than 2.4.
yep, I'm actually considering applying for the Air Force OTS in the summer if the FAA doesn't start hiring.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Sport Bike Dreamer
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hmmm. Well I have a slight update for you guys on this front. We had our annual reviews here at work on Friday of last week.

I wasn't really sure what to expect, I knew there were not going to be any problems in my review, so I was not worried. But also I had not really planned on staying for much more of the next year, so I did not really prep to much to negotiate for things.

Summary: My boss said he thought I would probably be getting bored with what I am doing sometime soon, and he didn't want me to look for other things because he has plans for me and the company.

So he ended up giving me a 20% raise, a $3k bonus, and he is buying me a new iPhone and adding me to the company plan.

Also he said that 6 months into next year he wanted me to take over managing the single biggest account we have and at the end of the year completely transition into outside sales. The taking over the existing account means I would immediately start earning commission on it. That is huge because the account is setup, and would require none of the usual cold calling or prospecting, which is a pretty damn good leg-up for going into outside sales.

Along with that he said that he wants me to hire on someone mid year to take over my position, and train them up. Which means I will be crazy busy with my normal responsibilities, plus managing the account, plus training someone.

With the transition to outside sales he said he would be buying me a new company truck to use as my own car (said I could sell my personal vehicle, if I wanted to), along with credit card to cover expenses (100% gas cost, excluding if I went on a weekend trip somewhere on my own time, that gas would be on me).

I think he could subtly tell that I was thinking about exploring other options, which was clearly advantageous for me.

·
Sport Bike Dreamer
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good. Now use your newfound salary in negotiations for future jobs.
Most definitely. I am still going to network and look for what else is out there.

My boss even said that along those lines he understands that everyone is an at will employee, and if someone makes me an offer I can't turn down he doesn't expect me to not take it. I told him I really appreciated that, and if that were to ever happen I would try and do things as best I can with giving notice and helping in the transition. Told him I respected him/company/everyone I work with (which I do) so I would never want to leave things in a bad situation or burn any bridges.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
he sounds like much less of an ass than mine.

I told mine that if he doesn't soon get us back to work on this condo (I've been jobless for a month now) that I am gonna be job hunting. He replied with "Oh? Mcdonalds is hiring?"

·
Sport Bike Dreamer
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
New phone. Going to be a bit of an adjustment coming from my Galaxy S3, and all my previous phones were android. Can't bitch about a free phone, though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Hmmm. Well I have a slight update for you guys on this front. We had our annual reviews here at work on Friday of last week.

I wasn't really sure what to expect, I knew there were not going to be any problems in my review, so I was not worried. But also I had not really planned on staying for much more of the next year, so I did not really prep to much to negotiate for things.

Summary: My boss said he thought I would probably be getting bored with what I am doing sometime soon, and he didn't want me to look for other things because he has plans for me and the company.

So he ended up giving me a 20% raise, a $3k bonus, and he is buying me a new iPhone and adding me to the company plan.

Also he said that 6 months into next year he wanted me to take over managing the single biggest account we have and at the end of the year completely transition into outside sales. The taking over the existing account means I would immediately start earning commission on it. That is huge because the account is setup, and would require none of the usual cold calling or prospecting, which is a pretty damn good leg-up for going into outside sales.

Along with that he said that he wants me to hire on someone mid year to take over my position, and train them up. Which means I will be crazy busy with my normal responsibilities, plus managing the account, plus training someone.

With the transition to outside sales he said he would be buying me a new company truck to use as my own car (said I could sell my personal vehicle, if I wanted to), along with credit card to cover expenses (100% gas cost, excluding if I went on a weekend trip somewhere on my own time, that gas would be on me).

I think he could subtly tell that I was thinking about exploring other options, which was clearly advantageous for me.
Umm, am i the only one that this sets off all kinds of alarm bells for. cause this smells slicker than deer guts on the door step to me.

Last time i had a boss who tried to make me dependent on him (trying to have me rent a house he owned, wanting me to use a company car, trying to have me on a company cell) i took it as a sign that he was corrupt and a scum bag.

six months latter the company was bankrupt, the bank siezed his house, and the I.R.S wanted to know where their tax money was.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
And there is the upside of the private sector and 401k's. My pay sucks, my employer sucks, the equipment they give us is garbage, yet I won't leave because I haven't yet done the 15 years required to be vested in the pension and get the bare minimum. Leave before then and you get nothing. It's a hassle but it's nice to be able to hop between jobs hunting for better pay and conditions.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Umm, am i the only one that this sets off all kinds of alarm bells for. cause this smells slicker than deer guts on the door step to me.

Last time i had a boss who tried to make me dependent on him (trying to have me rent a house he owned, wanting me to use a company car, trying to have me on a company cell) i took it as a sign that he was corrupt and a scum bag.

six months latter the company was bankrupt, the bank siezed his house, and the I.R.S wanted to know where their tax money was.
I don't know that they are skipping out on their taxes, but they certainly were trying to get him locked into the job and make it too easy for him to not leave. That's why he should take his new salary and get out since they just increased it. I would probably look for a 5-10% raise from the new salary from any new company he was interviewing with.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
And there is the upside of the private sector and 401k's. My pay sucks, my employer sucks, the equipment they give us is garbage, yet I won't leave because I haven't yet done the 15 years required to be vested in the pension and get the bare minimum. Leave before then and you get nothing. It's a hassle but it's nice to be able to hop between jobs hunting for better pay and conditions.

Grass is always greener.

One could say similar things to you. Having a pension is killer. The vast majority of people now don't have any, or you lose it and won't get another one if you hop jobs. More secure employment. Much less stressful (not necessarily you since you are Police, but the majority of government/government contractors. My first job out of school in CT was like this).

Really, it's about picking which things you want more and gambling. In 2006-2007, the private sector was killing it, and most people wouldn't take a government job. Come 2008-2009, everyone is bitching about how government jobs are overpaid, over benefitted, etc.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts