Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question regarding measuring chain slack,

What does Yamaha mean by the diagram in the owner's manual when they show the dimension line below the swing arm? I don't know how to interpret the diagram. It is vague in my opinion. Or I am really stupid.

Does the diagram indicate to measure between the bottom of the swing arm and bottom of chain?

Or bottom of swing arm and top of chain?

Or does the picture represent the up and down free play (total run out) of the chain?

Also there is a discrepancy between the Yamaha shop manual and the owner's manual. The Owner's manual shows a reference point at the chain rubber block. The shop manual shows a reference point farther back on the swing arm.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I'd say split the difference and call it good.
It's not an exact science.

·
On The Job
1,739 Posts
winind said:
Question regarding measuring chain slack,

What does Yamaha mean by the diagram in the owner's manual when they show the dimension line below the swing arm? I don't know how to interpret the diagram. It is vague in my opinion. Or I am really stupid.

Does the diagram indicate to measure between the bottom of the swing arm and bottom of chain?

Or bottom of swing arm and top of chain?

Or does the picture represent the up and down free play (total run out) of the chain?

Also there is a discrepancy between the Yamaha shop manual and the owner's manual. The Owner's manual shows a reference point at the chain rubber block. The shop manual shows a reference point farther back on the swing arm.
You are supposed to measure from the highest point the chain will go to the lowest. Or as you stated above up and down freeplay (total run out). Personally I would go by the shop manual. I dont think its super critical where you measure it from. You can always call the dealership and ask them what point to measure from.

·
FastAss
321 Posts
I think it is from the bottom of the swing arm to the center of the chain's link pin. If you hold a rule there you can adjust the rear nut until you get the exact slack you want. You can then adjust the other side to the same spot using the factory markings on the adjuster.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It bothers me when technical drawings are not clear. I know the FZ1 uses the total run out method. The reason I asked is that depending on how a person interprets the diagram the chain can either be in spec or not.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
This bothers me too...

I just adjusted my chain the other day, and the vague diagram in the factory service manual bothers me. I interpeted it to mean that difference in between holding the chain all the way down to holding the chain all the way up, at the point on the swingarm illustrated in the manual. I have no idea if that it right though. Although my chain felt loose judging by the large amounts of driveline lash I was feeling (thus the reason for me adjusting it), according to the manual it was close to the tight value. Confusing.

·
Squidtastical
349 Posts
If you look closely at the diagram, there is an H turned sideways. The top of the H runs parallel to the bottom the swingarm and the bottom of the H is down by the tire. Give it about two inches of total travel up and down.

PS this isfrom the 05 manual.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts