Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent two days in Mid May out at VIR with California Superbike School.

If you have never attended, it is definately worth the price of admission, it was $950 for the two days for me at VIR. I brought my own bike (saves $200/day) since I knew if I was traveling that far and that close to great roads I wanted to do some riding, so having my bike with was a must.
California Superbike School - YouTube
^the schools youtube page^
Motorcycle Riding School - California Superbike School
^ school website

There was about a 50/50 split of non sportbikes and sportbikes with a few people riding their streetbikes right from the street to the track with no prep whatsoever... I am sure tech guys loved that? Of course they do have their fleet of S1000RR and all of them were used as well, then naturally there were those who brought their racebikes/trackbikes.
I found the staff very knowledgable and friendly even when they were rushed for time, I never felt I was. They would/could talk for hours if the wranglers didn't keep things moving along.
The drills while some of them I knew all too well, it was good to have a highly trained coach watching and demonstrating and to bounce things off of...And when I say highly trained-----these guys/girls go through rigorous training and testing and a constant evaluation process... These guys know riding better than anyone...
It (CSS) was quite a huge difference in how it was in the 80's when I last attended, although a couple faces were the same and even the lean bike drill was similar---although it should be more correctly named the body position bike, since that is what one works on - leaning is simply a side affect...........It is a cornering school afterall, so it stands to reason the emphasis is on cornering.
You may be suprised at how much spending 5 minutes sitting idle on a bike can improve your riding, of course with the trained staff helping you/telling you what to do. Then you follow immediately with executing it under close supervision. Lean bike for some was a huge eye opener, for others a simple 1" this way or that and a little more/less open of the hips was all they needed. It seemed a very common problem that too many get too far off the seat.

It is for "everyone" not just go fast racer wannabe's....but I highly suggest reading twist of the wrist I & II before attending-it'll make understanding and grasping the concepts and drills so much easier. Besides you don't want to be that 1 person that doesn't have a clue out of your class of about 20 and take up most of the instructors time....yeah, nobody wants to be that guy. Even the dvds and Soft Science would good to read as well.
Those would all be good books to read and know even if you don't attend. There is no way it wouldn't improve your riding unless you simply don't apply the skills.

Classroom had me in a group of about 20 or so both days but my on track instruction had me with only 2 other students (3:1 ratio student to coach)-the off track bikes are 1:1 with the coach between sessions.
It paid dividends to be first in line as soon as they called my group to the track, I typically got 9=11 laps in in our ~20 minute~ sessions...some of the lollygaggers and "slow" people only would get 5 or maybe 6 laps. Kieth, Dillon, Cobie and the whole crew were actually alot more fun than one would think with so much work to do. All of them approachable and easy to talk to, even if it could only be for a minute or two with all that goes on.

I was told after the first session to pass more assertively....lol--didn't need to ask me twice, keeping the prescribed 6' "safe area" away from everyone sometimes proved problematic, especially if you weren't assertive.......I had no passing issues on day 2 as traffic was far less congested......The final session on day 2 had numerous crashes, some school bikes, some self owned bikes. I felt too many people went out there that session trying to knock off some super fast lap times and forget they were there to learn...I found myself easily running sub 2:00 minute lap times both days running at a very easy pace. Only in that final session did I push any harder and then knocked off sub 1:50's for 12 laps straight...not too bad for an old guy...

Also spent the day prior to school riding in Virginia & West Virginia and then the day following riding in North Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee. (missed finding Jay's group near the gap, but...)

Everything sure seemed slow after being on the racetrack for two days.

The school was definately the highlight of the trip and well worth the 3630 miles I put on the Mustang towing the trailer.

So 3630 miles on the car towing an enclosed trailer (avg 20.55 mpg)
279 miles on the track between the 2 days (avg 33.40 mpg)
620 miles in 2 partial days of riding the area (avg 43.93 mpg)

Get home to 3 weeks of rain, after leaving behind over a foot of snow in early May........Riding season in MN has barely arrived with record setting rain amounts the entire month of May and still high temps in the 50's and rain pretty much for the last 10 days sans 1.......It still seems more like April rather than June here.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Interesting read Riverszzr. Always wanted to go to one of these schools; racing isn't my thing mainly because of the cost of racing, lack of experience and now age. Don't know how it would relate to riding twisties at a moderate clip or not because I ride pace and don't brake before going in or accelerate going out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts