Sport Bikes banner

May be getting a bike..!

666 views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Mattz 
#1 ·
Well guys a buddy of mine is selling his 2004 GSXR 600. He said I could take over payments til I sold my car then I'd just buy it out. I'm going to be buying it for 5,000 (I know, awesome deal) and it's got 4200 miles on it. Its clean as hell, never been dropped or anything. It needs a new back tire, though, so he's going to call suzuki and find out how much one costs and I'm gonna buy it. Now onto my question. He says hes kept up with the oil changes but I don't think hes kept up with much else. I've asked him if he had taken it into suzuki for the full service and he said no. So, I was thinking that after I got it sometime next week I'd take it down to the dealer to get a full service. What all should I make sure gets done? I'm sure it would probably need new brakes wouldn't it? How much are those? Then I was thinking coolant flush, maybe tranny? Chain adjustment, oil change, etc. Anything else I should inquire about? Any ideas how much I'm looking at spending? I just want this thing to run tip top. I drove it today and it runs pretty damn good and sounds awesome (yoshimura race pipe).

So gives me a heads up and helping hand. :)

#2 ·
Take it in for a full service. From a good shop, full service, +rear tire shouldn't cost more than 600 or so. I think the GSXR doesn't have too much in the way of major service until 11k when you have your first valve job. I don't remember exactly, though. Sounds like a good deal.

Brake pads are 30/set or so, usually, so figure 90 bucks plus labor if you don't do 'em yourself, you'll wanna flush and replace the brake fluid, chain shouldn't need replaced (if it does, then that's why you're only paying 5k--4200 miles should NOT kill a chain).

Look at the fork seals, see if they're leaky. But really, all this should be done for the full service. Sounds good.

...A yosh on a Gixxer. I never would have thought of that combo :lol

#3 ·
Hagios said:
Take it in for a full service. From a good shop, full service, +rear tire shouldn't cost more than 600 or so. I think the GSXR doesn't have too much in the way of major service until 11k when you have your first valve job. I don't remember exactly, though. Sounds like a good deal.

Brake pads are 30/set or so, usually, so figure 90 bucks plus labor if you don't do 'em yourself, you'll wanna flush and replace the brake fluid, chain shouldn't need replaced (if it does, then that's why you're only paying 5k--4200 miles should NOT kill a chain).

Look at the fork seals, see if they're leaky. But really, all this should be done for the full service. Sounds good.

...A yosh on a Gixxer. I never would have thought of that combo :lol
Wowsers, 400 for a service eh? Thats pretty steep, guess I was thinking a bit cheaper. Are chains real expensive?

Appreciate the detailed response. :)

#4 · (Edited)
Er, hang on a minute, this is a 2004 bike with only 4200 miles on it.

The brake fluid won't need replacing, and neither will the coolant, they'll just check the level of both, unlikely you'll need new brake pads either.

New back tyre maybe, oil change definitely, chain adjustment definitely (but you could that yourself in 30 minutes), maybe tighten the head bearings if they haven't been adjusted since new. They might check the valve clearances seeing as it's never seen a workshop.

I can't understand why people spend all that money on new bikes and then don't get them serviced according to the manafacturers recommendations.

#5 ·
^^^

It's a used bike. Even from a friend, I would dump all the fluids. Why take chances and not be sure? Brake fluid and coolant are cheap. Engine block is not. No reason not to, really.

The prices I listed are from around here. I'm just minutes away from Santa Cruz, and from Laguna Seca. Prices around here suck. But hey--better to estimate high, than to estimate low, right?

#6 ·
bomma said:
Er, hang on a minute, this is a 2004 bike with only 4200 miles on it.

The brake fluid won't need replacing, and neither will the coolant, they'll just check the level of both, unlikely you'll need new brake pads either.

New back tyre maybe, oil change definitely, chain adjustment definitely (but you could that yourself in 30 minutes), maybe tighten the head bearings if they haven't been adjusted since new.
Thanks for the reply, I just want to knock everything out so theres not any problems down the road. Think the tranny would need serviced or anything? Also, how much does a dealership charge to put a clutch in, out of curiosity? Keep the suggestions coming, really appreciate it.

#7 ·
Hagios said:
^^^

It's a used bike. Even from a friend, I would dump all the fluids. Why take chances and not be sure? Brake fluid and coolant are cheap. Engine block is not. No reason not to, really.

The prices I listed are from around here. I'm just minutes away from Santa Cruz, and from Laguna Seca. Prices around here suck. But hey--better to estimate high, than to estimate low, right?
True, I'll find out just what all they include in their big services and then see how much extra it'd be to include those you mentioned/.

#8 ·
The plates for my old EX500 were 15/pc, and it had 8. I figure, the GSX-R will cost more than an old-tech EX5. Your clutch shouldn't need work. Neither should the tranny. If either do, that's a big red flag about the bike...

#9 ·
If you took it to a decent Suzuki dealer for a full service I reckon all they'd do is check the coolant and brake fluid levels, I doubt the caps of the reservoirs have been off, there really is no need to change them.

Your transmission is chain drive, if it's been lubricated all it should need is adjusting which is piss easy if you have a paddock stand to get the back wheel off the ground. You won't need a new chain with only 4200 miles on it.

Neither will you need a new clutch, it's a low mileage bike.

How has the bike been ridden ?, obviously your mate hes ignored the maintenance.

Just to put it in perspective, my FireBlade (900RR to you lot :) ) has done 40,000 miles and it's still on its original clutch, and only its 3rd chain.

#10 ·
bomma said:
If you took it to a decent Suzuki dealer for a full service I reckon all they'd do is check the coolant and brake fluid levels, I doubt the caps of the reservoirs have been off, there really is no need to change them.

Your transmission is chain drive, if it's been lubricated all it should need is adjusting which is piss easy if you have a paddock stand to get the back wheel off the ground. You won't need a new chain with only 4200 miles on it.

Neither will you need a new clutch, it's a low mileage bike.

How has the bike been ridden ?, obviously your mate hes ignored the maintenance.

Just to put it in perspective, my FireBlade (900RR to you lot :) ) has done 40,000 miles and it's still on its original clutch, and only its 3rd chain.
Thanks for the reply. As far as how it's been ridden I know it hasn't been grandma'd around, but then again, what sport bike has? He has raced dirtbikes for a while so I'm sure he knows how to drive it, he said hes kept up with the oil and everything. I appreciate all the replies, anymore suggestions please let me know.

#15 ·
just dont kill yourself :)

#18 ·
dude clutch should be fine, brake and coolant fluid should be fine, tranny is fine, brake pads are fine. id make sure the chain is at the correct tightness, and throw some new oil in. if the clutch is smoked, then dude was abusing the bike....ive clutched up many wheelies and my clutch is still intact, if he smoked his in 2 or 3k miles, he needs to work on his technique.

#19 ·
snigg said:
dude clutch should be fine, brake and coolant fluid should be fine, tranny is fine, brake pads are fine. id make sure the chain is at the correct tightness, and throw some new oil in. if the clutch is smoked, then dude was abusing the bike....ive clutched up many wheelies and my clutch is still intact, if he smoked his in 2 or 3k miles, he needs to work on his technique.
Thanks, the brakes feel fine, just want to be sure. I'll be taking it in for a service. Best part of the deal I can a sweet ass Arai helmet thrown in. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.