Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a maxxis supermaxx tire on the rear of my bike.. any input on this tire? good? bad? average?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've got the same tire on the rear of my bike. Came with the bike new. I'd say average/good. Definitely nothing special.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
YIKES!!! :eek: Never compramise on the rubber you have on the bike. Generally OEM tires are nothing too hot. On some bikes there pure rubbish. I've learned the hard way with tires, always get the best you can afford. The skin you save will be much more expensive than the few bucks you save on a cheapo tire...

Also, be sure the tire manufacturer says the particular tire is ok for your make/model of bike. Some bikes can be really squirrley with mix/matched tire combos.... I once had a very triangulated dunlop front and a round metzler rear and my GSXR was so dam squirrely it was spooky to ride above 45mph

Also some tires are notorious for being "crack sniffers" tires that act weird when they encounter a crack in the road....

Best tire I've found for $ to miles ratio and being a consistant top performing tire has been Bridgestones Battle Axe, the worst Michelin or Dunlops..... Battle Axes have gone well over 5000 miles for me while I've never seen a dunlop go over 1800 yet the performance between the 2 is so close unless you are into championship racing you will never notice the difference except in how much more drunk you can get because you still have that 200 bux ya saved on the Battleaxe :D :D

·
Registered
251 Posts
I liked the Bridgestones (BT010s)too until they stopped making them and replaced them with BT014s which are "crack sniffers" in my opinion. I put some Pilot Roads on my bike this time around. They stick fine for street use and seem to be wearing like iron. No crack sniffing either.

Never tried Maxxis. I'm kinda prejudiced against tires made in China after using some Chinese tires on my boat trailer and having a spectacular blowout for no apparent reason. Turns out my experience is quite common with these trailer tires. I've also been to China a couple of times and don't think the general attention to detail is up to snuff there.

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Didnt happen to be Nankangs (Nanco) did they? We sell all kinds of those suckers....and most of the blowouts/defects we get back are Nankangs.

I have a hatred for Bridgestone now for the stock tires on my Ninja 500. The bike is by no means a powerful or performance-oriented bike...but god, the tires don't do it justice. I've kicked the bike out giving a tad too much throttle exiting a corner.....and the bike feels extremely iffy on a hard lean. It's actually scary and definitely not confidence-inspiring.... I quit leaning my bike because of that....only straight lines and grandma turns for me til I get some stickier meats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts