Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been tons of topics on various chain lubrications, but there were never really definitive answers on which is the best. Some prefer lube, some prefer oil, some prefer wax. Well, I've tried all three (including "won't fling off" blue label PJ-1), and Maxima has performed the best by far. I must have used the wrong oil or too much, because the oil went everywhere. I don't mind cleaning up the bike a bit, but it makes me nervous having oil fling everywhere. The blue label chain lube also flung off, despite the claim "won't fling off" right on the can. I cleaned the chain beforehand and everything. Maybe it was a fluke, but I wasn't all that pleased. The Maxima wax flung a very small amount, but it was very little. Nothing compared to the other two.

·
Registered
966 Posts
WOW, now that you have said this im going to go out and buy some since you said it was the best!! :rolleyes .....opionions are like assholes, everyones got one! :lao

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't care if you buy it or not. The point is, it's the only thing that didn't fly all over the place. That doesn't have anything to do with my opinion.

·
Registered
321 Posts
murfnamedsmurf said:
I know there have been tons of topics on various chain lubrications, but there were never really definitive answers on which is the best. Some prefer lube, some prefer oil, some prefer wax. Well, I've tried all three (including "won't fling off" blue label PJ-1), and Maxima has performed the best by far. I must have used the wrong oil or too much, because the oil went everywhere. I don't mind cleaning up the bike a bit, but it makes me nervous having oil fling everywhere. The blue label chain lube also flung off, despite the claim "won't fling off" right on the can. I cleaned the chain beforehand and everything. Maybe it was a fluke, but I wasn't all that pleased. The Maxima wax flung a very small amount, but it was very little. Nothing compared to the other two.
FYI, that is all I use. Chain wax, and WD 40. I put on the WD40, wipe it off, and then spray on the chain wax, wipe it off, end resut, my chain lasted 36,000 miles on my 01 gixxer, and 30,000 miles on my 03 RC51..

BTW, my 01 gixxer has 49,500 miles right now, and on the SECOND CHAIN.

Not to mention that I am a white wheel freak. I even have white wheels on my RC51, and they STAY clean.. I clean the VERY little overspray off.

Can't go wrong with Chain wax. IMO, the rest of stuff slings off and makes a mess. Just my opinion...

ceh

·
Banned
730 Posts
Chain wax is only good for not flying off of the chain. For actually protecting the chain, oil is best. What happens when you squeeze wax? It retains the new shape you've made until you reshape it again, right? That's what the sprockets and even different moving parts of the chain do. They push the wax out of the way and there's no way it can get back into that same spot. Thereby leaving parts of the chain "raw" to the elements. A smaller amount of thicker oil is the way to go as it has some "memory". It gets squeezed by sprocket and chain movement and the viscosity helps it slide back into the same spot.

Take some chain wax and spray it on something flat in your garage. After you let it dry, push a finger or two into it and see if it "bounces" back or stays imprinted. Same principle as on the bike.

I used yo use wax, but have been educated to the disadvantages of it. Actually, no mess is its only advantage.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I've used it for years and don't have any complaints.

·
Registered
966 Posts
murfnamedsmurf said:
I don't care if you buy it or not. The point is, it's the only thing that didn't fly all over the place. That doesn't have anything to do with my opinion.
I wonder how you used the other brands......did you sprary it on a cold chain or warm one?

·
Registered
198 Posts
On my new chain, Im going to follow some advice I heard on hear a while back and just not lube it at all. Only a wipe down once in a while with a cleaner. "I think that o-ring, x-ring, and all the likes are sealed anyway."

·
Like Bing and Bong
795 Posts
Now the question is where is the best place to purchase it at?

·
Ooh lawd!
8,466 Posts
I take a short ride around the block then use Maxima chain OIL. Spray on chain with cloth behind, wipe down sections of chain till shiny. Repeat. No fling when done this way.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
you did wipe off the excess PJ1 off right???? I use PJ1 Blue Label and keep my bike VERY clean, I never get any fling off, you simply have to get that excess lube off there

·
Invicible for 170M years
2,293 Posts
PJ1 here - 30k miles on the stock busa chain/sprockets with no signs of wearing out yet. In fact I took my bike to a shop the other day and the owner asked when I had gotten the new chain. I never have any fling-off. I just put it on the inside of the chain every 500 miles or so and clean with WD-40 every oil change.

·
Registered
985 Posts
vuu16v said:
Chain wax is only good for not flying off of the chain. For actually protecting the chain, oil is best. What happens when you squeeze wax? It retains the new shape you've made until you reshape it again, right? That's what the sprockets and even different moving parts of the chain do. They push the wax out of the way and there's no way it can get back into that same spot. Thereby leaving parts of the chain "raw" to the elements. A smaller amount of thicker oil is the way to go as it has some "memory". It gets squeezed by sprocket and chain movement and the viscosity helps it slide back into the same spot.

Take some chain wax and spray it on something flat in your garage. After you let it dry, push a finger or two into it and see if it "bounces" back or stays imprinted. Same principle as on the bike.

I used yo use wax, but have been educated to the disadvantages of it. Actually, no mess is its only advantage.

The points your trying to make are somewhat valid but., the wax was ment to go on a warm chain so it can heat up and PENETRATE into the space inbetween links and lube the moving parts. not just sit there and let you push your fingers into it. its actually cool to watch it get sucked up into the links on a warm chain, sorta like PB rustblaster wlll run upwards to getinto a rusty bolt/nut. from my exp the wax works best on a warm chain. So yes there is way for the wax to get back into the moving spots once the chain heats up the wax that was/is expelled from sitting /being cold/freezeing heats back up if you warm the bike up/ take for easy ride around the block to heats up the chain/ take it wasy to not fling it all over and it will go on fine. then wipe off Ex.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts