her, she stood there and cried.

Why do I tell you this?

Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

Teaching Math In 1950

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is
4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1960

4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970

$80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1980

A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production
is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 1990

A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the
preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of
$20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class
participation after answering the question: How did the birds and
squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong
answers.)

Teaching Math In 2005

Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la
producciones es $80. :neener

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
good one. I love doing that in stores. you can tell the idiots cause they always give you some wierd look, or get snotty without realizing you are actually making it easier for them to give you change.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
HA! HA! HA! HA! :eek:nfloor very funny, and yet very true

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hahaha...this is why I worked drive through register everytime when I used to work at arby. Most the employees were girls, and couldn't count worth shit. :smokin

(i'm not saying this about all girls)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thats the problem with the US today. We have to adapt to learn spanish so that we (for example) can even buy a burger in our own country. In my opinion if you can't speak english get out of our country!!!

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lukeharrington said:
Thats the problem with the US today. We have to adapt to learn spanish so that we (for example) can even buy a burger in our own country. In my opinion if you can't speak english get out of our country!!!
it's sad that i live and work in the US and if i didn't speak spanish i wouldn't be able to do my job - i'm a nurse....

·
Registered
597 Posts
That is great! I love it. The way schools are run today is total BS. I am a math teacher and I left public education to teach private just for reasons like this. In private school I can teach how I want and wrong answers are wrong answers. Seems like in public education that if you tell a student they are wrong it ruins them for life :rolleyes .
Everything has to be candy coated and twisted into a possitive. It is absolutley insane.

I had a girl at a register one day and I gave her the money but she hit the wrong button and the change display went away and she was stuck.. I told her what my change was 2 or 3 times but she went for the manager. He told her to just count out my change and she was like "how am I supposed to do that?" he just stared and I just laughed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I used to work the Drive-Thru for Burger King many years ago, and it was sad seeing some of the people replace me with no math skills at all!

Anyway, what was even more annoying was that I went to Subway the other day for lunch (I live in SoCal) and this hispanic lady working there couldn't understand a word of english at all (it was also her first day, and all the managers, employees were hispanic). Does this raise any flags for anybody else?

Btw, Great story badgixxer!

·
Old school fool
5,720 Posts
MMM - I wish there was a Burger King in Japan...

Sorry, I always had a hard time staying on task when I was in school. :neener

·
Take care now ......
1,615 Posts
:lao That was great! I do that all the time to cashiers. I give them an odd amount in order to get quarters back or an extra single to get a 5 or 10 back. They look confused as hell most of the time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Call it my devious/cruel/prankster nature at times, but I love going to McD's or any other fast food joint and using a combination of 2 dollar bills, Sacagawea dollar coins and most importantly, the SBA dollar coin. Damn is it funny to see thier faces as they stare blankly at the SBA thinking it's a quarter! I had one little hispanic girl stare at a SBA for a while before holding it up above her head exclaiming "Mira Mira Esta Dollere!"

yeah, I need more excitement in my life.

BTW, all these fine examples of US currency can usually be obtained at your local bank or credit union. They usually have plenty on hand because nobody ever wants to use them (except me it seems)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Course 3 said:
Call it my devious/cruel/prankster nature at times, but I love going to McD's or any other fast food joint and using a combination of 2 dollar bills, Sacagawea dollar coins and most importantly, the SBA dollar coin. Damn is it funny to see thier faces as they stare blankly at the SBA thinking it's a quarter! I had one little hispanic girl stare at a SBA for a while before holding it up above her head exclaiming "Mira Mira Esta Dollere!"

yeah, I need more excitement in my life.

BTW, all these fine examples of US currency can usually be obtained at your local bank or credit union. They usually have plenty on hand because nobody ever wants to use them (except me it seems)

You hear about the guy at Best Buy that tried to pay all in Jefferson $2 bills and they called security over to arrest him for counterfeiting? The security guard was an older gentleman and turned ont he cashier and manager. "What's the matter with you?"

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
huffy10speed said:
:eek:nfloor Funny.Thanks for the laugh :beer

+1 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :eek:nfloor

1 - 17 of 17 Posts