Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can everyone go check their master cylinder and see if the brake line attaches on the end like this pic?

Everything I'm finding attaches on the bottom. Speedy needs a MC swap and I want to get away with not buying new lines if I can.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
the line to the reserve tank? or the banjo bolt and brake line?

either way what determines if you can use it is if the fittings work together, not what position it is in.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the line to the reserve tank? or the banjo bolt and brake line?

either way what determines if you can use it is if the fittings work together, not what position it is in.
the banjo bolt to the brake line.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should just buy new lines and not be cheap. Front brake system is kind of important. I do have a question though.

If you look at the pic in the OP, there is one brake line out of the MC. It goes down to the right brake caliper. Then there is another line going from the right caliper to the left caliper. Is there any benefit to using 2 lines straight from the MC instead of doing the cross over thing? (Does what I'm asking make sense to anyone? I can't figure out a way to explain this.)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
The benefit of the 2 lines vs crossover has little to do with braking .. they work the same . However if racing the 2 lines is the saftey set up . Chap here was killed when he blew out his front tyre , this destroyed his front mudguard and took the crossover line with it , he then came to a sharp bend with no front brakes , he died .Similar incidents had already taken place soooo.. Since then all race bikes have 2 lines in the UK as dictated by the ACU .

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I actually have a Brembo Goldline MC off an 08 Aprilia Tuono in my garage. I replaced it with a new one because I was having a problem with the brakes getting air in them and thought it was the MC, but after I replaced it the problem continued so the MC is probably actually fine.

If it's the part you need and you want it it's yours, shoot me a PM.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stock mc is 14mm and has a mushy feel. Triumph guys are saying a 16mm Yamaha or 19mm Suzuki radial master cylinder is a good, cheap, upgrade. I also don't like that the oem mc on the speedy doesn't have a bleed screw. Brembo came highly recommended but was more expensive than the other options.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Pretty sure my reservoir would hook right up and the oem triumph clamp would fit. I could get a cheap set of shorty levers. Then just make the brake light switch work

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
The stock mc is 14mm and has a mushy feel. Triumph guys are saying a 16mm Yamaha or 19mm Suzuki radial master cylinder is a good, cheap, upgrade. I also don't like that the oem mc on the speedy doesn't have a bleed screw. Brembo came highly recommended but was more expensive than the other options.
The master cylinder ins't causing the mush, likely worn to hell lines are...coupled with crap fluid. Those bikes won a TON of braking contests back in their day. Are they monoblock-brembo's...no. But those brakes are fine box stock, just lacking in feel due to 20+ year old braking technology.

If I were trying to upgrade on the cheap, find a used radial MC off of a Street Triple R or +2009 Daytona 675 and get some speigler Street Triple lines and sintered pads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts