Sport Bikes banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Newbie2it said:
I agree there needs to definately be a ban on cell phone use period. Here in RI our moronic drivers cant drive the friggen car let alone have a hands free set cause their too busy fighting or making appointments. Its simple, Pull the f'kn car over and have all the conversation in the world that you want.
I have a funny story about that.

I pulled over into a liquor store near home to talk to an old buddy. I was planning on buying a couple of six-packs (wifely likes different type of beer). So I noticed a cruiser come into and exit the parking lot like four or five times.

On the fifth time, he got right behind my car, put on the strobes and aimed the spot light. Yeah, I was pulled over. FOR PULLING OVER TO TALK ON MY PHONE RATHER THAN TALKING ON MY PHONE WHILE DRIVING.

The cop was cool though. He though it was weird that I was in the lot for the better part of an hour.

I just told him my preference; To stay off the road while conversing on the phone.

His response was good though, "Why would you want to do something safe like that?" It was tongue-in-cheek, and met with a smile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lownuff said:
EDIT: I also think seat belt laws are ridiculous. If I want to risk dieing by not wearing my seat belt, then let me f*cking die. :) Thanks.
Thats why motorcycles dont have seat belts :::tongue in cheeck::::: :neener

·
St'er and Racer
48 Posts
I think not driving while on the phone is a good thing, and hope the proposed law passes.

I've never been on the receiving end of an inattentive cager's phone conversation, but have seen that people on the phone just don't pay close enough attention to driving.

I gave a short toot on the horn just tonight to some cager who was on his cell when the light turned green, and didn't notice.

There's always someone gabbing on the phone while driving down the Mass Pike, and I can't help but think that they should be watching the road instead. It seems that every third person has to use their cell phone RIGHT NOW!

My son crashed his VFR a few years ago. When we were driving to pick him up at the hospital, we followed an SUV momma thru Hartford, and she couldn't stay in her lane while she was gabbing on her phone.

Finally, I was in CA a few years back and needed to call one of my suppliers while driving to the border to TJ. I was on my cell talking to the Apps guy, and totally blew the red light while I was driving to the I-8.

Steve

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
UPDATE

House to consider cellphone driving ban - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

House to consider cellphone driving ban

January 16, 2008 08:21 AM

By Globe Staff

Should driving while talking on a cellphone be banned? How about driving while texting?

Those questions will be considered today by the Massachusetts House after a proposed cellphone driving ban bill was approved yesterday by the Legislature's Joint Committee on Transportation.

"I think it's good public policy. I think it makes common sense. The idea when you're driving is to keep your eyes on the road," Representative Joseph F. Wagner, a Chicopee Democrat who is the committee's cochairman and sponsor of the bill, said this morning.

The bill would fine drivers who use the devices $100 for the first offense, $250 for the second, and $500 for subsequent offenses. Drivers under 18 also could face license suspension.

The legislation would also ban drivers from using pagers, PDAs, and laptops. Hands-free technology would still be allowed, so drivers could talk on cellphones if they used earpieces.

California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Washington, and the District of Columbia have banned drivers from using hand-held cellphones, although hands-free devices are allowed.

The push for the bill comes after reports of fatal accidents in Taunton and Southbridge involving drivers sending or receiving text messages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the heads up on the Mass front for a ban. RI is finally moving forward with a ban regarding cell phone use and texting. Hands free technology will still be allowed however. I think there also is an added provision for prohibiting use of phones while driving by new license holders till they are 18. Fortunately the bill is coming from the mouth of the gov since RIs facing a 500 million budget shortfall this year. Basically that means this law will hopefully get pushed thru speedily since it would add fines to the coffer to try and close the budget gap.

It's one time I am glad to see a budget shortfall :)

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, the data is sort of mixed on hands-free devices. Unfortunately, there are enough people who are not responsible when using their mobile phones and operating motor vehicles. Some studies show that operators are almost or more dangerous than motorists that are intoxicated. Other studies show that they're not that dangerous and the risk is acceptable.

I didn't see the actual text of the bill, but it would prohibit drivers from using mobile equipment, including PDAs, laptops, phones, etc. while operating. LEOs and other emergency staff are exempt (not sure if the restriction is only while they're on duty). Only hands-free phones can be used.

Looks like the bill passed the house today and will probably be going to the Senate soon. I'll keep posting with updates.

Personally, I seldom use my phone while driving, especially during high traffic areas or in the city. I use common sense. It's a pity that common sense has to actually be legislated.

House passes bill restricting cellphone use in cars

January 23, 2008 04:12 PM

By Noah Bierman, Globe Staff

The state House of Representatives passed a bill today that would ban drivers from text messaging and using hand-held phones by a vote of 107 to 47.

The measure, which still faces a vote in the Senate, would fine violators $100 to $500. The use of hands-free technology would be allowed, so drivers could still talk on cellphones as long as they had earpieces. About a dozen bills were filed on the issue last year, but they failed to gain traction on Beacon Hill.

Melissa Martin of Southbridge watched today's vote and began to cry when her lawmakers discussed her 17-year-old daughter, Amanda, who was killed in October in Charlton when her car went off the road and hit a tree as she drove to school. Police believe text messaging may have been to blame for the accident because she received a message at 7:22 a.m., three minutes before the crash.

“I’m happy it is going to the next level,” Melissa Martin said.

The legislation would also ban drivers from using pagers, PDAs, and laptops. It would not affect audio equipment or Global Positioning Systems, and would not apply to public safety officials or civilians responding to emergencies.

Under current law, Massachusetts police can hand out tickets for distractions that impede driving, such as having unwieldy items hanging from a rear-view mirror or eating while trying to drive, but the law allows the use of cellphones as long one hand remains on the wheel.
In addition to fines, the legislation would suspend the license of drivers under age 18. They would lose their license for 60 days for the first offense; 180 days for the second; and a year for the third.

California, Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, Washington, and the District of Columbia have banned drivers from using hand-held cellphones, although hands-free devices are allowed.
Source: House passes bill restricting cellphone use in cars - Local News Updates - The Boston Globe

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi, I live in Mass..
Did this go through yet?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hope this moves forward! Almost half the close-calls I see on the road are typically distracted drivers using mobile phones. The State of New York got it right. Time for Massachusetts to do the same!

Legislation to restrict cell phone usage by drivers moves to House

Source: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO16207/

Video: mms://wm.world.mii-streaming.net/media/whdh/windowsmedia/news_articles/l060316_cell_phone_bill.wmv
Even though talking hands free has been proven to be as distracting to a driver as talking and holding the phone I'd like to see a hands free law passed. Perhaps people would use their turn signals more often and be able to maneuver more quickly.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts