Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this moves forward! Almost half the close-calls I see on the road are typically distracted drivers using mobile phones. The State of New York got it right. Time for Massachusetts to do the same!

Legislation to restrict cell phone usage by drivers moves to House

BOSTON (AP) -- Passage is far from certain, but a bill that would restrict cell phone usage by motorists has cleared a first hurdle on Beacon Hill.

The Legislature's Transportation Committee voted seven-to-two to send the bill to the full House. Ten other members of the panel did not vote.

The measure would make it illegal for anyone under 18 to have a cell phone conservation while driving. All other motorists would be required to use hands-free devices while talking.

Among the bill's critics is state Senator Steven Baddour of Methuen, who co-chairs the Transportation Committee. He tells The Boston Globe there is no evidence that hands-free devices solve the problem of motorists becoming distracted on the road.

The Registry of Motor Vehicles reported more than 400 accidents linked to cell phones in Massachusetts last year.
Source: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO16207/

Video: mms://wm.world.mii-streaming.net/media/whdh/windowsmedia/news_articles/l060316_cell_phone_bill.wmv

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
it's a good plan IMO, but like the Senator says "there's no evidence that hands free helps either". Hang up and F'king DRIVE...

·
Registered
392 Posts
They need to also ban talking to a passenger, listening to the radio and adjusting the heat/air conditioner without pulling over first.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BcVulcan said:
They need to also ban talking to a passenger, listening to the radio and adjusting the heat/air conditioner without pulling over first.
Those activies do diminish your attention span, but more attention is required for speaking on a mobile phone. I remember a study (maybe search for it later) that compared it to driving drunk.

·
Banned
521 Posts
it's about time they do something like this. I cant say every time, but certainly most of the time someone f*cks up and does something stupid in front of me they're holding a cell phone against their ear. there may not be any official studies or proof that hands-free devices help, but I'd bet my money that they do make SOME difference. at the least it sounds like a great compromise between all or none. does anyone know who or what to contact (maybe via email) to pust for this to pass?

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
l3uddha said:
it's about time they do something like this. I cant say every time, but certainly most of the time someone f*cks up and does something stupid in front of me they're holding a cell phone against their ear. there may not be any official studies or proof that hands-free devices help, but I'd bet my money that they do make SOME difference. at the least it sounds like a great compromise between all or none. does anyone know who or what to contact (maybe via email) to pust for this to pass?
Your local congressperson.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/legis.htm

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think you should be able to use a phone if you have a certain IQ. Dumb people cannot handle driving and talking. However, intelligent people can handle the task. It sounds like a good law, but I do occaisionally talk while driving. Most of the people that cause problems on the roads while talking on the phone are mental midgets just waiting for darwinism to kick into effect on them.

·
Registered
671 Posts
l3uddha said:
you really want to put your life in the hands of some "mental midget"?

No, thats why I said you should have to have a certain IQ to talk on a cell phone while driving. This rule would exclude the "mental midgets." Anyway I doubt that my idea would ever materialize, I think you're reading to far into what I said.

·
Banned
521 Posts
yes people will always talk on the phone while driving. but the reality of it is that it's just not safe for other people on the road; especially motorcyclists. you and I both talk on the phone while driving sometimes, but that doesn't make us any exception to the fact that we're posing a greater danger to other motorists. a kid from Hingham in his early 20s was killed just this past fall from a woman driving an SUV and talking on her phone... how many more people are going to have to die before it's recognized as a problem? for some of you- is it going to take some asshole on a cellphone putting YOU in the hospital before you care? a few dollars spent on a hands-free device is definitly worth saving even just one life. it might even be your own...

·
Registered
671 Posts
l3uddha said:
yes people will always talk on the phone while driving. but the reality of it is that it's just not safe for other people on the road; especially motorcyclists. you and I both talk on the phone while driving sometimes, but that doesn't make us any exception to the fact that we're posing a greater danger to other motorists. a kid from Hingham in his early 20s was killed just this past fall from a woman driving an SUV and talking on her phone... how many more people are going to have to die before it's recognized as a problem? for some of you- is it going to take some asshole on a cellphone putting YOU in the hospital before you care? a few dollars spent on a hands-free device is definitly worth saving even just one life. it might even be your own...
Agreed. I don't know how many times a car has almost taken me out or cut me off and the driver was on the phone. Regardless, having legislation passed is going to be difficult because as much as a distraction as cell phones are, radios, heat controls and passengers are big distractions too. Opponent of the law are going to use this to stop its passing. Do I want this law to pass? You betcha. However it's going to be tough espcially since so many think it is no big deal and for most, cell phones are more important than air.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
There are definatly people who can mantain at least marginal control of their vehicles while on a phone. Then there are a lot of people who simply cant drive worth a damn when they *arent* on a phone, and it doesnt get any better when they pick one up. More importantly, it is the latter group that is too friggin stupid to make a wise decision about when it is a good idea to use a phone (like merging on the freeway in rushhour traffic is not it).

The fact is that the people who can talk on a phone without exposing others to risk are just going to have to suffer along with the other morons who can't handle it. I know that I am perfectly willing to give up my car-phone use in echange for not having to worry (as much) about people killing me while im riding.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I talk on my cell phone while riding my bike...I have speakers and a boom mic in my helmet

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For what it's worth, there was a Myth Busters episode the compared driving while intoxicated (or close to legal intoxication) and while on a mobile phone.

The experiment suggested that those who drive while inebriated are just as dangerous as those on a mobile phone. The only difference being that one can end a conversation on a mobile phone immediately, whereas one cannot be instantly sober.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
I hope they do ban cell phones while driving a car. Nothing pisses me off more then when some moron just drives on into the rotary without yielding, or even bother looking for traffic, because they are to busy on their cell phone. I can't tell you how many times i have almost been hit by morons on their cell phones. It's mostly when they are changin lanes or yielding (cause no one in this state knows what the hell a yield sign means). Almost all of the time the people are on their phone and don't use a directional and just come on over into my lane or don't bother to yield. People in this state (and RI) have enough problems driving, never mind driving while doing something else. I hope they crack down hard on people using cell phones while driving. No warnings, just pull em over and ticket, end of story.

I gotta say the younger girls are the WORST with cell phones, They can barley drive as it is, now they got a phone glued to their ear and then it's all about them out there. If you dare beep or flip them off they don't want to hear it, they start yelling at you. Don't even bother trying to explain what they did wrong, because they think they are never wrong. We must all obey them for they own the road. Yea......they piss me off. :twofinger

·
Registered
115 Posts
what you guys dont enjoy dodging all the extra idiots who dont pay attention???
i think its fun, and besides bikes are cheap and so is the gear you trash every time you get takin out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree there needs to definately be a ban on cell phone use period. Here in RI our moronic drivers cant drive the friggen car let alone have a hands free set cause their too busy fighting or making appointments. Its simple, Pull the f'kn car over and have all the conversation in the world that you want. I have utmost repsect for the slim few drivers I ever see doing just that.

I dont know how many times i've almost gotten smoked within the last year cause of boobs and their cell phones. I recently nearly lowsided due to one idiot coming down a one way street the wrong way into a cross intersection while I was coming into it. Her reason for not stopping when I started screaming at her? "I didnt have a stop sign".. Of course not you reject, your on a one way the wrong way. If you weren't on the damn phone you might have seen the three "Wrong Way" signs you passed coming down it.

I hate cells, I never owned one, never will.

Just noted the tread date was from '06 but oh well, either way we should have a ban.

·
Banned
2,619 Posts
I personally think this is the biggest bullshit on earth. I think if you get in an accident you should be penalized if its your fault. I think if you violate a traffic law, you should be penalized accordingly...

If usinga cell phone causes you to do one of those things, then you should get a ticket for what you did wrong... but for gods sake, don't take away the right or ability to use your cell phone while driving.

Some of us arent retarded and CAN multi-task, chew gum and walk at the asme time. Next they'll take away the radio because too many people are paying attention to there favorite song, then they'll take away windows so you can't go through the drive-thru and get your fatty burger with fries because you might eat while driving.

/sigh

EDIT: I also think seat belt laws are ridiculous. If I want to risk dieing by not wearing my seat belt, then let me f*cking die. :) Thanks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts