Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
mikem317 said:
Communication and debate facilitates the exposure and subsequent problems relative to society's ills. What's so hateful about this?
I don't think the topics presented lately are meant to fuel debate or facilitate misgivings. They are there to comfort in the guilt among brethren.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
license2ill said:
I don't think the topics presented lately are meant to fuel debate or facilitate misgivings. They are there to comfort in the guilt among brethren.
I take issue with the original post, because one of the posts I started was cited as such. What's more, is that King himself could recognize this very dialogue that you belittle, as presented in the forum, enlightens and encourages others to rethink their moral obligations to each other and society as a whole. In it's absense, we are in peril.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
mikem317 said:
I take issue with the original post, because one of the posts I started was cited as such. What's more, is that King himself could recognize this very dialogue that you belittle, as presented in the forum, enlightens and encourages others to rethink their moral obligations to each other and society as a whole. In it's absense, we are in peril.
I understand with your post what you were saying, and almost didnt inlcude it for this reason, but it is just an extension fo the fact hat other threads coviering this similar issue wree already around. The fact that it is even an issue is the aaprt that is troubling, and the fact hat there are two threads to discuss it, with the same logic being bantered about mkaes the point no less clear. Do I appreciate your point of view? Absolutely. I saw you working, and your thoughts aren't being singled-out in this light.

·
Show them to me...
5,983 Posts
license2ill said:
When the color of your skin becomes meaningful, it tends to take more than just a generation of welath or the opprutnity to build it for things to become "preferntial".
That is a true statement. It is not the opportunity to build wealth that is the problem. I have no problem than that. It is when one race has a greater oppertunity than another for the soul reason of their race that makes it preferential. And that is what we have today.

license2ill said:
Sure, there's poor whites in Alabam too, but they had very little of the same struggle based on racism over the generations.
You talk of struggle over the generations. It was just that, past generations. Sure, there are still people alive today who fought that struggle. And good for them, it was an honorable cause. But folks today that play that card are not looking for equality. Today's generation DOES get preferential treatment. They are just looking for more.

license2ill said:
I can understand a failure to recognize this, but it only happens at levels where you are competing for jobs, and none of those jobs are in the boardroom. The best part about all of that for the power holders, is that they keep poor groups fighting with other poor groups and blaming each other for their oppression.
No, I am talking about white collar jobs, not poor fighting against poor. The exact instance that I am thinking of where blacks getting preferential treatment happened at Alabama Power Company while I worked there as a student, not when I was competing for a job. One gentleman who I new very well informed me that unless a white was significantly more qualified than a black, he had to hire a black. Not that the white had to be more qualified, but SIGNIFICANTLY. If only slightly more qualified, the white would not get hired, for fear of legal reprisals from the crooked NAACP. If this is so in the largest empolyeer in the state, who could most likely afford legal battles better than anyone, how much less true could it be anywhere else.

I am not for any race to get preferential treatment. I am for rewards solely on what you earn, not what the color of your skin earns. Too many people today are getting rewarded based solely on the struggles of the past generations, not their own struggle.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Here we go with the hate mongering again...........not one thread but two identical threads with the same premise.

Lets get this straight, MLK did NOT ask for preferential treatment. He did not foster and propagate hate mongering. He did not envoke racial strife such as you would like to.

I am half positive you and Jesse Jackson are seriously related in some form.

I dont celebrate and give thanks to MLK as I hold ALL MEN to that standard. It wouldnt matter if it was a man of any color, black, white, red, yellow, green or purple. As a matter of fact, I dont know if I celebrate any holiday other than INDEPENDENCE DAY..........

EVERYONE should hold his ideas to be true. You obviously have a hate agenda and would like to see the continued struggle between races, afterall thats all your posts lead into.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
hybrid said:
I dont celebrate and give thanks to MLK as I hold ALL MEN to that standard.
Then I'm afraid you are going to end up sorely disappointed. The reason we even discuss Rev. King is because stood out in ways that ALL MEN do not.

EVERYONE should hold his ideas to be true. You obviously have a hate agenda and would like to see the continued struggle between races, afterall thats all your posts lead into.
This is perhaps a bit strongly stated, but then you do seem to have a flare for drama. I agree though that picking out examples of "preference" for races in order to try to illustrate an "unfair" trend is a pretty tired argument.

For all the bitching about Rev. Jackson "playing the race card" I must admit I fail to see the distinction between complaining about him then complaining about racial preferences as if it were a huge social issue.

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Thanks Dave, I do have a flair for drama! What can I say? I have an animated personality, you should really see me in action.

In anycase...........I dont give credence to the idea of racial preferencial treatment. I believe whole heartedly that everyone has an opportunity. Now whether or not a particular culture makes it easier for one to capitolize on it or not is a different story, I have many theories on the subject.

I still dont like someone beating the "woe is me" drums for no reason other than to create havoc.

The more people feed into the race/hate machine the longer it will survive

·
Shitbike
9,822 Posts
Race shouldn't even be a factor. By giving it more attention than it deserves, we end up dividing races instead of promoting equality.

But if it makes you feel any better, I'll start a thread on how rich white pricks in Congress are screwing everybody else in the country.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
So let me get this straight, the fact that there are all these hate threads topics is about prefertential treatment?

MLK had something to do with preferential treatment? Why are you so worried abut preferential treatment? You afraid you might lose some?

·
Show them to me...
5,983 Posts
license2ill said:
So let me get this straight, the fact that there are all these hate threads topics is about prefertential treatment?

MLK had something to do with preferential treatment? Why are you so worried abut preferential treatment? You afraid you might lose some?
No, MLK promoted equality, a thought that is lost on todays people. I am not so worried about preferential treatment. I am just sick and tired of hearing people whining about repression and the struggle for equality for African Americans when they had nothing to do with that struggle, except to enjoy all of the preferential treatment they have gained from their ancestors, not them, being repressed.

Afraid I might loose some? Actually, I am white, the only race that it is acceptable to discriminate against. Oh, wait, I am a very small amount Native American. Maybe I should whine about how my ancestors were treated and how everybody owes me something because of it.

Actually, I think I will do what I have always done. I worked hard in high school to earn a college scholarship. I worked hard in college to earn my degree and a good job. Maybe working hard and earning what I get works better than whining about how bad my ancestors had it, and expecting someone to give me something because of it.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
EEfz6 said:
Afraid I might loose some? Actually, I am white, the only race that it is acceptable to discriminate against. Oh, wait, I am a very small amount Native American. Maybe I should whine about how my ancestors were treated and how everybody owes me something because of it.
Sure sounds like whining to me! Do you have proof that you personally have been discriminated against because of race, or are you simply doing the same thing you are "tired" of?

·
Keeping WI HOT since 1998
2,917 Posts
BusaDave said:
Sure sounds like whining to me! Do you have proof that you personally have been discriminated against because of race, or are you simply doing the same thing you are "tired" of?
+1

The moment you stop worrying about who is keeping you down and start worrying about who you can help empower is when you've changed as a person and have fulfulled MLK's dream.

·
Show them to me...
5,983 Posts
BusaDave said:
No, but I can point out an instance where my sister was. At UAB, there is a Mr. & Mrs. UAB contest every year. When my sister attended, she got first runner up. Never thought about it much until she later gat a job at UAB. Found out from a friend of hers that worked there, who worked with the pagent, that they never choose a man or a woman of the same race that won the year before. The reason she did not win was because a white woman won the year before.

You can call it whining if you want to. In reality, it is mearly pointing out fact thatI have observed since getting into the real world, and that those facts directly dispute the context of this thread.

·
Show them to me...
5,983 Posts
sexyicecold said:
+1

The moment you stop worrying about who is keeping you down and start worrying about who you can help empower is when you've changed as a person and have fulfulled MLK's dream.
Nobody is keeping me down. I got where I am because I earned it, not because of any ethnic background. Everyone else should do the same.

·
Banned
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
LoneRanger650 said:
....but I like the avatar, license2ill - by the way, isn't that a Beastie Boys song? Aren't they white? Just curious....
The avatar has a history here at SBN, and with your boy Hybrid, and yeah the Beasties are white, and so am I.

·
Show them to me...
5,983 Posts
license2ill said:
The avatar has a history here at SBN
Isn't that one of the infamous pictures of JB

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Now Im his boy?

No it aint an infamous pic of JB thats one that floated around here forever.

Still trying to convince everyone that your right I see ill...........

when you come up with a clever argument, let me know

21 - 40 of 78 Posts