Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Celebrity homemaker Martha Stewart has been sentenced to five months in prison and fined $30,000 for lying to investigators about her sale of ImClone Systems stock in late 2001. :lame

Only five months? What the hell is that?
[I think this is the best situation to use this, because this is all it really boils down too: :spank ]

That's not even long enough for her to get settled in her bunk. Heck, that isn't even long enough for her to redecorate her cell...or bake all the inmates cookies!!! This woman irks me. Especially this whole insider trading issue. What do you all think? [/rant]

CNN Latest Write-up on this issue

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
mtnryder said:
This woman irks me. Especially this whole insider trading issue. What do you all think?
I think lots do it. I also think she was just one the unlucky who got caught. Besides, I'd be surprised if you could describe to me the actual details of her "insider trading". I'm sure you can Google for it if you're not familiar. While true to the definition, it's a far cry from the actual insider trading that injurs the market and consumers.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
It's not like she was trying to scam millions...the total amount was what 60k or something? Like Wraith said...MANY people do it, she just got caught. Hell people in corporate america don't get into the positions they do without cutting a few corners. The enron guys were screwing millions of people out of money and what not. She was just being selfish and looking after herself.

The funny thing about this whole situation is that the day she got sentenced, her stock went up 30% and she made 80 million dollars :twofinger

·
Registered
346 Posts
bet ya she wont do anytime. she is still out right now pending an appeal. Says this could take a year or more. She has the money to have this drag on for as long as she wants. She is prob home right now baking a cake and sippin on some gin.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TheWraith said:
I think lots do it. I also think she was just one the unlucky who got caught. Besides, I'd be surprised if you could describe to me the actual details of her "insider trading". I'm sure you can Google for it if you're not familiar. While true to the definition, it's a far cry from the actual insider trading that injurs the market and consumers.
Sure, I will give you that most large companies have got to sometimes look out for number one just to make ends meet sometimes and she just so happened to get caught. I also realize this type of thing does flood the market everyday. But the fact of the matter is that it is WRONG! This woman has got more money than she could begin to know what to do with, so what is an extra $60k to her?

You know, with all the massive and almost completely unpunished fraud perpetrated on the public by companies like Enron, Global Crossing, and Tyco we finally got the ring leader. :headbang

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I'm not even gonna go on a rampage about this, which I feel I should. She got the short end of the stick. She was railroaded but a bunch of egotistical men that wanted to make an example out of a sucssful woman. Look at Enron? Yes, we've all heard it a billions times, but what they did left millions in the hole with out jobs and security. And not to mention a slap on the wrist and a few billion in theri pockets. While Martha didn't. Now Im not saying that insider trading is ok, cuz it's not, but in all reality, when she pulled out she only saved $640! yes thats right folks, $640. Not 640 mil. or $640k, just a good old $640.00.. Which is less then what my Arai helmet cost.

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
I'd do her... thats my opinion

·
Registered
912 Posts
did not get what she deserved

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I have no sympathy for Stewart. She was not some helpless lass that was framed as was asserted. She was a stockbroker herself. She knows very well what she did was illegal. And the real crime wasn't the SEC violation, it was lying about it under oath.
That's like a cop claiming ignorance of speeding laws.

It is a no winner for the gov't. If they go after her, it's because she is famous.
If they didn't go after her, it's because she's famous.

Where's the win? She broke the law and is getting a very mild sentence for it. Business as usual.She wasn't slammed, she wasn't let off. An overall victory IMO.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think they made an example out of her which isn't fair. Lots of people get caught doing exactaly what she did and get a fine and/or their trading liscences taken away. They're just making an example of her because she is famous.

·
Banned
912 Posts
ppl going to jail for 10 or 20 yrs and this crazy bitch get five months!!!!!! I'd hit it! Oh shit I've had to much to drink! :alky

·
Registered
87 Posts
japbike said:
I'm not even gonna go on a rampage about this, which I feel I should. She got the short end of the stick. She was railroaded but a bunch of egotistical men that wanted to make an example out of a sucssful woman. Look at Enron? Yes, we've all heard it a billions times, but what they did left millions in the hole with out jobs and security. And not to mention a slap on the wrist and a few billion in theri pockets. While Martha didn't. Now Im not saying that insider trading is ok, cuz it's not, but in all reality, when she pulled out she only saved $640! yes thats right folks, $640. Not 640 mil. or $640k, just a good old $640.00.. Which is less then what my Arai helmet cost.
You're just mad because she has 5 months of carpet munching ahead of her. :cry

·
Registered
317 Posts
5 months in the hole aint shit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well as others have said. She knew she was breaking the law. If I did that with my broke, nobody knows me ass. I would get a LOT more than five fucking months.. So would anyone here. We wouldnt go to some fucking country club fed prison either. Then get five months house arrest! LOL! Im sure thats mansion arrest for Martha. Tough shit I say.
As far as they "did it cause she is a woman who made it" thing goes. BULLSHIT!
I think its foolish to believe that. Not flaming here, just saying. She got off very light. Five months isnt being railroaded. Your talking about someone who made millions last friday. She is better off than everyone here combined. Thats the way it is. Its BECAUSE she is Martha Stewart that she isnt in prison right now, today. She will drag this out as long as she can. So no pity for her from me.

The rich fuck the little guy. Thats how they get there. I know a lot of people who are very well off. They didnt get there from "hard work, and honesty"... Not at all. If hard work were the answer I think all of us would be on easy street.

Sorry for that rant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts