Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this in a e-mail from a buddy... anyone know if this is true or not?? If it is.. sure would be bada$$ to see Mars as big as the moon in the sky!!!

The Red Planet (MARS) is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history.

The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. By August 27, Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot.

At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. by the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Wreckless said:
Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye.
I wouldn't be holding my breath for that. I don't doubt that it will be easy to spot, but as big as the moon. Hell no. :rolleyes

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh good to know, I'll tell the GF, she was telling me about this the other day, I think she heard something on NPR. So it'll be pretty close on OCTOBER 31st... good to know.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
:bs
No freaking way.. It will still be just a little dot.. just brighter than normal.

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
No, that is mis-information. I think orginally the text said Mars at 75X magnification would appear as big as the full moon would naked eye. Mars is fairly small and pretty damn far away. Even through a telescope it's fairly small and had to see surface detail....

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Thats a nice picture. If you look just right of center you can see the Volcano Mons Olympus. Its as big as the entire state of Arizona..

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
Whats up with what looks to be a cloud at the bottom of that picture or mars? What is that?

I've always been interested in space. There is so much that we don't know about. If space is as big as scientist say it is then I HIGHLY doubt we are the only life forms here. I believe there is life else where and not to mention a whole bunch of stuff we don't know about. Never mind space, there is plenty of shit in the oceans we don't know about. Another interesting topic. And whats up with black holes? I wonder where they go........

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
Inky24 said:
Whats up with what looks to be a cloud at the bottom of that picture or mars? What is that?

QUOTE]

That's a Polar Ice Cap. With my 6 inch refractor and about 175X magnifiction I could make it out fairly easily a couple years ago at its closest approach..

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Inky24 said:

I've always been interested in space.

thats our lil RC car spinnin donuts :eek:nfloor.... ya I love spacey stuff. I Know there is life elsewhere, we just aint learn't to recognize it yet.....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah that is a pretty cool pic! Amazing what kind of stuff might be out there....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts