Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 01 GSXR 750, lately ive been hearing a ticking noise when cold coming from the cam chain side of the bike. So im thinking my cam chain tensioner went out so i bought an APE manual tensioner. I know how to install it but thats as far as my talent takes me. My question is how to i adjust it and how do i plug the hydraulic line going to the stock tensioner? Please help im stumped o_O

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
And this is why I hate these things. Don't adjust it yourself, have someone else do it. I'm not sure why everyone wants these things, a factory cam chain tensioner is a consumable item.

If you mess this up its bye bye engine. I can't be party to that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks im kinda iffy my self bout putting it on but in the last 2months i have gone through 3 tensioners, as soon as i install the new one the bike feels perfect but then it wears out. The shop i take my bike to recommended i install a maual after they took the bike apart and checked what was causing it to wear so fast after changing the cam chain guides its still wearing out, so i want to try the manual o_O

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I went through 2 factory CCT's in the first 10K. Warranty covered both. I installed an APE manual after the 2nd factory failed. In the 40K since I installed the manual, it has been adjusted once, when I had the valve adjustment service.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Directions (or a link to the directions) comes with the new tensioner.

follow those.

It is best to install the new tensioner (any tensioner) with the valve cover off so you can insure all the timing marks line up perfectly and you aren't going to casue any expensive engine damage by having cam timing change during the swap

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks i found a link on how to adjust it, but it didnt mention anything bout timing marks. Now ima be paranoid changing it. Hope i dont screw the pooch o_O

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Don't worry about the marks. Just don't turn the engine over without proper tension on the chain

Reactions: rickpandagixxer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, i installed the tensioner and it was more simpler than i thought i put tension manually and backed it out 1/4 back and lo and behold it worked no more ticking noise only problem was that i forgot to plug the hole on the engine block that pushes oil to the tensioner and yea had to clean my bike and the garage floor and ended up doing an oil change…was putting all my attention to the tensioner that i forgot to plug it lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts