Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My job has been making us work an extra 12 hour shift every other week.

We don't have a choice in the matter. Basically show up or your fired.

Virginia is a right to work state, which means they can fire you for no reason, but they have to pay unemployment if they don't have a good reason.

Anyone else have to put up with this bull shit? I want my life back, lol

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
I think I'd find another job.

I work M-F, 8 - 5. In the 3 years that I've been at my current job, I HAD to work overtime ONCE for ONE hour. For that hour, I was paid 50 bucks (5 times what I got paid per hour back then).

To hell with mandotory 12 hours of overtime.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Yup, I have to work an extra hour everyday, Mondy through Friday, then we're working at least three out of four Saturdays a month. I'd like to complain about it, but I really like money. :D

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
yeh I end up getting forced my seventh day alot. I am in skilled trades and I am low man on the totem pole so it will be that way for awhile. The main downside is I get used to that double time on my check. that and never having any time to spend all that extra dough i'm getting.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
I work way to much. It really is not mandatory since I am my boss but it will hurt me and only me if I don't. All the guys that work with me ride with me so we just blast off during the day to relax.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I do about 600+ hours overtime a year. And they're banked hours too. Not time and a half. I do 100+ hour work weeks for about 2 months of the year. Yeh me.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ride200mi said:
Check your local labor law office.
I did...

What they're doing is 100% legal. However, if they do fire me for not showing up on a mandatory overtime day, I can collect unemployment for 6 months. Unemployment checks in VA are pretty nice. I'd be getting around 75% of what I'm making now.

A 6 month vacation is sounding nice right about now, lol

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I usually work an extra shift every week. It is not mandatory, but the extra pay is WELL wellcome. (Making $800 a month makes me love being able to do overtime).

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Anything over then 8hrs we can get "extended work week" Normally don't have to but if i need extra money on a check i'll work extra that week to help out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's probably what bugs me about it... I'm financially stable and don't need the extra money. I'd much rather enjoy my weekends.

·
Registered
471 Posts
i work in a civil service job and during the hurricanes here in florida in Sept of 04.. i worked 25 12-hour shifts in a row..... I made an incredible amount of overtime.. but i was tired as hell when it was all over...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
im trying to get more hours, im only getting about 33 a week, but the pay is descent for a 19 y/o living at home, plan to move on my own as soon as the bike is paid off (about a year or two...i get a yearly bonus of around $1500 and plus my income tax, all of it is going to go toward my bike)

·
Kawpuke Extraordinare!
1,148 Posts
I work in an Emergency Communications center and we have forced overtime here at times. We have minimum staffing requirements here and if someone calls in sick or there are people on vacation then that has to be covered. Our overtime is offered to the most senior people first then if no one volunteers for it, its assigned(forced) to the least senior person who has adequate rest. We have a "12 hour rule" Once a person who has worked at least 12 hours of OT in a two week pay period they can't be forced for any more overtime unless someone can't work it, due to allready working overtime or they have their 12 hours in for the pay period. It's not a perfect system but it works, been that way ever since I've been working here and thats since 1994..

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
There is a plant here that all but expects 84+ hours a week. Even though they say that it is up to you the managers keep track of who does and does not work and can make people who have not worked as much take more shifts of overtime.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
jim schmidt said:
As he said, its perfectly legal under Federal Law. It's also legal to deny lunch and breaks. And it's legal to offer you a vacation benefit but not let you actually take it.

We work longer and harder here than in most of the countries (like France) that people like to make fun of. Hmmm.
Yep, makes you think doesn't it??

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
How can they "force" you to do this?It's an option up here and I opt to do it all the time.I had a little over2,500 hours last year.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Because I work in commission sales, when I have to work overtime, I don't get paid for it unless my total commissions are less than minimum wage. Then I get paid minimum wage for the hours I worked, plus any overtime. At least I think that's how it works...I will have to look at my check when it comes next week.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I work a minimum of 2 Authorized Unavoidable Overtime (AUO) hours a day. I usually end up putting in more like 4-5 hours a day. If I go on detail, I have to work 6 days straight on top of the 2 hours extra a day I have to work.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts