Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
over the weekend, I was out riding with my usual group hitting all three twisty roads IL has to offer :) anyway, there was a new guy with us (new to the group, not new to riding) and he was riding an 05 GSXR1000. When we pulled into the first stop, he was riding behind me, and as he dismounted from his shiney new Red/Black Gixxer, I was checking out the bike, and he walked over to my lowely SV and started looking it over, and then he looks up and me, and says to me, damn it looked like you were really having fun out there. Rowing through the gears, carrying lots of corner speed. See us on liter bikes, we just put the bikes in second or third gear and know that we can make up lost ground in the straights, but man it looks like you were really having fun out there. and boy was I. I have been lusting after a new bike for next year, but then I realized how much fun my bike is, and also realized that it isn't the tool, it's the technique. Yeah, my SV can't hang in a highway shootout, and I wouldn't want to go for a long highway ride on the bike because of it's lack of wind protection. But damn, it's a fun bike to ride.

So my question is this...

Which would you rather do.

Ride a fast bike slow

or

A slow bike fast

P.S. please don't turn this into a safety debate, don't ruin the happy.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
the answer is: ride either doesn't matter as long as i'm rideing...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I would take the speed and power any day of the week and just cause you have a liter bike doesn't mean you can't hammer in the corners. I ride with guys who will smoke most people in the corners even on there liters. They have allot of skill. Personally I like 750's , they are the perfect balance of speed and power.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exhiliration said:
Is this a liter vs 600cc discussion? Cause there is one still going on in another thread.
no it was more a statement of how much fun riding a slowerbike is. it's like sitting on a 250cc Ninja and beating the hell out of it, acting like a VERY slow version of a motoGP racer because you are riding next to the redline all day long.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
you had me going until you said "twisty roads in Illinois" and then I knew it was just another internet hoax..

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Definitely the rider.

Odd, a friend of mine, less than a year into riding, mentioned that he wanted a liter bike now!?!!! In my mind I was like, " Dude, you're f#@king crazy. I see how you ride. You're not even comfortable with that F4i you have. Mama told me that if I have nothing good to say, to not say it at all" so my reaction was...uh, okay ( numbnuts ). hehehe... I'll talk to him today to see if he was serious. I sure hope he wasn't.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would rather ride a slow bike fast. One thing that irritates me about my R6 is that I will be speeding if I get on it hard at all. I'd love to have something I could rape to death and stay within the bounds of the law if I so choose. Speaking of which, I actually had a pretty good time beating on the MSF 250s, though I would want a little more power for the street.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I'd rather ride a fast bike slow. I've got a ZZR1200 - way more bike with way more potential than I can ever possibly use on public roads.

Why, then? Because it'll still do whatever my limited skills may ask of it in the twisties, but there's just no substitute for that big-bore torque and acceleration when the mood strikes.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know exactly how you feel, I love my SV. Right now I'm putting on a GSXR 750 front end. I just got the new calipers, Nissin 6 pots, this thing is going to stop on a dime. Also the Showa's are a little shorter so it's going to turn alot easier.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Slow bike fast. Does the bike need you or would it rather have Mladin on it? If its jonesing for Mat, I know I sure as hell can't push it enough to make it interesting.

The group I've ridden w/ a few times has a Blackbird and a new R6 I love to smoke. Usually it's in a corner, but occassionally it's due to getting on the gas earlier and harder and not backing off. Ride w/ a "straightaway king" long enough and eventually you figure out their game and can find spots to whoop up on them on just about anything. :banana

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Just ride and have fun. Thats all that really matters right?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Id rather have the ability to ride a slow bike fast.. than ride a fast bike slow and just make up for it in the straights...

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I've had more fun on my 600's and 750 than I did w/the 1000's that I've owned.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ummmmmm SV's are real girly man bikes that I personally wouldnt be caught dead on.

Ive seen a million posts on tons of different boards of girly men trying to defend their girly buy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts