1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
damn/

Man Jailed for Having Deadly TB
Tuesday , April 03, 2007

Behind the county hospital's tall cinderblock walls, a 27-year-old tuberculosis patient sits in a jail cell equipped with a ventilation system that keeps germs from escaping.

Robert Daniels has been locked up indefinitely, perhaps for the rest of his life, since last July. But he has not been charged with a crime. Instead, he suffers from an extensively drug-resistant strain of tuberculosis, or XDR-TB. It is considered virtually untreatable

Though Daniels' confinement is extremely rare, health experts say it is a situation that U.S. public health officials may have to confront more and more because of the spread of drug-resistant TB and the emergence of diseases such as SARS and avian flu in this increasingly interconnected world.

"Even though the rate of TB in the U.S. is at the lowest ever this last year, we live in a globalized world where, if anything emerges anywhere, it could come to our country right away," said Mark Harrington, executive director of the Treatment Action Group, an American advocacy group.

The World Health Organization warned last year of the emergence of extensively drug-resistant TB. The new strain, which has been found throughout the world, including pockets of the former Soviet Union and Asia, is resistant not only to the first line of TB drugs but to some second-line antibiotics as well.

HIV patients with weakened immune systems are especially susceptible. In South Africa, WHO reported that 52 of 53 HIV patients died within an average of 25 days after it was discovered they also had XDR-TB.

How to deal with people infected with the new strain is a matter of debate.
http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,263380,00.html
interesting number of subjects to discuss in this one..

thoughts?

·
Sexual Chocolate
2,212 Posts
Ershank said:
Yeah, why wouldn't he be quarantined?
Easy to say when you're not the one locked up.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
hehehe. I had to take 6 months of some vicious medicine cause I got TB from my travels with the Army. Stuff called INH, and it's nasty. Beats on a liver like years of hard drinking. Gotta take vitamin B to avoid jaundice.
If any TB can resist that shit, it must be hardcore plague.

·
mmm mmm good...
6,958 Posts
one persons misery is a populations comfort...let him rot. unfortunate, yes, but necessary.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I read in another article that he doesn't have radio, TV or even a mirror in his cell...has to take a shower with Handi Wipes?!??!
I can understand locking him up for Public Safety but why does he have to be treated less than a Criminal???

·
old member
13,079 Posts
What wasn't mentioned in the posted article is that he was locked up for refusing to wear a mask in public.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
yup, in which case I am all for it. I get to work with people who potentially have TB, and I sure as hell do not it. Lock him up.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
RayOSV said:
What wasn't mentioned in the posted article is that he was locked up for refusing to wear a mask in public.

ahhh, one of those that say american is free and therefore deny that they have any sort of social responsibilty.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
TheSollyLama said:
hehehe. I had to take 6 months of some vicious medicine cause I got TB from my travels with the Army. Stuff called INH, and it's nasty. Beats on a liver like years of hard drinking. Gotta take vitamin B to avoid jaundice.
If any TB can resist that shit, it must be hardcore plague.

I had the same thing. What a pain in the ass.

·
Nurse Nymphette
7,289 Posts
I'm with R1. I also work with people with extremely infectious illnesses and bacteria. If you had to spend one day with people who have MRSA or VRE you would feel different about a person who knowingly goes out there infecting people. Germs nowadays are out of control. People either over use antibiotics or don't finish what they are supposed to take. People do not realize that when you don't do as you are supposed to with antibiotics or abuse them, you produce a strain of bacteria that becomes resistant to all known meds. It's one of the scariest things I work with.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
^^^My best friend wants to be a nurse... is an advanced EMT right now... and she doesn't take all her antibiotics though she knows better! Almost as scary as seeing nurses smoke. :2eek

Lock the guy up. If it were me, I'd understand. I'm not sure why he has such bad accomodations, but I'm sure there's a lot to the story. :dunno

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
I'm glad I have a really good immune system.

People cry about global warming all day long, but I'm more worried about untreatable sicknesses in the next 30-40 years...

We can't compete with antibiotics when germs mutate much faster...

·
Sexual Chocolate
2,212 Posts
Ershank said:
I'm glad I have a really good immune system.

People cry about global warming all day long, but I'm more worried about untreatable sicknesses in the next 30-40 years...

We can't compete with antibiotics when germs mutate much faster...
Well its cyclical we come up with the antibiotic and the germ assimilates to it then evolves and adapts. I main fear should be global warming because there are plants that havent been experimented with to see if they hold any medicinal value.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Anyone else find it funny that evolution is about to kill a ton of people who don't believe in evolution.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
lepersee, no reason not to lock him up.

What do you mean people do not believe in evolution? Human kind has evolved in a matter of 100yrs. Plants have animals have, everything has.

I hope i am around to watch people fall like flies. Hopefully i am one of the strong

·
mmm mmm good...
6,958 Posts
intelligent design....we have nothing to fear. god will not let us be eradicated by......

wait...um...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts