Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from our local paper The Herald Bulletin here in Anderson, Indiana. When will people ever learn?

Man arrested after crash kills motorcyclist
By MELANIE D. HAYES

A domestic argument and alcohol may have been the deadly mix that led to a woman’s death Saturday night.

After Robert H. Gibson, 30, 4352 W. Cross St., Anderson, argued with his girlfriend at a residence on Gunbarn Road, the girlfriend left and he followed her, according to an Anderson Police Department probable cause affidavit written by officer Norman Rayford.

Gibson followed her in his S-10 pickup truck onto West Cross Street and last remembers traveling westbound approaching Madison Avenue — until the crash, Rayford wrote.

He first narrowly missed hitting a motorcycle in the 800 block, but struck a second one head-on, driven by Sherrie Trick, 44, of Anderson, around 7:45 p.m., said APD Sgt. William Casey.

Trick was taken to Community Hospital and pronounced dead around 8:30 p.m. Saturday from multiple injuries to her head and chest, said Madison County Coroner Ned Dunnichay.

Gibson was arrested in connection with her death and is being preliminarily charged with reckless homicide and driving while intoxicated resulting in death, both Class C felonies. Initial tests show Gibson had a blood-alcohol content of .112 percent, Rayford wrote in the affidavit.

Witnesses told police they saw a red S-10 pickup truck traveling west in the 800 block of West Cross Street at a very high rate of speed, Casey said. Gibson veered onto the eastbound lane to pass several cars, anywhere from three to six, Casey said.

Meanwhile, Trick and Jimmy L. Rothell, 44, were driving eastbound on separate motorcycles.

Rothell, who was in front, was able to swerve his bike into a driveway, avoiding a head-on collision with Gibson’s oncoming speeding truck, Casey said.

Trick, though, was not able to move out of the way, and was struck head-on by the truck. The impact threw her off her motorcycle and both vehicles burst into flames, Casey said.

The woman was rushed to the hospital where she died from her injuries.

Gibson was also taken to Community Hospital to be treated for pain in his neck and chest, Norman wrote. While at the hospital, blood was taken from Gibson to test for alcohol after Norman noticed Gibson was slurring his words, had bloodshot eyes and an alcoholic odor was coming from his breath, according to the report.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
IMO, alchohol consumption + driving + dead motorcyclist = 1st degree murder. Sumbitch should get the death penalty.

I wonder if the dead motorcyclist was wearing a helmet, and why she was unable to swerve out of the way, particularly since the rider in front of her was able to.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was not wearing a helmet. The husband was able to swerve in to a drive way, but I don't know why she was not able to.

Indiana does not have mandatory helmet laws except for people under the age of 18. I always wear helmet wether it is in town or traveling to a different city. Very few, and I mean very few wear helmets in Indiana.

This is the fourth person this summer to be killed in the city of Anderson in a motorcycle accident. This is number 2 now that involved a drunk driver.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Bastage - nothing but murder. She just happened to be in the wrong place at the right time.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
F&D said:
IMO, alchohol consumption + driving + dead motorcyclist = 1st degree murder. Sumbitch should get the death penalty.
Make an example of him. There should be no tolerance for drinking and driving, period. Anywhere. Most states the punishment is pathetic; something like a 30 day suspension plus fines. It should be 6 months, at least. That'll teach 'em.

I wonder if the dead motorcyclist was wearing a helmet, and why she was unable to swerve out of the way, particularly since the rider in front of her was able to.
I was wondering the same thing; no helmet? And perhaps the truck veered into her path of travel. The first bike may have been biased to the side or something and/or the truck changed direction after passing the first bike. :dunno

·
Registered
456 Posts
I agree, drunks who kill should get 1st degree murder charges. On the news last night in Texas, a man(drunk driver) that killed 4 teenage girls is up for parole after only 5 YEARS. I hope the girls fathers lynch the SOB.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think it might be a bit difficult to convince the powers that be that it is 1st degree murder, but I agree that DWI is bullshit. I think anything beyond first offense should be several years in prison if no one gets hurt. If someone does get hurt, I'm thinking decades.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
hey, I'm orginally from Anderson!

I can't imagine how aweful that would be to see that happen to someone you love. I usually have a hard time, after reading something like this, saying that the driver should be severly punished for DWI (i.e. death, or life in prison), but riding in the wrong lane, passing cars in a fit of rage over a quarrel with a loved one...good lord man!

·
Registered
415 Posts
mikem317 said:
There should be no tolerance for drinking and driving, period. Anywhere. Most states the punishment is pathetic; something like a 30 day suspension plus fines. It should be 6 months, at least. That'll teach 'em.
you're right man

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's horrible. :( He needs to definately get some severe time out of this.

·
Living a dream....
155 Posts
F&D said:

Kill him.....:banana

·
Registered
791 Posts
u ppl are rediculous. He shouldnt be charged with any type of murder. Well, maybe manslaughter because he was drunk. Yes he was the cause of her death but she was the b***** cause of her own death. After reading the news report i thought it was hard to believe she died from head trauma with a helmet on. Now let someone die from head injuries and they had a helmet on. I'd say give him life.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Should be vehicular manslaughter and quite a bit of prison time at the very least.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
this is absolutely sickening! this guy will end up with a FU#$ick slap on the wrist compared to this poor womans family being without their loved one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a friend of mine who just lost his liscense due to a DUI. He was on a bike as well. I feel he was lucky in that no one was hurt while he was out being stupid. Not only that, he's lucky to have the chance to ever see a liscense again. Do I feel sorry for him? Nope. Every day he has to strategically find a way to work. Maybe next time he will learn.

And this idiot that killed a man's wife while driving drunk and in a rage should be an example to all in this type of situation. A wife was taken. A daughter was taken. Possibly a mother, an aunt, etc. Why? Because of one dumb moron drinking, not thinking, and driving. Is it too much to call for 1st degree murder? I don't think so. You get more jail time for writing bad checks that for a DUI.

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
Jail time for sure, but first degree murder? I'm sure in most states it needs to be premeditated and intentional, not accidental and negligent. He should be charged with the maximum that he'll get convicted of, not something ridiculous that can be defended against easily. That is why most of this forum are internet ranters, not prosecutors. ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
did anyone catch the part about both vehicles bursting into flames!? Holy shit, he must have really been screwin! fry his ass!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
mikem317 said:
Make an example of him. There should be no tolerance for drinking and driving, period. Anywhere. Most states the punishment is pathetic; something like a 30 day suspension plus fines. It should be 6 months, at least. That'll teach 'em.

Couldn't agree more.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts