Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Won my 1st race this weekend. Really took down the times since when I was at MotoMania with Joe and Brandy about a month ago running 1:45's.

Was running 1:39.xx all weekend long with about 3-4 Laps in the 1:38.7x range.

Anyway...

MAM Race Review is up on my site now:

http://www.teamsimoneracing.com/mam-0702032005.htm

·
vvv HOTDOG NECK vvv
5,293 Posts
extrakt0r said:
Was running 1:39.xx all weekend long with about 3-4 Laps in the 1:38.7x range.
It helps when you have a bike on your ass pushing you doesn't it. When I get back to Phoenix on Monday I'll let you know where there is another second or two to be gained. And no, it's not on the straights. :cheers

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Philbie said:
It helps when you have a bike on your ass pushing you doesn't it. When I get back to Phoenix on Monday I'll let you know where there is another second or two to be gained. And no, it's not on the straights. :cheers
That ain't no LIE!!! What did you tell me? DON"T LOOK BACK!!! I looked back, just to see you pass me going into the Chicane'

Good time man, good to meet you!!

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
philbie knows what he's doing and can help you alot if you listen to him....
when he got a hold of me i was a full on stunter now i would much rather race then even think about stunting or even riding street....

·
Registered
20 Posts
awesome...im new to the track scene, but after seeing pics/video id love to get into it. how far is MIM from KC (im in manhattan). as far as protection, what all do you need? im assuming a SNELL approved helmet, and full leathers and boots? just curious

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Captain Morgan said:
awesome...im new to the track scene, but after seeing pics/video id love to get into it. how far is MIM from KC (im in manhattan). as far as protection, what all do you need? im assuming a SNELL approved helmet, and full leathers and boots? just curious
You will need full leathers (one or two piece), boots, gloves that go above the wrists...

All lights and Mirrors will need to be taped over and/or removed. Oil Drain, Flug and Filter will need to be safety wired.

Anti-Freeze will need to be changed to Distilled Water or something like Engine Ice..

MAM, is about 1 hr and 50 mins from my house up north about 10 miles shy of KCI. For you it is going to probably be closer to 3 Hours...

Just get yourself all ready for next year..I hear HPT will be doing a "MotoMania" type day next year, and I would recommend HPT over MAM, much funner, and will be in your back yard :beer

·
Registered
20 Posts
yeah, ive been thinking about hpt as well. i have a lot of gear to buy before i think about doing a track day. thanks for the info though!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Captain Morgan said:
If you are in KC check out Cafe Racer they really do have some good prices and it sure helps when you can try things on that is not easy to find! Topeka will have plenty track days too it will be all new next year. Not all tracks require that much prep but it is a good idea.

·
vvv HOTDOG NECK vvv
5,293 Posts
Alright Mike, after following you for roughly 10 laps total at race pace here's where I think you can gain a second or two.

Turn 3: Mid to late corner. You really need to be wider, more midtrack. This will help you hold your exit while getting on the gas about .5-1sec earlier. Basically hang the corner out as long as possible.

Exit Turn 3 entery to 4: Not sure what gear your in here but for me 3 was taken in 3rd gear. Exit 3, short shift into 4th but this may not help you. What will help is getting the bike from the left side of the track exiting 3 back to the right hand side of the track to enter 4. Again, you'll be able to get on the gas earlier and harder.

Turn 8: 7 and 8 are connected so it's one big corner. Wide is better IMO. Your entery is pretty tight for 8 which hurts the drive out. Hang it out a little longer. Looked like you appexed it about 2ft before I was.

Turn 11: Late turn in will help alot. Get the bike way to the left (like you are going to exit the track) and dump it into the corner and hard on the gas.

Turn 14: Just like 11, get the bike to the left side to set-up the entery. Our appexes were again about 2ft different.

Exiting turn 3,8,11, and 14 I was able to get next to you alot of the time basically because I started my drive earlier and carried a little bit more corner speed.

Hopefully this helps. MAM is actually a really easy track to learn but it's a ton of fun or I wouldn't drive 1500 miles to ride it.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
racing 101 by philbie.... :fiddy
all you really had to say was "faster sissy" :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Philbie said:
Alright Mike, after following you for roughly 10 laps total at race pace here's where I think you can gain a second or two.

Turn 3: Mid to late corner. You really need to be wider, more midtrack. This will help you hold your exit while getting on the gas about .5-1sec earlier. Basically hang the corner out as long as possible.

Exit Turn 3 entery to 4: Not sure what gear your in here but for me 3 was taken in 3rd gear. Exit 3, short shift into 4th but this may not help you. What will help is getting the bike from the left side of the track exiting 3 back to the right hand side of the track to enter 4. Again, you'll be able to get on the gas earlier and harder.

Turn 8: 7 and 8 are connected so it's one big corner. Wide is better IMO. Your entery is pretty tight for 8 which hurts the drive out. Hang it out a little longer. Looked like you appexed it about 2ft before I was.

Turn 11: Late turn in will help alot. Get the bike way to the left (like you are going to exit the track) and dump it into the corner and hard on the gas.

Turn 14: Just like 11, get the bike to the left side to set-up the entery. Our appexes were again about 2ft different.

Exiting turn 3,8,11, and 14 I was able to get next to you alot of the time basically because I started my drive earlier and carried a little bit more corner speed.

Hopefully this helps. MAM is actually a really easy track to learn but it's a ton of fun or I wouldn't drive 1500 miles to ride it.

Thanks man, I appreciate the help. I still for some reason think that "tighter is faster" and try to hang to the inside of the track...Just as you have said in 3, , etc...

I really need to square the corners off more, dive in farther, flick it faster, but I am still getting some funny feadback from my suspension to do it w/o getting a little worried...

Again, appreciate your help and had alot of fun running with you last weekend..Going to see you again next year? :beer

·
vvv HOTDOG NECK vvv
5,293 Posts
extrakt0r said:
Going to see you again next year? :beer
Probably not. Gonna look into other tracks and organizations.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Philbie said:
Probably not. Gonna look into other tracks and organizations.
Have you ben to motosport racnh in texas? That was fun though it was for a school. Second Creak in Denver is a blast if it is still open next year and you wont need to do it through CCS either.

·
vvv HOTDOG NECK vvv
5,293 Posts
Got two options right now.

1. The ASMA series sends riders to Mid-Ohio to run a national something or other. In fact it's this weekend. I might try and get in with that.

2. Faster Sissy (Chad, Stalemate27) and I are looking for something like Joliet in Il.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts