Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im back on here after this winter, and want to get back on my bike.. last year i managed to ride virtually every single day, year round. This year there was more snow, but it wasn't that keeping me off my bike... Ive gotten a new job as a dance instructor and my body has taken 1st priority over my bike. I made a post awhile ago considering giving riding up.. but that is in no way happening. what i'd much rather do is make my bike better for my body.

now before I ask anything, i'd like to say without bashing that I dont believe riding a sportbike all day is good for your body, and those who claim it is and that their bodies got 'used to it' or 'adjusted' are not in the best shape. Sportbike posture is not designed for extrended time periods, period.

Id really like to make my bike more comfortable for a few reasons
a) I got nerve impingement while riding for a long time and my ass would fall asleep
b) I got groin problems from the vibrations going up between my legs, its not a joke, ask any urologist, its very common, and it can fuck your sex life up.
c) I need to maintain strong posture at work for dance, and would like it to be good outside of dance as well. I dont want to crane my neck, or strain my back in any way.
d) gripping the tank with your legs for long periods of time is also kinda bad for you and tiring. Too much tension between your legs.

What would you recommend for the following?
im 5' 10

Bars,
My 650R started out with low bars, it actually wasn't bad, but then my wrists hurt. I bar risers, but then wanted even more. I got touring handlebars, and then decided I'd add the bar risers to those... Its possible I rised them up too much, and am going to try the bars without the risers. Also Installed barsnake and bar ends

Seat
I got a air-hawk seat pad which really saved my ass, but im wanting more. Id really like a custom made seat to my ass, something that craddles me, that will also move my legs apart more so I dont need to grip the tiny tank as much, that will let me be comfortable for hours. does anyone know a top notch custom seat builder in NY or close that will custom make you a seat and check your ergonomics?

Windshield
I added the touring Windscreen, this helped, but now the wind blows right into the center of my head. I want to add a laminar lip to the aftermarket touring windshield. anyone know of a small laminar lip or windshield that can be added to the zero gravity touring windshield for the 650R? Ive seen one that can be adjusted to fit any windshield before.. Any other ideas?

pegs
Ive added racing pegs after one of mine broke off, but these are thin little metal tabs that send all the vibration to your foot... anyone know a solution to reduce vibration to your feet? and maybe also move your feet to a better position?

Thanks... what im asking is probobly better for a touring forum, but I thought i'd try. Id love to ride my bike more, but for the reasons mentioned, im hesitant to get on it for obvious reasons. I dont want to fight my bike as much.

I know a different bike is probobly the best answer but thats alot of money that I dont have right now.

Thank you!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ever wonder, if you are just on the wrong bike? Reality is, a twin has more vibrations than an inline 4, can only do so much to smoothen out the feel. I had a 650R, it was the least comfortable bike of the 5 I've owned, the seat did not work for my skinny ass. The factory handlebars caused me a ton of wrist pain, got that sorted out, but that was about the only part of the bike I could get sorted out.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've never really had a problem with the 650r. There gona be more viby then other bikes. The fz6 line is a bit smoother then twins but as fars as ergos go the 650r isnt bad.

If your haven't had the suspension dialed in then you might want to start looking into that. It will help with road conditions and it will help you relax a bit when riding. Not sure about your riding background but if your new to the sport and your probably riding to stiff. The more saddle time you put in the more relaxed you become.

If your still looking into something to help with gripping the tank look for a set of tank pads.

I ride a single 625cc bike and its viby has crap, but i don't have many problems until i start to crest 70+mph and thats due to me not having a front fairing. I've also done a 1000 mile ride on a gsxr. Any bike can be comfortable, its up to the rider.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts