Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a stock pipe, is there a way to remove the baffles(may be the wrong word--don't know) to make it louder? And if so, how do you do it?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
RSixxygrl said:
On a stock pipe, is there a way to remove the baffles(may be the wrong word--don't know) to make it louder? And if so, how do you do it?
Yes, there is. You have to open the can, remove the stock baffle and any packing, replace the baffle, re-pack, and close the can back up with rivets or something. As you will likely reduce the back-pressure, re-jetting may be necessary.

How do I know this? I have a custom creation (done by a "pro" back-yard mechanic) on my sv that converted it from a sewing machine to something with a lot more character. The baffle is a "cherry bomb" from an auto parts store. He got that so he didn't have to drill a million holes in some other baffle and it was about the right size. Put enough high-quality packing in until it sounds right. Had to enlarge the main jets one size, but no big deal. Also adjusted the idle screws and moved the clip a notch at the same time.

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So is it more trouble than it's worth to do all of that?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
It wasn't any trouble for me. I just paid the guy $80 I think for the full exhaust. He even helped me install it and do the jetting in his shop. I had heard the pipe on his bike a few times before and he got a new full Yosh exhaust. Heck of a nice guy.

If you or someone you know are handy with pretty simple metal working (popping rivets, some cutting and welding, re-doing rivets), it's not too hard. I guess it depends on how easily your stock can comes apart (that didn't sound right, but you know what I mean). Cost is probably less than $50. Maybe a muffler shop could do the work for you and even get the new baffle etc. Still would be less than a slip-on.

One warning, however, is in re-jetting. Becasue this guy had this "system" on his bike for some time and got the jetting right, we knew EXACTLY what to do on my bike (same model obviously). If you buy a slip-on for your bike, it will likely come with re-jetting recommendations if needed. If you create your own frankenstein (what I call mine), you may have to determine proper jetting on a dyno with A/F mixture analysis. THAT may make it more trouble than it's worth. Although even paying someone to do that may still be less $$ than a new slip-on.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't think I'd go that route. Hold off until you can get a good slip on exhaust.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
RSixxygrl said:
So is it more trouble than it's worth to do all of that?
i would just go with a slip-on, if you aren't going to do all the work yourself. carb work is usually expensive.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Sixxy, just post that you need someone to work on your can, and I'm sure you'll have a few dozen offers by days-end.

Seriously though, in my opinion, it isn't worth modifying, just get a used replacement or something (ebay!)

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Well, we're already talking about exhausts...

I need some ideas here. My bike's muffler seems to be broken on the inside, there is a BAD rattling from 4K to 8K rpms, I bet a plate is lose inside.
I'm pretty sure it is a dual chamber muffler, like most found on chinese bikes/scooters, however...

There is no end cap, it looks like it was soldered together and then chromed, is that possible???

How can I open it, de bafle it (add something similar to a cherry bomb instead of the dual chamber system) withot making it look like crap????

I really don't have $200 to replace it with another stock unit, that will probably break just like the one I currently have. So a cheapo mod that will get rid of the horrible ratles makes sense.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep...I have decided to just get a slip-on---I have no idea how to do that other stuff and my bike isn't carbs..but FI..and I have no clue about re-jetting.

My ex got me a good deal on a D&D (yep I want loud!!) tired of all these darn cagers coming into my lane and not hearing me. My stock pipe is way too quiet.

So I will be getting it on sometime in the next 2 weeks or so!!

Thanks guys for all your suggestions and help <wink>

·
Banned
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
StumpyNB said:
Sixxy, just post that you need someone to work on your can, and I'm sure you'll have a few dozen offers by days-end.

Seriously though, in my opinion, it isn't worth modifying, just get a used replacement or something (ebay!)
Ya think??? Offers to help me???? Hate to tell you this but it's hardly the truth :eek: I pretty much do my own wrenching on my bikes except when it's the stuff I can't do due to lack of equipment and tools in my garage..

Maybe when I get a b/f he can help me wrench on my bikes...I don't expect a man to do that but it would be nice if he could help out!! :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts