Sport Bikes banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
13 motorsports
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just posting up something that I was trying lately.

I'm building my next bike from scratch, basically it'll be my version of Roland Sands' No Regrets bike, and I looked at a variety of tail sections to see which one I thought would fit what I wanted to do best. I couldn't really find one that just screamed perfect for me, so I decided to try to build my own, check the pics and let me know whatcha think:

Took a bunch of foam blocks and glued them together, then shaped out the tail where I wanted it, in the first pictures the cowl section was too tall, I ended up shaping it a bit more:

Here's how it looks now with one fiberglass layer:

Anyway, it's a work in progress, not sure if I'm going to end up using it or not, but I'm having fun working with it, and I'll definitely post up a more detailed build log once this project really gets rolling.

thanks
Sky

·
13 motorsports
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. That's great symmetry for something so complex. I think many people use EPS for shaping. It looks like you are using an open cell soft foam. Do you find an advantatge to that?

Thanks for all the positive comments guys!

Jim, to be honest, I have no idea if it's better or worse. This is the first time I've tried something like this, and I just went to a local craft store and bought the foam blocks they had. It shapes pretty well, lots of sanding and cutting required, very messy job :)

I'll definitely keep this thread updated with the progress.

I started out trying to make it a new ducati style tail with a zx6r cowl section, then it took on the 1000rr vents on the front, now it's just a homogolation of everything. I wanted to keep it low and wide though, the bike itself will have a very wide engine and swingarm, so I wanted to keep the symmetry.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
so are you planning on doing an undertail exhaust on the bike? what kind of frame are you using, what engine, what swing arm?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I skimmed through your chopper build man, that thing is wicked! nice job! You've set the bar high for this coming bike!:cheers

·
13 motorsports
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so are you planning on doing an undertail exhaust on the bike? what kind of frame are you using, what engine, what swing arm?
I'm still up in the air about the exhaust because it depends on whether I decide to turbo it or not. If I do, it'll be an undertail style exhaust. If I don't, it'll be standard GP style.
The frame I will build myself, it will unfortunately be made out of steel, so it will be heavyish, but hopefully I can keep the total weight of the bike to around 450-475lbs. The engine will be a Yamaha Road Warrior engine. 102inch motor, air cooled, quite a beast. The engine is fuel injected, but I'll be using my own injection plus megasquirt management. The swingarm is a Buell RSD swingarm, it has a built in oil tank for the oil return if I decide to go turbo. Here it is:

Should be a fun build, but it'll probably take me about two years to complete. Unless of course I get a job that pays double.

I skimmed through your chopper build man, that thing is wicked! nice job! You've set the bar high for this coming bike!:cheers
Thanks man I appreciate it. You learn a little more each project, hopefully this will be the best one yet. Honestly, if this bike doesn't wheelie in fourth gear, I will have failed in my mission :)

I gotta ask though, what is up with the chair? That thing looks like a classic!

Oh yeah, nice work so far!
I feel the same way about the chair, but I made a deal with my wife. I take care of the garage, and she can do what she wants in the house.

·
Your mom goes to college
1,001 Posts
I always wanted to try and form something like that. I have an old fiat that needs a new center console I'm going to have to try this out.

how about some schematics on that pipe bender you made? I bought one of those $150 shits from harbor frieght and it sucks balls

·
13 motorsports
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bender was made using plans from Got_trikes

They are really detailed plans, and it's easy to build. The hardest part of the whole thing is drilling the myriad of large holes through thick metal. I paid a machine shop to drill my holes.

Total cost for the bender including one die from pro-tools was around $420.00

·
13 motorsports
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm checking out your Neon build, and all I can say is WOW.

Ha, thanks man I appreciate it. That Neon build was a lot of fun as well. Every project I get more confidence that I can do anything I want if I truly invest the time and effort that is necessary.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Wow. That's great symmetry for something so complex. I think many people use EPS for shaping. It looks like you are using an open cell soft foam. Do you find an advantatge to that?
I've always used 10 or 15lb. urethane foam which is open cell. It shapes so much better than polystyrene and i've never had much trouble pulling the cured fiberglass off. The lightweight foams carve fast with hand tools. The heavier weights are good for machining, if you want to be very precise.

The downside is that the dust is very abrasive and gets into everything.

This is the stuff:
[URL="http://www.generalplastics.com/uploads/product/FR-7100.jpg"]http://www.generalplastics.com/uploads/product/FR-7100.jpg[/URL]

Though, I don't think they sell very small quantities. We buy it by the pallet.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
how about some schematics on that pipe bender you made? I bought one of those $150 shits from harbor frieght and it sucks balls
Not to hijack too much, but you can actually buy a bender for about what he spent to build his.

Model 3 Manual or Hydraulic Tubing Bender at Van Sant Enterprises, Inc.

It's not a POS either. I've been building Roll Cages, Bumpers, and complete Tube Chassis with mine for 6 years or so. It's also easily converted to hydraulic power (I converted mine for about $80)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts