Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am constantly working towards the "cafe racer" style with my SV650.
I have put together some pictures of the process of building my tank so far.
It's lower, narrower, longer and I think looks much better plus the front part of the tank is going to be the air box.
It still needs a lot but it is getting there.
Hope you enjoy
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Automotive wheel system Fender
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive lighting Input device Automotive design Office equipment
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Automotive lighting Bumper Cookware and bakeware Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Plant Wood Automotive exterior Grass Composite material
Automotive tire Helmet Automotive lighting Hood Plant
Fuel tank Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A little more progress. Handle bars in position to suit the fairing. Running my custom bent bars I made allowed me to rotate them in the clamps to maintain ergonomics.
Smoothed some welds and massaging knee and bar dents, slapped some black primer on to just get better prospective. No filler of any type at this stage what you see in all metal.
I am very happy with the design and don't feel the photos do justice to how good the proportions look.
Still working on it, but the end is in sight.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still going, ran the welds all the way, some need attention but I will get there.
Made up a hinge bracket for the back of the tank out of 2mm plate strong enough to check it works but thin enough to bend to get it sitting correctly and check the opening.
Now that the tank hinge is holding the tank in the correct place, opens and closes, and gaps to the seat and frame are good, I can go ahead and add bracing to strengthen the hinge.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wheel
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just been cleaning up welds and cutting up the bits to weld in and make it a fuel tight vessel.
But as usual my mind wanders and I am thinking about the air box end.
Despite appearances of having ample volume and room for a better air filter no matter how I envisage the layout the Ram Air filter I am using is the perfect size to fit.

I wanted to run a sealed air box with a filter at the intake with the possibility of cold ram air induction.
One method and the easier, have the tank seal on the air filter flange of the fish carburettor and mount the air cleaner vertical facing forward at the front of this chamber.
Basically making a hat (not big volume maybe a liter) a bit like what's used on blow though turbo setups.

Another way would be encase the whole carb in a box that would be fitted to the manifold and then the carb holds it in place the tank would have a seal and create the lid of the box when the tank is down. The filter would be at the front facing forward as above.
Down side is keeping this sealed the throttle cable and fuel line will pass through the box not to mention the potential for leaks between the tank and the box.

A third option is leave under the tank open, leave the air filter where it is. Then to reduce the air temp fit a baffle from the radiator directing hot air past the intake manifold and try to duct cool air around the intake.

I am leaning towards no.3 KISS keep it simple stupid.
After Ideas so please tell me what comes to mind.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flattening the top of the tank ready to fit the bung for the new old school cap.
I have still not welded in the back of the tank so there is access for panel beating and I can tip it on its end and fill it to find its true capacity.
Automotive tire Gas Rim Automotive wheel system Grass
Ice cube Drinkware Fluid Liquid Gas
Plant Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Plant Automotive exterior
Helmet Plant Hood Gas Electric blue
Water Liquid Drinkware Fluid Drink

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I silver soldered the new filler bung into the tank I am making.
The bung is stainless steel and the tank is mild steel.
I am using 2% silver rod from the plumbing supplies.
I used a propane torch to tin around the tank opening and I planned to sweat the stainless part on after adding flux.
But my propane torch was not heating the stainless quick enough.
So after some experimenting I used the Tig torch set to AC 35amps with flux and gas, and it worked
😁

Tin Liquid Fluid Automotive tire Household hardware
Hood Motor vehicle Fish Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Hood Automotive lighting Fluid Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have resorted the shape to within 2mm. I know it still looks very rough but when I run straight edges on it I am not game to go closer or even smooth it for fear of creating highs that will become a problem when finishing it off.
The plan is once the petcock and fuel level sender fittings are are done, I will do a final leak test.
Then
1. strip it and epoxy prime it.
2. cover the whole thing with fiber glass re-enforced filler.
3. then finishing filler and 2k primer sand 400 finish and paint..
4. add a tank sealer.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
Fluid Gas Liquid Bottle Transparency

1 - 10 of 10 Posts