Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried it, if so

Where did you get your kit?

How was it?

Any tips for anyone willing to try it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
My sister bought me a Mr. Beer, beer making kit. I made some Pale Ale with it and it came out pretty good. The most important part was making sure everything is clean and sanitized or the beer will come out with a bad taste.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
samadams.com, i looked into it, but you got to buy the kit and the hobs and stuff, id rather just buy a 12 pack for less

·
Omniscient Aardvark
812 Posts
I've made my own wine before. I did it the cheap way by just dumping bread yeast into fruit juice. It usually spoiled, but I made some pineapple wine that turned out alright. I'd like to get a kit and do it the right way.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Yes! The first thing you need to do is get this book, 'The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing' by Charlie Papazian.

DO NOT DO NOT simply follow the stupid instructions on a can of malt extract you get at a home brew supply place. That's for making weak-ass prohibition era bathtub brew. Follow the book, or gets some recipes at a shop.

Google for home brew supply shops in your area. Lot's of helpful advice and supplies. I've used St. Patrick's of Texas mail order with excellent results.

Homebrewing can be as easy or as involved as you want to make it. Start out with an easy, simple recipe so you won't be intimidated.

:beer

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Its a LOT of work. You better enjoy the process, not focusing on the end result.

My brother brews his own beer, and after doing it with him once, I said screw that, Im buying it, its easier. He loves the making of the beer, the beer is just the joy of the work involved.

He did years of resarch into bacterial levels, the molecular levels of hops and barleys, yeast cultures and so on. Finally, years later, he makes a damn good beer.

·
Who Dat?
6,535 Posts
agcountry said:
The most important part was making sure everything is clean and sanitized or the beer will come out with a bad taste.
:cheers

Great hobby, buy the kits when you start out and go from there.

·
Registered
277 Posts
its cheap! and pretty good too...what more can you ask for?

·
Lowlife
7,019 Posts
go to brewboard.com
I have mostly used a semi-local homebrew shop for supplies. Getting started cost me about 200 bucks, but I got some upgraded stuff, and extras. You can start cheaper, but I assure you the mr. beer stuff is garbage compared to what you can do if you read up and get informed. I just started a couple years ago, but have only had one batch with mixed results.
The main thing is to make sure everything is thoroughly sanitized, and from there ensure that what you are mixing will in fact make a brew. You can look up recipes; your local homebrew guy can help you with those. You can even get ingredients on-line from expanded local brewshops.
There are some folks who do only full mash, which is time consuming and expensive to start. Then you have to think about whether you would like to bottle or keg. It can get expensive.
Here's what I do:
1- decide on a stlye
2- look for recipes
3- verify if others have enjoyed the recipe...again the brewboard^
4- clean your utensils
5- follow directions for recipe which includes boiling malt, (either dried extract or liquid, dried being more reliable), water, hops, and a bag of mixed grains.
6- Xfer to fermentation with added yeast (read up on the characteristics)
7- xfer to 2nd fermentation to make the brew more clear
8- Xfer to bottles. < the biggest PITA IMO..when I move, I am getting a keg set up.
9- Enjoy...

Keep in mind most of your buddies and family will not enjoy the full flavor of real beer, which means you get to drink it all :cheers . Most people will say...something like HOLY @#[email protected]#%@ that's strong! You just smile and drink the rest of theirs. :beer

If you want more info feel free to pm me. I'm by no means an expert compared to most of the guys at the brewboard forum, but I can help you some I'm sure.

An idea of what I started with:
1- 5 gal. glass carboy w/themometer
1- 6.5 gal. glass carboy w/thermometer
1- 6.5 gal pail with spigot.
1- high temp boiling thermomemeter
1- stainless steel boiling pot I think 10 gal.? it's big.
1- big azz high temp spoon

edit: you'll also need airlocks and stoppers but they are cheap.
Some sanitizer, couple cases of bottles & caps, an auto siphon (a must have), a fermometer (to take alcohol readings). I may be forgetting some stuff.
Anyways, it's a great hobby, and I have gotten to where I can feel pretty good about making my own tweaks to existing recipes, my last batch was awesome...I have 2 left that I have been saving:twofinger . Really, I think some of the guys make it more difficult than it should be, Hope I didn't make it sound too crazy either, but to sum up; boil ingredients, cool, add yeast, ferment, bottle or keg, let sit, drink. Again most important is sanitization. A couple guys at work did a brew on the same day with same obviously unsanitized equipment and both have skunk beer. Hasn't happened to me yet.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm sounds fun and different, I am definitely gonna have to give it a try at some point. Like all my cooking / drink making schemes go it will end up me dumping a lil bit of everything into one brew and making something interesting. Like the time I mixed every hard drink I had in one glass, and it changed color over time. Went from clear, to orange, to green, to black over five minutes. my sister drank it when it was clear, and puking by minute 5 haha, she only had a small sip.

Good times, good times.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
Before you know it you'll have a whole room set aside for beer making stuff, extra kegs, CO2 tanks, an outdoor gas cooker and a dedicated beer refrigerator with taps... :lol

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
jk750 said:
Before you know it you'll have a whole room set aside for beer making stuff, extra kegs, CO2 tanks, an outdoor gas cooker and a dedicated beer refrigerator with taps... :lol

Dam Beeraholics..... :alky

I have a beermiester.... I just buy a keg and grin :banana

got 3 kegs in teh garage 2 SS and one oldie alloy job that came with the beermiester which I got for 20 bucks! Best 20 I prolly ever spent! :alky

·
Go-Cart Mozart
3,177 Posts
I got myself a cornelius kegging system and about 6 corny kegs. I try to keep at least 2 on tap at all times with another conditioning. Modified an old fridge with taps, it aint too pretty, but it delivers cold goodness on demand. I got most of the more expensive stuff from ebay, and built my own brewstation. I still prefer partial mash to full grain just because it is easier to steep a little for flavor, than to go through all the work of a full grain brew. But somebody nailed it earlier, you have to:

1. Like real beer
2. Enjoy brewing as a process and a hobby
3. Have the patience to learn
4. Believe everyone who tells you to sanitize
5. Sanitize

1 - 15 of 15 Posts