Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike:
2002 Triumph Sprint RS w/ Raceteched front end and Penske Rear, Genmar risers, Ventura Rack & 45 liter pack, 190-200 mile tanks when two-up, 40amp alternator (should be good for any heated equipment needed two-up) 955cc torquey motor, and ~450 load capacity of the bike should be fine as well.

The problem:
The GF is not comfy enough for anything over 300 miles in a day. Originally thought to go to a two bike setup. One for track days and aggressive riding and a Touringish bike for two-up riding w/ lockable luggage. I want to be able to do 500 mile day to a destination, have my stuff stored away locked while I leave the bike unattended. I recently purchased a YZF600r for the solo bike but I'm wondering if I can convert the RS into a good two-up bike instead of taking a loss on the RS and purchasing a used Connie, ST1100, or Triumph Trophy.

The symptoms:
GF (10:40:51 AM): i am uncomfortable for the most part due to the leaning over
GF (10:41:17 AM): my butt is ok for a few hours and my knees too
GF (10:41:28 AM): wind sometimes bothers me when i lean back

The proposed solution:
Add convertibars-> http://www.convertibars.com/checkit.cfm For my bike specifically, adds 4 inch vertical and 3 in pullback at most. Sargent Seat. And Givi side cases plus keep the Ventura pack on top, or sides cases and Givi top box: http://www.triumphnet.com/st/acc/thunderbike/index.htm either way giving her some sort of backrest/back pad to lean against every once in awhile.

The questions:
Has anyone done this with their bike? Had the same dilemma? Considered the same comfort options or different ones I'm not aware of? What was the outcome? Is it possible to approach the comfort level of a proper sport-TOURING bike with this solution at a substantial cost savings? The RS was my do everything bike, and has been wonderful, but now I have the YZF for solo riding and track days, and it's either a proper touring bike and sell the RS with a loss or mod the RS to fit for some $....thanks!

Bryce

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
seat? makes a huge diff. esp for back seaters, i prefer corbin, but have heard good things about sargeant......as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had bad experience with Corbin Customer Service, and the seat was rock hard on my old ZX-11. I guess seats are like helmets (sheei or arai head) Corbin or softer Sarget? Come on Racerx....give me the answer dang it, u always have them! :p

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
yeah, i 've heard bad things about corbins cust. service. thats why i rode up to there doorsteps and had them put it on, while i waited...... :twofinger

does the sargent have a backrest for the "bitch", that'd be nice, corbin does, but it's not cheap....

corbin does use a harder foam, but i think on the longer rides it's what you want, kinda like cars. RUE did a 300mi day on the back of my bike, and she loved it. so has every girl who's ridden backseat w/ me.......they liked the custom pistolgrip i provided...... :lol

i don't have any exp. w/ sargent so i don't know........

what about www.helibars.com

·
Registered
971 Posts
How much touring/two up riding do you do? If you're frequently taking 300mile + trips two up, I'd say buy a true touring bike (and that doesnt just mean goldwing or full dresser) as your second scoot.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Buy a harley

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
why they're not really that comfy..........

i rode my SPORT-tourer from houston to elpaso ~750mi in 1 day, then el paso to LA ~802 miles the next day (hung over)......:lol

hell, those 2 days equaled 1/2 your riding experience robbice......:lol

·
Registered
912 Posts
almost a 1/4 now racer X

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
well, good for you......in my 2 week trip i rode about as many as you've had in 4? yrs riding........:lol

some year from know you'll get to 10k mi........:lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.