Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I got my bike around 7.7k miles, I've only changed the oil, brake fluid, and brake pads. I am currently at around 10k miles. The bike runs fine but I am wondering if anything major needs to be done around this time. I ran some seafoam the other day in the gas and there seems to be an improvement performance wise. I'm waiting until 12k miles and having it fully serviced. Should I be checking for anything now (carbs, valve adjustment, etc)? Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
(picture of the bike is attached, let me know what you think!)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Sparkplugs, valve adjustment is recommended and 7500 miles. Once you have the valve adjustment its not a bad idea to have the carbs cleaned and re-sync'd too. Grease fitting on the swing arm... I did new wheel bearings, sprockets and chain at 30,000 miles. Other than that the bike is pretty durable. Lube your throttle cables, clutch cable. Any body else have any suggestions?

Reactions: JKL11293

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Good Looking Bike

Ever since I got my bike around 7.7k miles, I've only changed the oil, brake fluid, and brake pads. I am currently at around 10k miles. The bike runs fine but I am wondering if anything major needs to be done around this time. I ran some seafoam the other day in the gas and there seems to be an improvement performance wise. I'm waiting until 12k miles and having it fully serviced. Should I be checking for anything now (carbs, valve adjustment, etc)? Any advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
(picture of the bike is attached, let me know what you think!)
Ah, good old Ocean Metallic Blue, good looking 05.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Buy the service manual and do the entire list.

Add in changing the fork oil, pull the rubber shield off the wheel bearings and repack them

-Valve adjustment
-carburetor synchronization
-Throttle position sensor adjustment
-Clean the air filter
-new plugs
-oil/filter
-clean and repack steering head bearings
-clean and re grease the clutch lever and brake lever pivot bushings, also do the shift lever pivot and brake pedal pivot...sidestand and footpegs if so inclined
-pressure lube the throttle and clutch cables
-flush the brake fluid front and rear
-change the fork oil
-repack the wheel bearings
-repack all the swingarm bearings and the rear suspension linkages
-clean your chain , lube it up and adjust it properly
-while you have the wheels off, turn your calipers so you can qtip clean the brake piston that is expeosed before pushing the pistons all the way into the claiper (do this before flushing the brake fluid but after emptying the master cylinder)
flush the radiator and install new coolant

In short anything and everything that is adjustable and comes with lube, clean it and re lube

·
Premium Member
5,547 Posts
Thanks Lloyd I knew I could count on you.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I could add in;
clean the carburetors thoroughly and rejet them
check the battery and charging sytem
set up your suspension as best it can be for your weight and riding style

1 - 7 of 7 Posts