Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my tankbag off the bike last night and noticed a few circular indentions in the paint where the magnets were. I looked at the bottom of the tankbag and it looked like the rubber/neoprene material was kinda smooth where the magnets were like it melted a little. There weren't any black marks on the paint but I did see some indentions in the paint.

It is parked in my garage that gets very hot in the summer. Yesterday the heat was almost 100 degrees outside, inside the garage gets hotter than that.

I am guessing when the paint heated up it got a little soft and the magnets sunk into the paint a little. Its not extremely noticeable but you can see it if you look close. I'm hoping it evens back out when it gets hot again and heats up the paint. I probably won't be using my tankbag anymore, good thing I have a good tailbag, although the tankbag was perfect for using my cd player while riding to control the volume.

watch your tankbags in the heat!! you might want to take them off in extreme heat.

·
Registered
63 Posts
FWIW, I had the same thing happen with the Marsee tank bag that I used on my old Ninja 500. I haven't put the tankbag on my FZ6 yet. I think I'm going to put some 3M film on my tank before I try using the tank bag.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
Mine hasnt done that yet. If you keep your gas tank near full it might keep the tank cool enough to not melt your bag. Just a thought. Try goo gone or wd 40 on your marks and it might make em go away.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your paint. Hope you find a way to fix it. I'm going to take my tankbag off after riding and throw it on a shelf from now on. Hasn't gotten that hot here in Wisconsin yet, but still...

Thanks for posting and best of luck getting your tank back to normal. :-(

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't leave my tank bag on when I'm done riding. It gets hot in my shed where I keep it so I could see the same thing happening.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts