Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made it to Alaska (and home), now with pics etc.

Made it to fairbanks, AK. 12 days, 5300 miles, and a lot of mountains between here and texas.

The road is not for the faint of heart and any tiny mistake on a supersport can kill your motorcycle (or you I suppose). On a dual sport it's not bad at all if you were to keep it slow and only ride when fully alert. On the 14 it requires being very careful; I still had a few mishaps but so far no bent rim and she still runs hard. From calgary to fair banks you probably ride 200 miles total of gravel would be my guess, or about 6-8% of the total mileage.

I did not expect how cold it would get here in the mornings. People from canada up said it's colder than usual but it is what it is. We are going to see Denali and Anchorage, then head south. They had a little snow here a couple days ago and it's very hard to get out of your tent in the morning while already cold, then re-attatch everything in cold rain, then start riding through it. What can I say, Life is Hard in the Yukon. They should put that on the welcome sign when you come in.

·
5,547 Posts
Congrats! Any pics of your adventure?

·
Registered
147 Posts
WOW!

WTG! Your gonna love Denali!

I spent the month of June leaving from the East coast and pushing to Deadhorse then, home again.

Everyday there are moments of complete Awe nestled in hours of what some would call boredom. But, how bored can you be when your riding????

Was an awesome trip

If you haven't already traveled through Jasper National Forest, You simply MUST do it!

Ride safe and ..............post some pics!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a lot of photos. Will post some good ones when I get back home and have my cable to the camera. I'm at 8k miles for the trip and am at a friend's place in Portland, just got home from a jazz club here. The canyon north of Vancouver (fraser?) was an excellent ride minus the traffic. Haines junction to Haines (alaska) was top 3 of the entire trip no doubt. Seen and photographed black bear, grizzly, moose, elk, red deer, $hit even some reindeer and wild bison.

Almost 8500 on my road attacks and these tires just won't die, very impressed. These have felt the pain of 200+hp and the entire rocky mountain range all the way up and down.

·
This End Up
1,960 Posts
Beautiful photos. My friend and I rode to AK, YT and NT in 2007 - we did see quite a variety of bikes on that trip; everything from true adventure bikes to Harley dressers riding 2-up and towing trailers. The one universal truth is that whatever bike you choose to take won't ever be as clean as it was when you left. :)

So what's next on your route? I know a lot of folks do the Dalton; we chose the Dempster instead - much better accomodations at the end.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a lot of photos. Will post some good ones when I get back home and have my cable to the camera. I'm at 8k miles for the trip and am at a friend's place in Portland, just got home from a jazz club here. The canyon north of Vancouver (fraser?) was an excellent ride minus the traffic. Haines junction to Haines (alaska) was top 3 of the entire trip no doubt. Seen and photographed black bear, grizzly, moose, elk, red deer, $hit even some reindeer and wild bison.

Almost 8500 on my road attacks and these tires just won't die, very impressed. These have felt the pain of 200+hp and the entire rocky mountain range all the way up and down.

We had run from Whitehorse down to Skagway and in the morning, took the ferry across to Haines ($31) /passenger and bike, and then ran up to Haines junction. The road condition is quite nice and the beauty! :bowdown The air has a crispness to it cold/clean and .......... You just can't do it justice with a camera. That Mountain photo that I posted was from the junction run.

After getting home I was pretty much like."Been there done that" but less than 5 weeks later.........I'm ready to go again!

Your tire life is incredible. I went through 3 sets of tires in 15,000 miles. The way they pave up there leaves the road with a very sharp/textured surface. Super grippy....but tire eating...

How much camping did you do?

We got to the point that we'd rather camp than hotel/motel it. Sometimes we would go full Rambo and just ride off the road out of sight and pitch the tent....

Thinking next summer a buddy and I may grab some used DR650's and do the Continental divide trail

Can't wait for your pics :eatpop

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although already a thousand miles from home in Austin, our ride does not truly begin until we see the rocky mountains slowly rising out from the ground in northern New Mexico. We will follow these mountains as far north as they will grant us passage. We will sleep, eat, and ride all within the rocky mountains for over five thousand miles on our trip north alone.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Freezing temperatures, unrelenting rain, 50 mile per hour winds, hours of hail, no visibility.. we press on.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Through Alberta and into British Columbia they grow taller and bear a more weathered appearance.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The infamous Yukon territory of north west Canada trades you punishing weather and desolation for staggering views and the one and only road that gives you a chance at reaching Alaska.
The wonderful Alaskan "highway"

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

As autumn approaches the rain comes and rarely leaves in alaska. We went three days without seeing the sun or being dry.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It cleared up as we headed towards Tok from Anchorage. I saw more rainbows that day in a 200 mile stretch than I'd seen in my entire life.

On our way south we stopped by Haines and visited my friend's brother. We swapped out the motorbikes for propellers for a few days.

We followed the coast down and headed east across the desert.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

The desert heat crippled my machine so we rode the final 1,500 miles by night. Thanks to all those that helped us along the way and these pictures don't even come close to doing justice for the land we traveled through. 10,600 miles, 31 days (5 days off), 13 states, 3 Canadian provinces, and way more than enough problems to call this an adventure rather than a vacation.

·
ninja shadow warrior
242 Posts
awesome adventure, thanks for sharing...:bowdown

1 - 20 of 33 Posts