Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work from home, so I decided to install my 18T front sprocket during lunch break today.

Note - chains & sprockets wear together. I have 3700 miles on my bike, but worse case is that the new sprocket to match.

Yesterday, I tried Tractor Supply and Sears looking for a 36mm & 46mm socket. Sears only had the american sizes that large, same with tractor supply.

I ended up at Pep Boys, which didn't seem to have them, but I finally found a 36mm socket - $7.99, and a 18" breaker bar for $16.99.

I ordered the 46mm socket off Ebay. (that is for the rear wheel)

It's a very easy job to do the swap, as others have said.

I placed the bike in 1st gear to lock the sprocket from moving. I took a 17mm socket, loosen the rear wheel adjustment bolt. Take the tool kit spanner and loosen the chain. Remove (5) bolts from the front sprocket cover using a 8mm socket, remove cover. Good time to clean, mine was filthy.

Took the breaker bar, loosened the front sprocket nut using the 36mm socket. It loosened easily and I didn't even need to bend the tab on the lock washer. Make sure you look at how the nut goes on, it can't be reversed. It's dished on one side

Work the old socket off, put the new one on, torque, bend the lock washer, reinstalled the cover & bolts, adjust chain. Tada, 15 minutes and you are done.

Took it out to lunch. Riding around town, I did notice it felt more peppy, lifted the front easier, but no earth changing feeling.

I didn't notice any difference in noise between the stock rubber buffered sprocket and the all steel JT sprocket.

I didn't notice any abnormal noise indicating the chain wasn't fitting the sprocket well (which I had checked during install by freewheeling)

I'll report back when I get some more seat time. So far, so good!

Note the dish cut in the nut:

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
American sizes work fine; at those large sizes there's plenty of surface area to drive the nuts. 41mm = 1 5/8, 46mm = 1 13/16. Sears has 36mm, or did last summer when I bought one.

Out of curiousity, what is stock on your bike? 18t is pretty big.

KeS

+1

For my rear wheel, i use a 1 13/16" socket that I got for 10 bucks. Works like a charm. :)

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
19T is stock

American sizes work fine; at those large sizes there's plenty of surface area to drive the nuts. 41mm = 1 5/8, 46mm = 1 13/16. Sears has 36mm, or did last summer when I bought one.

Out of curiousity, what is stock on your bike? 18t is pretty big.

KeS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts