Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been toying with Oxford luggage but haven't found the right fit with the FZ6, though I see other people are using the tank bag and panniers. But there are reasons I hesitate to use them; they don't work as well as on my wife's bike (Bandit) because . . .

The tank bag has a strap which is supposed to go around the steering column, but on the Fazer there just isn't the room to get it around and TOTALLY out of the way of the steering--what have others done with their tank bags? I'm not willing to comprise and have the strap potentially wedge into the swivel under the handlebars . . . As for the panniers, I've fitted the Oxford ones but they look dorky because they're forced out by the grab rails (think: oversize ears).

Call me precious, but I don't want to loose my Fazer's good looks. But this summer I'm going on short tours and need the luggage capacity.

Your thoughts are welcome.

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
:needpics

No problems with my tank bag...

What's a pannier?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're from Montreal . . . word comes from Old French but is used where I come from in Canada.

pannier |?pany?r; ?pan??r| noun 1 a basket • each of a pair of bags or boxes fitted on either side of the rear wheel of a bicycle or motorcycle. 2 historical part of a skirt looped up around the hips. • ORIGIN Middle English : from Old French panier, from Latin panarium ‘breadbasket,’ from panis ‘bread.’

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
You weird man :boink

Why would you want to wear a "skirt looped up around the hips" while riding your bike?!? :smokin J/K

Do a search. Plenty of pictures of tank bags, top cases and side cases on the site (maybe even skirts!!!)

Edit: You're right about the pannier. However, technically a 'panier' in French is a straw type basket. This is what I envisaged on your FZ6!! I thought for a moment there you were in France!!! :eek:nfloor

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you checked out the Cortech Sport tailbag/saddlebag system? http://www.tourmaster.com/product.html?sku=82-332

I have the tailbag and am thinking of adding the saddlebags. The tailbag is great because it's good-sized, expandable, and comes with a detachable shoulder strap and rain cover.

The saddlebags, which ride on or under the seat with a regular harness, also attach to the tailbag while on the bike.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Heres some luggage to look at. LuggageLocker
No bungies on the tail trunk & the tank bag doesn't touch the tank.
I'm waiting to receive my Tank Locker any day now and I love the tail trunk(Elite Seat Sak).
I'll put up a pic then.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also have the Oxford Pannier :gay i just runned the straps under the
grab rails. The bags touch the exhaust a little but after a 200 km run there was
not a single mark on them.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
its still a funny word, if its there or not i really dont care, some words make me laugh, thats one of them.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Got a pannier on his rear. :gay

·
the human bike-rack
419 Posts
yup we also call them panniers here in Australia- must be just those vocab-deprived seppos who've never heard of them

·
Registered
82 Posts
Verso said:
Got a pic?

I'm taking a beating for 'pannier,' but it's on the Oxford website. I swear.
sorry no picture, maybe i can take one but it won't be the same
because of the weight. When i was traveling with them the weight
was 5 kg each and that made them touch the exhaust slightly.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
us americans don't like them big words, haha

·
Registered
227 Posts
hey...have u tried Cargo Stuff...I use the tankbag and tail pack, haven't had the chance to use the panniers(saddle bags) yet, but will get some when i go touring a bit! they work pretty well...as far as the strap for the steering, has one of those, but I normally leave it strapped around the handle-bar, relatively loose. Is only there to stop the whole bag coming loose if u doo an emergency stop etc..not much use besides that for securing it. the magnets on the tank are the main securing point and they work pretty well.

here som pics of them for u..oh...if u do get these, they come with waterproof outers..Don't go to fast with those, managed to get mine ripped on the motorway! don't thing they were designed for 80 mph+

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
While everyone is hacking on their tank/seat bags, Luggagelocker.com makes clean, fuss free tank and tail bags.
Not to mention, Les, the owner has put MY FZ6 on his homepage! With more to follow.
While they cost slightly more, they're American made and have the quality to follow the fit. As in no scratches on any of your bodywork.
Its a easy decision if you want clean...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts