Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, buying a bike and the clutch cable is real stiff, needs some lube put in it. How is the best way to do this? What are some good, easy to find, cheap lubes to use? Is there some easy applicator that I can easily get it down into the cable? Trying to keep it cheap and simple, yet get the job done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are a couple ways to lube cables.

The cheapest is to create a funnel using some paper around the cable housing and pour a little motor oil into it. Give the oil some time to drain down the cable from the funnel.

A better method is to purchase a lubricant that comes with a needle. You simply insert the needle into the cable housing and squeeze a bit out. I'm not sure of the name of the lubricant, but any good shop should have it.

(I use a cable lubricant attachment and a can of dry film lubricant. However, the attachment costs a few dollars.)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Just go to your local speed shop. I lube my cables any time I do an oil change on my bike. It's a good idea to adjust your cables back into spec too. Nothing sucks more than having a clutch cable snap during a mountain ride, 20 miles from anything. Believe it, it's happened to me. Any needle type applicator is fine. The screw on applicators are overrated i think. Just put a few drops in and work the cable back and forth. Also, make absolutley sure the cable routing is correct. A pinched, or even misadjusted cable is a much more likely reason for a stiff cable than lack of lubrication; especially since most of the newer cables are teflon lined and require no lubrication.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, it is a 94 EN500, and has not been riden in like 6 months, so I think a little lube and working it some will fix the problem. You say speed shop, what is that exactly? I was just thinking a normal automotive shop.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
any kind of bike shop, automotive shop. Check your local dealership. They should have some. Thats where i get mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts