Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently changed my bars from the LSL Street Bar to the LSL Drag Bar. The Street Bar is a much better alternative to the stock bars but I wanted to get lower and was unable to go as low as I wanted with them.

First, let me say a few things. The Street Bar is a very good solution because they will work without hitting the tank or fairing if adjusted properly. They do come too long and need to be cut off some on each end but don't required the addition of steering stops to make them work.

Being the extreme and obsessive person that I am, I decided that it was worth the challenge to add adjustable steering stops so that I could go lower with my bars. The FZ6 has a tremendous amount of steering range...more than a typical sportbike, and I didn't feel it would be a big deal for ME to lose some of it. I have included pics of the steering stops which are nothing more than 6mm cap head bolts and washers treaded into holes that I drilled and tapped into the stop area of the steering head. It did require the complete removal of the front fairing to be able to get a drill in that area but it was worth it. Adding the steering stops would also allow lowering of the stock bars much more than is possible without them.

Now for the bars..... As I mentioned, I'm using the LSL Drag bar now and ended up cutting 3 1/8" off each side leaving a total spread of 26.5". The Drag Bar gives me about 1 1/2 lower posture than the Street bar which makes tucking and getting up on top of the bars with my chin close to the mirror in the corners much easier and more comfortable. I've ridden a couple of times and find the posture and handling for aggressive riding very, very good. I truely love them. Here are 3 pages with pics.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wished I lived closer to you, because then perhaps you could help me change out my bar. I don't have a clue how to do it. By the way, I love how you got your PDA fastened to the bike. Do you use it as GPS or MP3 player?

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks....It's a Garmin M5 GPS/pocket PC. It's attached using my Camera mount and some stuff i made up. I've yet to find a Ram mount for a GPS like this and Garmin doesn't make a good holder for it that I could rig up to a mount on a bike so I made my own out of Aluminum. I don't have charging ability with the bike yet though so that's something I may work out some day.

·
Registered
150 Posts
What are you going to do with the LSL Street Bars? If you are going to sell them, shoot me an IM with your price.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sold!

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
OMG! Is that... pavement???

Nice tarmac protector you rigged up there, Buddy! :eek:nfloor

Seriously, the bar looks great! :cheers

:squid :kewlpics

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why yes it is fresh new tarmac!!! Shame I don't have a pocket bike in my garage to run it in with... :rolleyes

·
Registered
482 Posts
FAZR6 said:
Why yes it is fresh new tarmac!!! Shame I don't have a pocket bike in my garage to run it in with... :rolleyes
Damn!!! I didn't even notice...now "we" can both ride the bikes up your driveway instead of parking 'em done by the road! :cheers

Can't wait to check out those bars, although I am partial to my Suburbans.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With steering stops installed, I think the suburbans may even be better with their increased turn back. Maybe another project coming soon?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey Mike,

I just installed the LSL handle bars that you sent me and I had a few questions. Did you have problems with the levers when you turned the bars all the way to left or right hitting the fairing? I positioned the handle bars and levers as best I could, but the brake and clutch levers will hit the fairing when turned all the way. Also, did you have bar ends on this handle bar? The stock bar ends will not fit on these.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Here are some pictures in which I am refering to.

Attachments

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You have them mounted wrong. try rotating them back towards you to the point where the lsl label is facing you....that will pull the bars back away from the mirrors...

turn them back until the controls just barely clear the tank in a full turn.

Order you some LSL bar ends from spieglerusa.com

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
That may explain why they don't fit right. I've actually gotten a bit use to them that way, but I would rather have clearance when turning the bars.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks. I just fixed the bars and they fit much better. It's also more comfortable this way too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I positioned the handle bars and levers as best I could, but the brake and clutch levers will hit the fairing when turned all the way. Also, did you have bar ends on this handle bar? The stock bar ends will not fit on these.[/QUOTE]

I just installed a set of lsl drag bars and got the stock ends to work by drilling the ends of the handle bars out with a 9/16 drill bit and then tapping them out with a 16mm by 1.5

1 - 20 of 20 Posts