Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding the usual roads that I take whenever I go out riding during the weekend. For most of the way, I was doing alright, taking the same pace that I always do. I come up on the last few miles of the route when I catch up to an suv pulling a boat. I pass him and then get stuck behind a truck. I'm looking for an opportunity to pass, when I look in my rearview mirrors and see that suv I passed tailgating me. Immediately, a passing opportunity comes up and I take it. I speed up to about 85 when the next turn comes up. I start thinking that I'm going a bit too fast and start braking (trail) and leaning into the turn. Then I start panicking. My eyes looked forward, off the road and the bike went in that direction. I hit a patch of mud and the bike turns away from me and tosses me off. It slid for about 20 feet or so, while I tucked and rolled off. I got up immediately and see the truck and the suv pass by and keep going. Bastards.

I look at the bike and it's lying on the left side. I manage to pick it up and see the extent of the damage. Fairing dented the tank a little bit. The whole front fairing is moved to the right. Left signal was pulled off, with the bulb bouncing around in there. The left tail plastic was broken off, with that black electrical box broken off. The steering is off. With the wheel pointing in line with the bike, the handle bars are pointing towards the left a few inches.

Quite fortunately, I got away with some bruises, a twisted ankle, and a sore ego. I was wearing a Teknic leather jacket, gloves, a pair of boots, jeans and a full-faced helmet. Got some scrapes on the helmet, and mud all over my gear. Luckily, I had went off onto some muddied grass.

After I got up, I immediately thought, "dammit, why didn't I just stay on the throttle and keep leaning?" But I guess if there was any doubt, it was better to crash into mud and not asphalt.

Anyhow, anyone know where I can get replacement plastics?

·
Registered
360 Posts
You're a good man to relate.

I ride hot and still find myself backing off occassionally when I'm too hot into my favorite twisties, takes discipline to keep on the throttle even when you are purposely bending the horizon. Now add minor freak out and impending doom. You're in one piece and didn't end up in the E.R.. Couple of hundred bucks and you're aces again. I could tell you way too many stories of my E.R. and those that end as, "Time of death one eighteen a.m.".

Don't let it eat you up. You learned, you'll practice more now on keeping it hot and leaned. Props to you on the gear too, summa time, heat and all that considered.

Keep the upper lip stiff, thanks for keeping it real and sharing. I know it coulda been me.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Man, I feel soooo bad for you!. I can't even imagine how bummed you must be..Only thing that matters is that you didn't get seriously hurt and be appreciative of that. I can't believe no one stopped to make sure you were all right or see if you needed help. Hopefully you'll be able to get parts and get it looking like new again soon.
Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
Time like this I wish I had great words of wisdom, but those before me have summed it up ... bottom line you put yourself in position so that the decision you made and action you executed kept you from serious injury ... you will replay the event in your mind over and over and it is all part of the learning process ....

I am glad you are alive and healthy

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'm glad I'm alright for the most part.

Looking back, if I had leaned a little more, I would have probably made it through fine. I had run off the road right as I was coming towards the exit.

Oh well, lesson learned (the hard way). :bj

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap. Very glad to hear that you survived with a few scratches & sprains. They will all heal just like you can heal the bike of it's blemishes. You did the right thing lowsiding off into the mud. Could have been worse if you lowsided in front of the truck on the asphalt and then the bastard.....well kept going straight. Prolly thank your gear for keeping your skin intact.

http://www.cycletrader.com/partshome.html Quick link to some online parts dealers. You should be able to find what you are looking for.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/ You can find under the Parts & Services link the parts catalogue. The catalogue will tell you what parts you need to find.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of the accident and even more sorry for the poor guy pulling the boat. His negligence and 'hot' attitude on the road wasn't very nice...

The important part is that you're okay and obviously thinking ahead by riding with gear. Hope the injuries heal as quick as you get on that FZ6.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
sad to hear about the bike. On the same hand im glad to hear your pretty much alright.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap and I'm glad to hear you are okay with exception of some bruises and a sprain.

I had someone get pissed at me the other day and tried to do the same thing...tailgate me so I know exactly what you were dealing it. It is a very nervous and uneasy feeling not knowing if they are going to try to ram you or run off of the road. You probably would have made the curve flawlessly if they were not pushing you and making you nervous. I hope you get the bike fixed soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you ride back home or did you get towed? Definitely go get the bike checked out thoroughly. At least you low sided instead of high sided.

·
Registered
205 Posts
krushchev said:
Anyhow, anyone know where I can get replacement plastics?
www.cycle-parts.com and you will save 15-20% off retail on OEM parts, however, you must have the part number to plug into the site.

So, go to the yamaha site first and get the part numbers form the parts catalogue.

Shipping is very fair and pretty quick.

Skippy :blowingup Happy 4th everyone, (even if it is a celebration of kicking our arses)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xantri said:
Did you ride back home or did you get towed? Definitely go get the bike checked out thoroughly. At least you low sided instead of high sided.
I waited for my bro-in-law to come pick me up with his truck. I wasn't in a state of mind to continue riding and I didn't want to risk something that I didn't notice breaking off and possibly making me crash (again).

Thanks, virtualt that's exactly what I was looking for.

thanks again guys, I guess I'm now part of that group of people that "have", instead of that other one, the "will's". :bj

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear that, in all that missery, it's good to know that You are in good shape at least.

I've never had that experience yet, but I know that my time will come as for all others when I and the Bike do not agree upon which direction to go.

:boids:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah, I just wanted to let you know we feel your pain man. I took my ninja 250 (my first bike) off the road one time, but got pretty lucky, a few bumps and bruises and like $50 worth of parts. I do have a nice 2 or 3" scar on my shin to remind me. I'm glad for it, it's a nice reminder to stay heads up. Hope the FZ is okay, and your spirits are not hardmed to bad, you sound like your looking on the bright side of it. Thanks for sharing, keeps us all in the real world, so to speak.

Take care of yourself.

·
Registered
103 Posts
kevinmcdade said:
I had someone get pissed at me the other day and tried to do the same thing...tailgate me so I know exactly what you were dealing it. It is a very nervous and uneasy feeling not knowing if they are going to try to ram you or run off of the road. You probably would have made the curve flawlessly if they were not pushing you and making you nervous. I hope you get the bike fixed soon.
Living in SC teaches you to be either really patient with idiotic drivers or grow an insane amount of road rage as a driver. I became the ladder part of the two and yell at everyone while I am in the car. I figure if people are driving stupid then they should be told so. Well since I bought the bike I have been contining my ways of informing drivers of their stupidity, lack of driving skills, age (young or old), and cell phone usage while driving. After yelling at a guy for not checking his blind spot and almost hitting me, he tailgated me in a threatening manner. I had no where to go and I seriously got scared for my safety. I eventually got away with an illegal pass across the double yellow figuring id rather have a ticket than broken parts. I will be a little more hesitant with what finger I show people while passing. 450lbs versus 4000lbs makes sense.

I know this was not your case, krushchev. It seems like you just passed because he was going too slow. That just sucks he had to be an ass and tailgate you. I agree in the fact without that A-Hole behind you then it would have been at least one less in factor to play in the misshap and probably an event changing one.
Good to hear you are ok and on the positive note At least you walked away.

·
Registered
130 Posts
At least you walked away and have had the experiance to remind you next time.
Good luck with the repairs although it will never be the same it will ride on!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts