Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowered the sliders in the tree, I started last week with 1/2 inch and it felt good and had no ill affects so I dropped to a full inch today and I have to say this feels like the way Yamaha should have sent the bike, it feels more planted stable and I can now touch the floor flat foot.
I reccomend this to everyone, as it is great takes less than 10 minutes to do and is reversable in the same time.
Set your bike on the centerstand and loosen the 4 allen bolts, push the front until the desired height, and retighten the bolts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks for the info Cavi.
I was thinking of some lower handlebars & heavier fluid in the front. I might try sliding the forks up like you did as well, after hearing your good results.

As a sidenote to you and anybody else thinking of doing this, move both fork tubes as close to exactly the same amount as possible, I advise the use of a caliper or other fine measuring instrument. And make sure to mind the manufacturer's torque specs on the triple clamp, crimping a fork tube or having it slide further in/out is not something you want. I know ;).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Cavi said:
I lowered the sliders in the tree, I started last week with 1/2 inch and it felt good and had no ill affects so I dropped to a full inch today and I have to say this feels like the way Yamaha should have sent the bike
ive done some reading on this topic because i too would like a little more leg room. and i may experiment sometime. However some sites suggest that only a 5 mm change can dramatically effect cornering and straight line stability. (perhaps different bikes, different effects)

Youve changed yours 38mm.

Im looking at the front tire wondering if there is room for full suspension travel ie. bottom out, without touching rubber to metal.

i am by no means an expert in the area of suspension... just the old woman that lives in my head,and lately shes been talking alot about safety young man!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Normally with SS bikes that have a more aggressive riding position, the rear sets also accomodate this riding position. Do you notice any falter in shifting now that you have lowered the bars and changed the foot angle on the pegs?

I know even with stock ergos, I somewhat wish the levers were a little lower for faster shifting, and lowering the front end would exagerate this for me.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have found that the lowering of the front has made the bike more stable, also I upshift without the clutch 90% of the time, but shifting is about the same. Also I have ordered the Rizoma rearset, they should be here in a month or so. Anyway keep in mind that you do drop the front and do not like it it only takes minutes to return to normal. Personally I doubt you will want to return. Also it does not bottom out.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I just dropped the sidestand and lowered the shift lever and it makes a big difference in my shifting. I used to occasionally miss a hard accelerated shift from 1st to 2nd but with the lowered lever it pops into gear everytime so far. I wanted to drop the side stand to get it out of the way of the shift lever.

I am thinking about dropping the tree a little now that you mentioned it. I think by doing this you would increase the front to back weight ratio to greater than stock 50% and give a more aggressive riding position. All good for riding hard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts