Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,
Has anyone lowered the FZR? I just picked a 97 FZR600 up as a first bike. I have to toe it around and can't exactly flat foot it. I did a search on google for lowering kits but didn't come up with much. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
wheezy said:
Adjust the rear suspension.
what a worthless post, i don't know how to either but this person learns nothing from what you just said. just felt like pointing it out. plus i don't even think that's the right answer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
lol, I'm new but not stupid enough to try and mess around with the rear shock at this point, even if it is adjustable it wouldn't lower it necessarily. Even if it did it'd be less than an inch of play and would probably have side effects on handling preformance.

·
Registered
47 Posts
With enough time effort and money anything is possible.

You can as Wheezy suggests adjust the rear suspension. You can back the preload off the rear shock spring and that will increase the sag and bring you closer to the ground. It will also make the rear suspension soft and it will bottom more often and/or handle awkwardly.

You can buy different length dogbones for the shock linkage. I can't remember if shorter or longer drops the height. You could even have a new suspension link fabbed or alter the shock mount.

You could shave a little off the luxuriously thick seat padding, too.

Before you alter your FZR go to your Yamaha dealer and sit on a new R1. They are much taller.

I have short little legs and can't flat foot my FZR or really any bike I've ever owned. I started on dirt bikes and they are much taller so flat footing is out of the question for pretty much everyone there. When stopped I have one foot on a peg and the other on the ground. It just takes some time to get used to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ChloroFiend said:
shorter dogbones should lower it.
I think that would change the handling too much.

When I originally got my bike I couldnt flat foot it. I looked at the suspension and it was on "7". After changing it to "5" I could flat foot it but now that I have ridden some I usually just stand on one foot anyway when I stop.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Actually, longer dogbones will lower the bike. But if you do that, you should also lower the front as well to keeping the bike's handling the same.

As you have found out, adjusting the rear shock will adjust the height... not much, but it may be enough. Another thing you may want to consider is taking what little padding there is out of the seat to get your feet closer to the ground.

By the way, depending on how much you weight, you could get away with adjusting the rear shock even more. "3" is the "standard" setting.

*EDIT: Here's an article that talks about lowering a bike...

http://sportrider.com/tech/146_0210_lower/

·
Registered
262 Posts
yeah, i'm a frik'n retard but trying to learn all this stuff. my suspension actually needs to be tightened...shit drops about 3 in when i sit on it. Is this hard to do?

·
Registered
452 Posts
TheFizzer said:
yeah, i'm a frik'n retard but trying to learn all this stuff. my suspension actually needs to be tightened...shit drops about 3 in when i sit on it. Is this hard to do?
If you have a stock rear shock, then it's not hard to do. Look inside the toolkit, there should be a wrench that is used to adjust the shock.

Sort of like this, but silver colored:
http://www.pokfire.com/images/product/wrenches/wrenchspark5.jpg

Anyway, to make the shock stiffer, adjust it to a higher number. Stock setting is "3"... "7" being the stiffest.

·
Registered
452 Posts
TheFizzer said:
nah, don't have one of those..i'll find one. appreciate it!
You can actually use a screwdriver and hammer to adjust the shock as well... just be careful.

·
Registered
452 Posts
TheFizzer said:
shit doesn't budge. gonna find a tool. do appreciate the suggestion
Good luck finding one. I just checked eBay for any auctions, but couldn't find any. You could get an entire toolkit from a dealer, but it'll probably be a bit pricey.

·
Registered
262 Posts
found a few guys in my local sbnforum with one...one guy even has an fzr that has the tool from his original kit. I love sbn...everybody is cool and helps out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts