Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I want to lower my R6 around 2". I found some links for $50 bucks but the cheapest lowering kickstand I have found is $130. With the stock kickstand if I lower it 2", how well the bike sit? My thoughts are it would sit almost straight up and be very easy to tip over. I have also seen stock stands cut down and rewelded, but I would rather not go that way incase I ever wanted to go back to stock. For those of you who have lowered your bikes, what did you do. I am not looking for opinions on lowering, just kickstand answers..... Thanks.

·
Bashed the bike :(
75 Posts
If $130 is the cheapest lowered kickstand, why not just get a normal kickstand and chop/re-weld it. Then you'll have a kickstand for each height. Or you could just chop/re-weld yours and buy a standard one later if you decide to go back. Either options sounds cheaper than lowered kickstands if they're $130.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just had my kickstand cut. I just cut a inch out of the stock kickstand. And now its sits just fine. Even if I went back stock,an inch wouldn't make that big of a difference. A guy that has a shop did it for me for $20.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I can put the balls of my feet down, but I would like to flatfoot. I also like the way it looks lowered. Everyone says it affects the handling, but I do not ride as agressive as most. I will probably never take the bike to its full ability.

·
mmm mmm good...
6,958 Posts
none of us can take the bike to its ability.....i'll leave it at that.

we answered your questions in your other thread thats still running, what else do you wanna know?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well, I can put the balls of my feet down, but I would like to flatfoot. I also like the way it looks lowered. Everyone says it affects the handling, but I do not ride as agressive as most. I will probably never take the bike to its full ability.
Why do you feel you need to flat foot it?? If you can get the balls of your feet down, you can easily maintain control of the bike when you're stopped. And yes, lowering your bike will mess up your handling. Cornering will suck!! How do I know?? A buddy of mine had his bike lowered when he first bought it and asked me to ride it home for him. That ride home was completely miserable. He raised it back to stock height almost immediately. Lowering a bike is good if you're drag racing. That's about it. Do yourself a favor and don't lower your bike.

·
It's Kevopalooza time!
1,011 Posts
I wouldn't lower it either. Even if you don't ride hard at all a slow turn in a parking lot sucks, your ballance is all bass ackwards. I can only touch the ball of my foot one one! I do just fine the only thing I have trouble with is backing up. Look into shaving down your seat if your worried about it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So....I have decided to NOT lower the bike. Thank you all for your replied, even though some of them were rude as shit(Choco). The suspension when I bought it was soo tight, and now it has seemed to settle a bit and feels lower, about an inch. It is not easier for me to touch the ground as well as back up. While I am not going to lower it now, it is not something that is out of the question in the future either. Thanks for all your feedback....even you Choco...

·
mmm mmm good...
6,958 Posts
may be you'd prefer that i used some emoticons?

look, people like you are a dime a dozen. other peoples perception of how you look on the bike is more important than which bike youre on, its capabilities, and youre ability to control it....

thats fine, to each his own. but what gets me is that you buy a $10k bike and want to get the cheapest parts possible.....maybe you can be cheap with aesthetics, but if you start playing around with the suspension with cheap chinese knock-off parts, then youre kinda putting yourself at risk. you think the chinese do a finite-element analysis on those dogbones to make sure theyre safe?

they just want your money....they dont give a damn if you end up sliding down the grinder.

sorry if ya think im being a dick, but just think about shit before you start ruining on of the best bikes available.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Most of those dog bones are made of the same material as the stock one. I made mine out of a little bit stronger aluminum. I lowered it 2 inches and cut my kick stand so it doesn't fall. I live in Fl so most roads are straight. Even when we go up into Alabama I can keep up with all of my friends with stock height bikes. I never have been to a track but if I did I would certainly raise it back up. For what I use my bike for being lowered isn't a big deal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Choco, the parts I was gonna buy were not Chinese. They were made in America by one of the leading aftermarket parts companies. I bet you probably have some of their stuff on your bike right now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I actually lowered my bike... I know I will be flamed, but I could barely touch my toes. Had it lowered 2" and now I can put the balls of my feet on the pavement. I wasn't going to lower it but I tried backing up with only my toes and needless to say I almost dropped it.

·
It's Kevopalooza time!
1,011 Posts
I actually lowered my bike... I know I will be flamed, but I could barely touch my toes. Had it lowered 2" and now I can put the balls of my feet on the pavement. I wasn't going to lower it but I tried backing up with only my toes and needless to say I almost dropped it.
Seeing how you just bought your bike, its not broken in yet. The bike will sit alittle lower once you have been riding it for about 3,000 miles. I almost didn't buy mine because I couldn't reach but its perfect right now. Although I can just touch the ball of my foot on one side.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Seeing how you just bought your bike, its not broken in yet. The bike will sit a little lower once you have been riding it for about 3,000 miles.
I was wondering about that. After 1700 miles I've begun to notice I can touch down easier. I thought my legs were getting longer! :lao

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hear a lot of ppl talk about how the handling sucks once a bike is lowered. From my experience of owning my bike that is lowered,i like it more than stock. I can really dig into corners better. I know that when a bike is stretched,then handling becomes ridiculous. just my 2 cent

·
Registered
46 Posts
I hear a lot of ppl talk about how the handling sucks once a bike is lowered. From my experience of owning my bike that is lowered,i like it more than stock. I can really dig into corners better. I know that when a bike is stretched,then handling becomes ridiculous. just my 2 cent

+1 mine is lowered but not stretched.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts